Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Not being "hassled" just observed , I guess.
And I can't really say I don't understand why. Considering the issues that surround cruising and the real or percieved problems with derelict vessels, Squaters" Waste discharge etc. I can appreciate the added enforcement.
If my hometown was a famous sailing destiny I would want to assure that it didn't get trashed and abused as well !
I just want to hang a sign on the side of the boat sometimes that says something like
- AHOY, to all concerned, although my boat may not be completely bristol in appearance and there may be a slight accumulation on deck and one or more of the occupants may appear a bit disheveled, rest assured we are only passing through your home, temporarily seeking a safe anchorage then moving along. While we are here we will be happy to comply w/ your laws and customs. we wish only to visit,take a few pictures, spend a few dollars for provisions or to enjoy a local interest and then depart in good grace. we will not dump our waste or trash in an unacceptable or illegal manner nor will we tresspass or become an issue or eyesore. -
Of course I probably would need a bigger boat to get all that on it !
Any , it's all good. we're good .be good gotta stoke the woodstoveand make some tea.
hey maybe I could have cards made up and then just hand them to the officers when the approach, eliminating alot of discussion. course' then we'd never get to actualy talk to any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Probably legal, but safer the way Joe's doing it: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating

How do I know if my vessel must be registered in Maryland?

Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it is:
Equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion; and
Used in Maryland most in a calendar year.
Note: US Coast Guard documented vessels using Maryland waters are NOT exempt from the vessel excise tax. When used principally in Maryland, documented vessels must display a documented use decal.

If your vessel was purchased in Maryland and will use Maryland waters a majority of the calendar year, you are liable for vessel excise tax and must register the vessel within 30 days of purchase to avoid assessment of penalty and interest.

If your vessel was purchased elsewhere or previously registered in another jurisdiction, is now in Maryland waters, and will use Maryland waters more than any other single jurisdiction during the calendar year, you are liable for vessel excise tax and must register the vessel within 30 days of entering Maryland waters.

If your vessel is duly registered in another jurisdiction but remains in Maryland waters more than 90 days in a calendar year, you may be liable for vessel excise tax unless you can prove principal use in another jurisdiction.

The harbormaster does check all the anchored boats, as I understand part of a homeland security requirement (proximity to the Naval Academy???? I never said it made sense). As for them requesting your cellphone, the good news is that if you're dragging, or someone's dragging into you, it makes it easy for harbormaster to contact you, we've had to have him do this for a boat dragging here in Back Creek during a storm.

It would be funny if you could post that sign, Joe. Sometimes we love this place, sometimes - especially around the Annapolis Yacht Club and a certain other marina that caters to very large vessels - we're repulsed by the snootiness.
chef2sail and Sal Paradise like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-07-2012
cruising all I can

WngNwing- yea I figured it was pretty good Idea to give the cell# to the harbormaster for that very reason. And even jokingly commented that I appreciated him keeping an eye on it for me and felt more comfortable knowing that at least when ashore if the phone din't ring I could get some level of comfort thinking it was still near where I left it at anchor.
The last fella' that stopped seemed a bit preoccupied, maybe he had other duties to attend to. Or maybe he got the "word" that the homeless looking dude on the Fla. registered boat would talk your ear off to no end ! hard to say. either way it works for me.
I think it's actually quite cool that they are here , I just wish the pump-out boat was working. We've already had to pull up anchor once to go to the city marina just past the Spa creek draw bridge to get pumped, while there I bought a can of diesel and took on water as well . Kind of feel bad for the bridge guy going back and forth, he probably thinks were goofy !
One thing this topic brings to mind is, I don't see alot of other vessels lining up to get pumped out that obviously have folks aboard, they must have stronger constitutions than this crew or perhaps composting heads ? Yea, that's probably it.
Anyhow , off to buy some firewood and grocery shop.
Old 11-07-2012

Joe, we've had a crazy-busy week but I'd hate it if you spent all this time in our city and we never even met for a beer or a cup of coffee. Weather tonight looks awful but how are you set for tomorrow afternoon or evening?

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 11-07-2012

Cbarg is on a distinguished road

Joe, we've been following your thread since you left N.Y. and really enjoy it. We met you 3 or 4 years ago when we anchored near the seabreeze bridge and you rowed out with your daughter to say hi. We have a 41' morgan oi and are currently on the hard in N.C. and plan on launching the week after turkey day to head south. We would enjoy meeting up with you this winter to swap stories, if the opportunity arises. Fair winds and stay warm, chris and dave
Old 11-07-2012
cruising all I can

WingNwing- The crew says that they would like to meet up for a cup of coffee tommorrow afternoon , weather permitting of course. So if you would PM me a phone # I'll call you back and we'll get together.

Cbarg- I'm glad your enjoying reading of our trip and adventures ashore. Did you have the 41 morgan when we met in Daytona? if so I think I remember that vessel Although honestly I spent alot of time in the Daytona area and always liked to pester the passing boaters.
I was considering printing up a local information guide for passing sailors who may not be familiar w/ the area with a map of things sailors look for when in a new place, I know I would appreciate such a thing when we stop somewhere.
Daytona actually has quite a bit to offer the passing sailor. Inexpensive decent public transportation, easy water access, launches right downtown,beachside entertainment,restaurants on beach street,a nice municipal Marina as well as a couple others, a west marine right on the water. And my favorite- decent anchorages that are well protected right on the Halifax river. For the life of me I don't understand why the city doesn't promote those attributes more ?
Anyhow today was a good day,got a couple bags of hardwood for the woodstove, went to the giant grocery w/ Our anchorage neighbors and dinghied about in our now non-leaking dinghy (the crew liked that) grilled burgers and chicken when we got back to the boat, even got to wear my fancy new coat ! We were impressed when it got dark and found out the "hood" on the coat glows in the dark ! pretty neat.
I feel like the gorton fisherman!
Old 11-08-2012

Joe, PM sent. Looking forward to it. Mid-afternoon, maybe? Or late afternoon? Either works for us.

and
! And a new project:
Old 11-10-2012
cruising all I can

Welcome to Solomon's Island-
But first , What a great thing to get together w/ another Sailnetter ! We had the pleasure of a cup o java with WingNwing and Mr. WingNwing in Annapolis, And I Have to say they are even nicer and more interesting in person than online ! Next time I'll try to breath between sentences, promise !
We Departed Annapolis At 8am and Sailed all the way to drum point without ever running the engine seeing speeds from 7.5 mph to as slow as 1.8mph it was absolutely beautiful.
I started w/ the new main and a jib ,then added a staysail . when the wind lightened about Cesapeake beach I swithed out to a Real light large Spinaker I traded for, a few years back, from a sailor who wanted a sun cover for a roller headsail, a good trade. And only about the second time I got to use it. It worked great and was fun to ghost along. the sea state was pretty flat. a Great ride.
Along the way I remembered that in my last trip to Bacon's I got overwhelmed and forgot to get batten's for the main. So when I hoisted it the trailing edge was all curled and had a resulting poor shape.
Not to worry though , I had some Ceadar Strips onboard and when I raised the Spinaker it was calm and warm and sunny enough for me to go forward on the deck and set up a saw horse/bucket and get out the battery operated skill saw and tools to make 4 battens from ceadar. they work and look good and now the sail shape is as close to perfect as I could imagine. I'm realy stylin' !

At Solomons we anchored up the creek near the hotels,our usual spot. Now the watermen are heading out to work, and rockin' the boat. Soon the crew will awake and it'll be another great day, for sure.
Old 11-10-2012
cruising all I can

Oh, almost forgot to mention, After spending time ashore from about noon to about 7pm we returned to the boat anchored in Spa Creek to find it had drug at anchor about 50' down streem from where we had left it ! That was with a 45# claw on all chain and another 40# danforth on 40' of chain and additional rope . Fortunately no issues as I make it a point to leave ample distance from other vessls and shores. But none the less an unsettling occurance.
We can only deduce that due to the constant anchoring in that area and the mudd mucky bottom condition the winds slowly dragged her down river during the time we were absent . As opposed to breaking adrift, which didn't happen.
It;s odd and revaealing as we had been anchored there for a couple days and never moved.
Just a wake up call from the anchor gods. Don't leave the boat unattended,ever. if your concerned about holding/dragging.
Old 11-10-2012

Yikes! Glad it all turned out okay. Indeed, we have heard from others and experienced ourselves, that the holding here is less than advertised. Like you, I attribute it to the fact that the bottom is so plowed up by frequent anchoring in the soft mud.

LOVED meeting you guys. Sent you a PM.

and
! And a new project:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.