SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Insurance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/92672-insurance.html)

PAULCR1 10-02-2012 06:39 PM

Insurance

We have wanted to purchase a sailboat, about a 34', and spend some of our retirement years sailing the Caribean. We have no experiece although I have taken some ASA classes. We were told that the insurance rate on a boat is dependent on your sailing experience. Is this the case? If so, can anyone give us a ballpark figure on what insurance rates would be.
Thanks in advance for any input.

saillife 10-02-2012 07:09 PM

Re: Insurance

Short answer - Yes.
You're just going to have to call. Age of boat, size, value will all affect it. I spoke to my broker just the other day about this and was told they won't cover me unless I already have sailed in the Caribbean (I have). Waiting to hear back on how much they will want. A friend of mine bought a boat in Trinidad. He could only get insurance from Loyds. I don't know how much it was but, it was not cheap.
Good luck

PAULCR1 10-02-2012 07:13 PM

Many thanks for the information. Maybe that dream is squashed.

snaxbox 10-04-2012 11:57 PM

Sorry for that plan being squashed...for now. You can still sail in the nearby places right while building your experience and get ready for that Caribbean dream? Don't lose faith and keep finding other ways to find a better insurance coverage depending on your budget. Best of luck.

Minnewaska 10-05-2012 06:03 AM

Take as many official sailing courses and safety courses as you can. Insurance companies like that. A later model 34ft sloop should be among the easier to insure and not out of reach for a newer sailor. A very old boat, particularly a fixer upper, is very difficult.

Location also impacts the insurability. Higher crime areas are naturally going to be harder to insure. More common is high rates if you remain in the Caribbean during hurricane season, where rates can sky rocket, if attainable at all. Some insurance companies want proof that you have access to being hauled in the event of a named storm. You probably want to know too.

svzephyr44 10-05-2012 10:40 AM

ask the same question at Welcome to the Seven Seas Cruising Association

Barquito 10-05-2012 12:12 PM

What about going with a boat that is not as expensive (a little smaller, and a little older), and self-insuring? By self-insuring I mean saving enough money that if the ship is lost, you will not be ruined. AND by building knowledge and skills that will reduce the likelyhood of loosing the ship.

Minnewaska 10-05-2012 12:16 PM

You still need liability insurance, including environmental hazard.

PAULCR1 10-05-2012 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the input. We are going to the Galveston Boat Show next weekend just to see what's available and will 'pick the brains' of those there also. Again thanx.

PAULCR1 10-05-2012 02:47 PM

Seems like the boat insurance business is like the rest of business industries. You can't get a job unless you have experience. Understandable but frustrating.