Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Another hat trick-

Also found a great chart magnifying glassw/ a light. A good pair of rubber boots, an extra air pumb for the deflatable dinghy, An last but not least a COAT yes and a fowl weather coat at that ! $25 had a bad zipper which I'll replace today when I get out the sewing machine.
assuming it was intentional, but a dingy that is constantly leaking, and you call it a deflatable, made me spill my coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
The people at Bacon are great, even gave us a ride back to the dinghy dock after closing so we didn't have to walk, nice people and they love working there.
Beautiful day today ,sunny a bit cool.
Well of course they love working there, they get to play with boat parts everyday in the words of the immortal Dire Straights...

Quote:
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Your report about Bacon's in Annapolis fits nicely with what many others have told me about that place. I'm going to have to find some time to stop in there the next time I'm in the area. Sounds like a skin flints paradise.

I can't believe that you got a mainsail for that cheap! I hope it has a reef point or two?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Joe,

sunshine is a tonic, it raised your spirits. You must be going the right way. Nice score on the sail and gear.

Sal

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 11-06-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

up late- or realy early, depends how you look at it.
Fell asleep listening to the election on the radio.
woke up and the fire in the wood stove was down to embers. Stoked it up good, gotta' keep my peep's warm and healthy.
The dinghy repair worked like a charm,good ol' 3m 5200 luv that stuff. Oh, and to be clear I have 2 dinghies one is a hard dinghy 8' (the former lleaker) and the other is the Deflatable, it's like new (or was when I packed it b-4 we left NY) I haven't even inflated the Deflatable yet, been using the leaker. I'm planning on registering the Deflatable in Fl. so I can legaly run the 3.5 johnson on it when in the warm water. that's why I'm using the oars for now. Don't want to make any donations to the justice system along the way, so I row for now and leave the motor on the rail.
The -new to me- mainsail hoisted great after I installed 15-20 cringles and the sliders. Unfortunately it has no reef points,yet.
If I get back to Bacon's in the next day or so, I'll get what I need to add one or two reef points. I need a couple battens as well.
My Coat fits great and will keep me warm and dry, adding to the comfort level muchly,and reducing fatigue and stress, making it alll good.
Today the first best mate baked chocolate cookies w/ assistence from our cabin girl "Marina" and I busied myself doing maint/cleanup on deck.
Then, I couldn't help but take the now non-leaking dinghy for a run. What a joy it is to row and not have to bail between strokes w/ wet cold feet.The crew is very pleased w/ the possibilities.
On my dinghy joyride I visited/pestered the neighbors on their cool panda 40 near me , they are getting ready to split fri as well (after the storm passes) they said they have a car and asked if I needed to go to the grocery.
Of course I'm always up for a grocery run, as it is one of the few times I'm almost not sad about opening the vault.
I really dig food, itls so comforting.
So, we'll all be shopping a bit later.
Also, while on my row I went ashore to stretch my legs and found a place that sells firewood. I think I startled the lady in the house when I knocked as it was dusk,and folks here in Annapolis seem a bit leary of me when I don't have the crew w/me to "soften the appearance" as #1 put's it.
After I assured the lady I was only there to inquire about the firewood for sale, she gave me the phone number to call in the morning to set up a firewood pick-up (guess I shoulda' combed my hair/beard b-4 knockin'). Nothing like good aged dried split hardwood to burn.beats the driftwood/fallen stuff.
So, If I don't have to get a snow shovel to clear the deck we should be off on our way again friday.

Stay warm- thanks for listenin'
Old 11-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've never heard of a State where a transient couldn't use the motor of their dinghy. While they're all different, all that I know require you to be there for several weeks up to months before you register. Even then, if you move among the state, I've never heard of anyone being caught. What the difference between your dinghy/motor and the sailboat/motor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-07-2012
cruising all I can

the dinghy isn't registered, so I don't think I can legaly use a motor on an unregistered vessel. The sailboat (the main craft) Is registered , and therefore is not an issue. I'm not sure but my understanding is you are required to have any vessel w/ an engine/motor registered . you cannot simply throw a motor on anything because it's your dinghy.
If I'm wrong then I'm rowing for nothing. If I'm correct I'm avoiding a ticket/fine.
In the last 3-4 days we've been here in Annapolis I/we have been approached 2-3 times already by various law nforcement inquiring as to our "plans" and asking for our boat name,cell phone # and being "advised" of the 75' stand-off law when anchoring. (already knew about it, thanks to sailnetters)
So, when in doubt of local laws I prefer to tread on the safe side. I don't like making donations of hard currency to local enforcement agencies.
maybe I'm just overly causious/paranoid.
Old 11-07-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Tolerance to cold is directly related to where you live.
It seems folks south of the mason dixon line do not tolerate the cold very well.

Up in NH we don't roll up the car windows until it's at least 20, then we only roll em half way up.

I close the door to the freezer whenever I see 20 degrees.......
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 11-07-2012
cruising all I can

This town ,Annapolis , is a pretty "haughty" high brow place. And we are obviously not.
As such I make an extra effort , when transitting such areas, to be extra careful to abide by all local customs and laws, to always remember to wear a smile when interfacing w/ authorities and be extra courtious when in public, to avoid unpleasant attention I seem to attract from those entrusted w/ serving and protecting us.
I would actually prefer to completely avoid locations like this (annapolis) as I find them expensive and restrictive.
On the same hand , it is a beautiful place w/ very historic charm and the few working people I have come into contact w/ in the city marina fuel dock, Bacon's, and the CVS have been quite nice after the initial verneer is scraped away and they relax a little.
but I get a feeling they are all scared for there little jobs and quick to judge by appearance.
Also, If I was traveling w/out my wife and child I'm certain I would get a much closer inspection from the local authorities than I've already experienced.
twice, since we've been here we have been approached and asked if we were homeless and yesterday while walking we stopped to ask directions, we were directed to a salvation army shelter ! we were asking were goodwill was, because it was near Bacon's
It was kinda funny,though.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 11-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You are probably right that the tender should be registered somewhere to be legal. I'm not totally certain of it though. I wonder if there are states where there is no registration for the tender.

I've heard many proclaim that putting T/T followed by your boat name on the tender (meaning tender to .........) will skirt the registration problem, assuming your boat is registered. I've never read where that is officially correct, however, I have seen it many many times.

You're probably better safe than sorry, although, that cardiac event you refer to doesn't sound too safe either ! As you proclaim that you draw attention to yourself, you might consider adjusting that as a safety measure against getting fines you are unaware of. In today's society, when traveling from state to state, it is entirely impossible to be aware of all the rules and regulations. Just like world cruisers, who have to deal with that many times over, the trick is always to avoid attracting attention.

Ironically, I'm not convinced that rowing your tender changes the registration requirement in some states.

All the best on your journey, I enjoy reading it while stuck on the hard these days.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-07-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I often have my wife just drop me off at Bacons when we are in the Annapolis area. I have gotten so much good stuff there and the room in back....like a flea market for sailing stuff

Sorry you are being hassled by the authorities. They have nothing to do now that most of the boaters have packed it in.

Solomons is a really nice place to visit. It will be a long day from Annapolis. As stated after Herrington Bay...no where to pull off.

Winds After the storm should favor you for 3 days. Slight warm up through Sunday with cold nights. You should be able to make it past the Potomac by then. Crossing the Potomac is long...really long...hours....conditions there can get really rough asometimes when wind opposes tide. You get short chop...square waves that will kill your boat speed,

OK off to work. I work in the US Capitol Building so today is usually interesting after an election.
When I left work Friday all the HOouse of Representatives memebrs and their staffs had moved all their office furniture into the hallways of the three office buildings./

Stay safe and warm ( glad you got a coat)

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner