Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012

HighFly27 is on a distinguished road
Looking to Purchase Cheoy 38 Offshore & Looking 4 Advice

I have been looking at a -- Cheoy lee 38 Offshore, 1982 Model

It's a project boat but not a loser (my view).

Buy for $ 5,500.00
trucking cost $ 2,500.00 to my property

So, $ 8,000.00 in boat. I understand the final cost -- will be another $ 35 K to be ready for blue water, or more $$..

I'm retired now and have been planning for a Caribbean trip from Panama City, FL and a little further as time goes on. I have a Catalina 25 and it has served me well over the years but not the right boat for long trips & open ocean cruises..

I have read up on the -- Cheoy 38 Offshore and has a good rating. This boat was a one owner boat and it has been around the world a couple times (so I was told).. I'm wondering how this boat would weather a storm ? I realize that it's your job to steer clear of storms but things happen; also the value of seamanship is a big factor as well.

I'm really asking other Cheoy owners or folks that know this boat -- what they think of this boat... be it .... Good or Bad or Middle of the Road.

Thank You,

Avery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to Purchase Cheoy 38 Offshore & Looking 4 Advice

Choey Lee Owners Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-06-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

If it has teak decks it is not something I would buy.

They leak, cost a fortune to replace and make the boat significantly hotter in sunny weather.

If it has wooden cabin sides these are prone to rot where they join the deck and even the timber for the job will give you sticker shock.
Old 10-06-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

TQA is correct - if it has teak decks...walk

they were good boats, considering their age when compared to similar age boats....however they were made in the far east and like Marine Traders (trawler/power boat) build quality was all over the place.

I have seen flawless ones and some that required every piece of metal installed to be reinstalled in the first year of owner ship, when new in the late 70's and early 80's. Wood work was most of the time quite good, but mechanicals not so much.

They are narrow in comparison to boats of today, and sail slower and react slower as well.

This one may make a decent project, if you have deep pockets, but you could spend twice your acquisition costs just taking up the teak decks, if it has them, and redoing the glass work.....UNLESS you do all the work yourself. Removing teak is not for the weak kneed or soft hands crowd, and the redo of the deck, glass work and fairing is almost as bad.

Side wood can be resealed or epoxied, unless your wood is totally gone.

btw, I owned a clipper 33 and was part owner on a 38 and then a 41 offshore..
Old 10-06-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Yes,

I have been reading quite a lot since I posted this thread. This boat had a lot of good things going for it (money spent) like the >> the haul was completely done, new mast, etc. . I have read alot & quite enough about the up & down workmanship to scare me off the deal. This top seal job is as a major job. Also, I will Not be completely happy with the boat when it's redone (slow & other items).

Now, I'm looking for a better deal and it will come along. I live in Bonifay, FL and withing 100 miles of Pensacola and other prime areas for used sailboats.

Thanks Again,

Avery
You are a lucky man! I love seeing these boats on the water and in port, but I don't think I could ever own one. I must admit I stay off any of them that are for sale just so I do not do the fatal thing that would be to fall in love with one!
Old 10-08-2012

dstrattn is on a distinguished road

If you are talking about a Cheoy Lee 38 Offshore, I would check out the Cheoy Lee association website as suggested for information that is reliable. I have owned a 1980 Cheoy Lee offshore 38 for 5 years and have had no problems with mine. These are very well built boats and many have made the journey around the world. Good examples that are ready for sailing are generally selling for 45-55K

They were not built in the far East to my knowledge rather they were built in the then British Hong Kong Cheoy Lee Shipyards. They claimed to be built to the Loyds standard.

There is lot's of Teak both on deck and below. Like most boats with Teak decks properly maintained will not leak. The teak Decks can be removed and I have seen a few that this has been done to -certainly an option if the decks are to far gone to repair.
Old 10-08-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrattn View Post
If you are talking about a Cheoy Lee 38 Offshore, I would check out the Cheoy Lee association website as suggested for information that is reliable. I have owned a 1980 Cheoy Lee offshore 38 for 5 years and have had no problems with mine. These are very well built boats and many have made the journey around the world. Good examples that are ready for sailing are generally selling for 45-55K

They were not built in the far East to my knowledge rather they were built in the then British Hong Kong Cheoy Lee Shipyards. They claimed to be built to the Loyds standard.

There is lot's of Teak both on deck and below. Like most boats with Teak decks properly maintained will not leak. The teak Decks can be removed and I have seen a few that this has been done to -certainly an option if the decks are to far gone to repair.
There is a reason why they get called LEAKY TEAKIES you have accepted that they have lots of teak now accept that they also leak.

The leaks can be fixed but the ingress of water especially into the plywood cored decks usally means you have a rot problem to deal with as well.

Removing teak decks and the top skin and the rotten ply then cutting new ply to size and reskinning the deck is a monster job. Get the likes of Charlie Cobra to do it and I would guess at 20k + DIY 18 months hard part time graft and 18 months lost sailing.

There are LOTS of boats that can be sailed right away. Life is short go sailing!
Old 10-09-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

Avery there is a cautionary saying about building your own boat. It is not kind.

"Fools build boats for wise men to sail"

Expect your FIRST boat build to take much longer than you think.

Here is a good example and also an excellent record of a build of a 44 ft Roberts in steel. CLICKY

It is also worth noting that they had a scare on their first offshore sail and seem to have given up on the idea.

As a full time liveaboard myself I would make a lightweight 44 footer about the max you would want and something around 38 to 40 ft ideal. If you want a steel boat then look at the French sites as they build a variety of steel boats, not pretty but good cruising boats. I would buy and not build at your age. There are too many sad stories of people not getting to enjoy the fruits of their labours.
Old 02-07-2013

Paul Ames is on a distinguished road

Hi Google Cheoy Offshore 38 , "Quest". It is in serious need of TLC. You will have to replace the spars to begin with. Look it up.I owned a CL 38 for 15 years. I cried the day I sold it. It was a gem and I singlehanded it with ease. I hated the isusu motor but it was indistructable. The electrical panel needs to be upgraded and the battery box expanded. I doubled the insulation in the ice box and added a refrideration unit. I have sailed it in 50 knot winds with comfort and confidence with a storm jib up running down wind. I have sailed it in a whisper with a genicer and autopilot and read a good book for the day. If you get one you would be fool to let loose of it. Ray Richards did a superb job on the hull lines and the boat sits the water like it was born there. Do not put a wood stick on it. It will be much stiffer on a beat with an aluminum stick. I miss mine now after selling it 20 years ago.

Paul Ames
Old 02-07-2013

Paul Ames is on a distinguished road

Hi Again
Some added information. I last saw my boat in Seattle at Elliot Bay marina. The boat was originally named ECHO which was on its main sail. I do not know where you are but if you could find and get ECHO you would be a happy happy sailor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.