SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wht on earth have we done?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  156680 
#1 ·
When I was a kid,my father gave me one swimming lesson...over the side of the boat..I was about 6 or so.I lived through it and learned to swim.
56 or so years later my wife and I have sold the house and everything in and around it and bought a 40'sailboat and moved aboard....holly crap,what have we done? We've owned dirt since 1978 and can't for the life of us figure out why...what were we thinking?....
We'll be wintering in Portland Oregon,not paradise for some but for native Oregonians it's home.I've seen 60 winters here and there isn't much you can say that I don't know about the weather.WE LIKE IT HERE.
Any way what I wanted to say is thanks to everyone who has written here over the last 5 years about the trials and tribulations of living aboard.Some of it was good advice ,some was not and some was uncalled for snide remarks from negative people(my dad would say"go piss up a rope "to them).
So,with that said,We're happy with our decision,we're happy with our new home,and so far we're happy with all the people we've met along the way.

#2 ·
If you are in Portland, TAKE OFF the sails in the winter, unless using them. Especially if one of them east to west winds out of E OR/Wa show up in the winter. along with some freezing rain. Enjoy the boat this winter, then get the h e double tothpick out of there!

marty

#3 ·
I am so glad to hear you have started your adventure and I look forward to any future post you decide to share while on it. The sailing community to me has always been helpful and the best knowledge seems to come from listening to other sailors real world experiences. Best of luck, fair winds and following seas to you.

#8 ·
OK...so far the boat has eaten 6 tubes of various types of silicon sealer.1 bottle of propane,the wife's iron and now a 5 pound jar of nuts and bolts....it was all here a week ago..does this stuff morph into dock lines at night? there seems to be an un ending flow of assorted lines appearing everywhere I go...I'll keep the LIMES under lock and key for the time being..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.