Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Galley counter top material

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Another alternative is soapstone (saratoga soapstone) kinda in between a corian and granite, very elegant looking
But very soft I would imagine.

One of the advantages of granite is that it is very hard, making it pretty much scratch proof and long lasting. I'm thinking of going with granite when I re-do my galley. It's very cheap in Brazil (starting at USD100 per 10 sq. feet, installed).
Old 10-08-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Has anybody tried a liquid glass like product? It's the clear epoxy you see on bar and table tops at restaurants. You can embed all sorts of things prior to pouring.

Cutting boards become necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Another alternative is soapstone (saratoga soapstone) kinda in between a corian and granite, very elegant looking
Soapstone varies quite a bit in composition, but it can be very soft: as low as about 2 on the Moh scale (fingernails, 2.5 Mohs, can scratch it). However, the soapstone used for countertops is usually a bit harder, at around 4 to 5 Mohs (slightly harder than Corian, which is usually about 3.5 Mohs). Still pretty easily scratched, particularly in a place as busy as a sailboat cabin.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
...One of the advantages of granite is that it is very hard, making it pretty much scratch proof and long lasting. I'm thinking of going with granite when I re-do my galley. It's very cheap in Brazil (starting at USD100 per 10 sq. feet, installed).
Nothing is perfect. Granite is also porous and must be sealed (and maintained) or it can be permanently stained.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
Has anybody tried a liquid glass like product? It's the clear epoxy you see on bar and table tops at restaurants.....
I applied this to a bar top in my rec room at a previous house. It is easily scratched. Coasters, placemats, etc were needed religiously. If you look at one in a bar, they are hazed over by the scratching, although, don't look too bad. I'm also certain they can't take much heat.

Installation is probably the tougher part, unless you can remove your counter tops from the boat. They need to be perfectly level, and I mean perfectly. The stuff seeks a level and the slightest imperfection will be noticed over the length of a counter. No way any of our boats are that level. The advantage, however, is that the fids will provide a natural barrier to hold the stuff in place. Letting it run over the edge is very difficult to get right.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-08-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Minnewaska, I've never had a granite counter at home stain, but I suppose it's possible. Marble is porous and stains easily. Granite (at least the Brazilian stuff) stands up to a lot of punishment and keeps looking great. The weight is a bit of an issue on a boat though ...
Old 10-08-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Corian, marble and granite cannot take a hot pan right out of the oven or off the burner. If you need this capability look at the synthetic granites; stilestone or caesar stone. The color and detail variations are enormous and can be templated to fit the unusual shapes and dimensions of a sailboat. It is incredibly strong and very easy to clean up. It is price competitive with granite and more so if you go looking for decorator granite. The only draw back is its weight, which is only important on a smaller boat like mine.
Old 10-08-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I applied this to a bar top in my rec room at a previous house. It is easily scratched. Coasters, placemats, etc were needed religiously. If you look at one in a bar, they are hazed over by the scratching, although, don't look too bad. I'm also certain they can't take much heat.

Installation is probably the tougher part, unless you can remove your counter tops from the boat. They need to be perfectly level, and I mean perfectly. The stuff seeks a level and the slightest imperfection will be noticed over the length of a counter. No way any of our boats are that level. The advantage, however, is that the fids will provide a natural barrier to hold the stuff in place. Letting it run over the edge is very difficult to get right.
Cool. I wonder if there are different versions with different levels of hardness. A few I've seen still remain pretty clear. One I saw said it'd withstand 270 degrees without marring or staining... so not hot pan or pot, but definitely coffee or plate worthy.

My galley is pretty tiny, so I'm not worried about seeing it out of level for a portion... but the chances of getting the boat to stop swaying back and forth during installation is pretty slim. I may try it and do a write up.

Old 10-08-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Granite can't take the heat? Huh?!?

One of the reasons for granite as a countertop material is that it CAN take the heat of a 400º pan without a problem...
HowStuffWorks "How Granite Countertops Work"
Quote:
... Formed ov*er millions of years from compressed molten rock under the Earth's surface, granite is extremely hard and durable.

With its heat-resistant qualities, granite doesn't blister; it's also unlikely to scratch or chip. When used for kitchen countertops, it's far superior to marble, synthetic and laminate...
Granite is porous, and it will stain if you place oil on it.
Old 10-08-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Wasn't there a thread where some of the members of this forum gave grief to a guy who lost his boat that was equipped with granite counter tops? Something about spending money on counter tops and not on essential gear.

I'm finishing the interior of me boat. While we have granite in the kitchen and and an old corian top in the garage I'm going with high pressure plastic laminates, Formica.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.