Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Insurance

Just a simple observation - Has any of the companies ever asked you to PROVE your certifications or experience?

My first charter resume was so bogus it literally wouldn't hold water.
PAULCR1 likes this.
Old 10-05-2012
Grumpy Cat

PAULCR1 is on a distinguished road

Hi Chuckles,
Doing things like that has always come around and bit me in the butt. I'm the kid in line at school who gets caught doing the one thing that everyone else has been doing and has gotten away with. Been that way my whole life.
Thanks though for the input we got a good chuckle out of it.
mdi likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Just a simple observation - Has any of the companies ever asked you to PROVE your certifications or experience?

My first charter resume was so bogus it literally wouldn't hold water.
No insurance (or charter) company is going to take the time and effort to check this out UNTIL you make a major claim. If you make a claim and the adjuster gets suspicious, you could easily find yourself without insurance. And if someone is coming after you for damages, the fact that you lied to the insurance company make everything you say suspect. What's your risk tolerance and how much can you afford to lose?
PAULCR1 likes this.
Old 10-05-2012
Grumpy Cat

Geoff54,
I agree with you. If, heaven forbid, something were to happen I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life regretting it and having to dodge bill collectors. If I have to delay my plans so be it rather than create a legal hassle.
Old 10-06-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Most marine insurance for coverage outside the US is sold through brokers. What you need to do is find a couple of brokers and discuss it with them. They have access to a number of different insurance companies, each of whom have their own rules. Also, coverage is not like car insurance. For example, my boat was insured for US and Bahamas, then the western Caribbean, now for the North Atlantic north of 10 degrees and the Med. Each time I move the coverage is re-written and the premiums change. This is also true if I stop for a while. Usually if you are going to be in a single place for at least 3 months they will modify the coverage for that place.

I am honoring this boards rules by not giving you names of brokers. The reason I sent you to the Seven Seas Cruising Association forum is that the issues of international coverage are well documented and a number of brokers read the forums on a regular basis. So if you go there you can get the real answers from the people who sell the coverage for a living.
PAULCR1 likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 10-06-2012
Grumpy Cat

svzephyr44,
Thank you for the insight. We didn't know there was so much involved we 'assumed' it was going to be like a car. You folks have been a wealth of information and assistance. I hope we can reciprocate someday.
Old 10-08-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"We didn't know there was so much involved we 'assumed' it was going to be like a car. "
It IS like a car. No safety classes? Surcharged. Going to Canada or Mexico? Surcharged. Driving too many miles? Surcharged. Commercial use? Surcharged. Bad credit rating? Surcharged. Gross weight over 20,000 lbs? Ooops, commercial license, surcharged again.

Cars, boats, doesn't matter, the insurers have surcharges for everything. Pick a slow time of a slow day, like midweek late morning or midafternoon, and pick a broker's brains. Then do it again the next week, with someone else. One of them might even earn your business.
Old 10-17-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road

I am a new-ish (born again) sailor, recently got a Columbia 9.6 (31'6"). I have some ASA credentials, bareboat charter and navigation, although my insurance company didn't even ask me to validate any of those claims (which of course I can) Sateside insurance through Progrressive, is costing me $128 a month, and that gives me up to 200k liability. Which at this day and age is not that much. Most marinas want 300k and up in liability. And I opted for the 1k deductible. This deductible by the way is DOUBLED in the event of ANY "named" storm. I think this has become a pretty standard practice.
This policy and comparable price, is only valid within 100 nm of USA. As far as I know they do not do international.
It stands to reason, that provable experience can help grease the insurance wheels. If you have enough time before your planned retirement, maybe begin documenting every legal "day" at sea, and work toward your OUPV "6-pak" license. This is the track I am currently on, and although I don't know for sure if the "OUPV" license will aid in future international insurability..... I can't think of any way it could hurt to get it. And since I will be sailing anyway.....the extra effort/paperwork seems minimal too me....

Good luck.... Let me know if you find any good international insurance deals for beginners. I have a few mexican riviera trips tentavely planned over the next few years.

---Tapske

NIF
Old 10-20-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULCR1 View Post
Many thanks for the information. Maybe that dream is squashed.
dreams are never squashed

sometimes they just simmer quietly

for years

best of luck
-JD
Old 10-20-2012
Grumpy Cat

Thanks JD. We are going to keep looking.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.