Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Galley counter top material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
My galley is pretty tiny, so I'm not worried about seeing it out of level for a portion... but the chances of getting the boat to stop swaying back and forth during installation is pretty slim. I may try it and do a write up.
Why not do it when you haul for bottom paint? Just spend the time to carefully level the boat when you block it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Wasn't there a thread where some of the members of this forum gave grief to a guy who lost his boat that was equipped with granite counter tops? Something about spending money on counter tops and not on essential gear.
Yes, Doug Sabbag of S/V Triumph. There is a thread about it in here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 10-08-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Granite can't take the heat? Huh?!?

One of the reasons for granite as a countertop material is that it CAN take the heat of a 400ļ pan without a problem...
HowStuffWorks "How Granite Countertops Work"

Granite is porous, and it will stain if you place oil on it.
Yeah, I know all that stuff about granite. I've also seen it cracked when a heavy roasting pan was put on it straight out of the oven. I've also seen it with a big chunk broken off the edge where someone hoisted themselves up on the cabinet top. Plus, it has to be maintained, not just cleaned.
Remember, granite is full of imperfections that can be the source for cracks and chips. Plus it is ugly unless you purchase really expensive stuff.
Old 10-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If you want real stone counters on a boat, granite tiles are a pretty good option. They weigh a lot less than full stone tops and if you're careful with your grout selection they are nearly indistinguishable from one piece tops, at least if you use black or dark granite with no heavy patterning.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-08-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Why not do it when you haul for bottom paint? Just spend the time to carefully level the boat when you block it.
Because I just put the boat back in the water 2 weeks ago from painting the bottom and didn't have the time, energy or money to do the counter tops at same time.

Old 10-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Granite and marble can both crack from vibration. Most builders will require you to sign a waiver if you install a garbage disposal. This can probably be limited, if you select a stone with no vein. I have jarred about every boat I've ever sailed to the point that I could loosen teeth. Stone would make me nervous.

If you've not felt like granite was stainable, I highly suspect it was already sealed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2012
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

Stainless steel. May sound intimidating and expensive, but it is actually quite cheap and easy. Build a top with 1/2" plywood complete with cut outs for sink, etc. Find a local metal/steel yard (again, you;d be surprised how easy) and get 16guage stainless steel sheet. Often they will cut the pieces into your outer dimensions for you for $1 a cut. getting stainless from a metal yard is really cheap. For example, I just got 12gauge (pretty thick) 1" stainless tubing - 20' for $31.00. Compare that to anywhere else in the marine industry at $8/ft. You could probably get the whole counter for less than $100. Once you have the exterior dimensions cut and matched, you simply need to trace the openings on the underside, mark with a sharpie and cut with an angle grinder or even a dremel. There are even steel cutting blades for jig saws. Heck, the guys at the metal yard might do the whole thing for an extra $50.
Old 10-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While a SS countertop isn't my thing, I wonder about grades of SS. Lower grades can and do corrode before your eyes in a marine environment.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While a SS countertop isn't my thing, I wonder about grades of SS. Lower grades can and do corrode before your eyes in a marine environment.
Shop with a magnet. If it's not magnetic, odds are it's 316.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Shop with a magnet. If it's not magnetic, odds are it's 316.

MedSailor
I think lower grade SS can become magnetic, based on how its molded, but I don't think you can rely on a magnet to assure you it is 316.

I know you said, "odds are", but can't really say you would know what odds you were working with.

Jeanneau 54DS