Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Almost nice enough today to make you want to stay in the Chesapeake for the winter !
But I'm sure it won't last.
After anchoring last nite near the Marine Museum in Solomons Is. I slept Better than I have in some time.
Awaken by the weekend fishing boats leaving out to enjoy the wonderful weekend November weather.
After a bit of prodding convinced "Marina the cabin girl" to release the apron strings of Mama to come ashore w/ dad to gather wood for the stove and a dinghy ride. And give Mom a bit of well deserved solitude.
We dnghied into the Museum Dock to find a sign reading "Museum Patrons only" This was a bit discerning as in the past I remembered no such signage.
But I wasn't discouraged, as there was an older gentleman and a young man on the docks working on one of the several wood boats docked there.
So, we docked and approched them asking if we could possibly tie up for a while to gather wood for Our wood stove and pointed out our craft at anchor.
Well, not only were we welcome to dock, but they had an abundance of wood scraps just the right size for my little on board stove (the Mini Smith -named after my good friend Mr.Smith who helped construct it)
So , it was easy wood gathering and we're burning exotic woods to boot!
Then we hoisted anchor to find a Fuel dock to pump out and replenish the water supply after which we went even further up back creek to anchor near the Holiday inn dinghy dock to get ashore for Alcohol for the stove and easier dinghy dockage.
After re-setting the hook and having lunch ,while I make sure of a good set of the anchor, I dingied into Holiday inn to check out the situation.
There I met Tom the dockmaster who told me "don't worry about it" when I enquired about dingy dockage fees, and Another sailor named Dave who was a "seasoned" sailor living aboard a 22' tanzer, from first sighting I hit it off w/ Dave and we swapped sailor stories, he even has a cat aboard, as do we.
After that, I was prepared to do the bus thing to get to Lowes for the Alcohol and wallked towards the main road to find a bus.
Not 100' down the drive I see a small group of people leaving the dock w/ "sneads ace Hardware" shirts on and jokingly asked if they worked there. to my suprise they all said "yes, we are the franchise owners !" what luck, I explained that I was on my way to find Alcohol for my stove and that we were travelng south and they said they would give me a ride there and back ! what luck. they were super friendly and very interested in our little journey and we had a nice chat there and back , talk about lucky.
Now back on the boat looking forward to another good nights rest, tommorrow maybe wander onshore a little and see what's around while we wait for a northern wind.
Sal Paradise and deltaten like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

So Joe,
No wifi for a while, or are you just enjoying Solomons?

You are in good company down there. Lots of cruising folks heading south with you.
There is Roger Long in S/V Strider who is probably a little ways ahead of you: Roger Long - Cruising on Strider - SailboatOwners.com
Jon Eisberg on S/V Chancey was in Chesapeake, near Norfolk.
Lots of others too.
Check in when you can.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Anxious awaiting the next report.
Old 11-15-2012
cruising all I can

Saled to smith island sunday. Poor internet. So update coning soon.
much to tell. Incredible place fantastic people.
Many adventures,already!
We"ll stay here a while.
Stay tuned. You will not want to miss it.
Old 11-15-2012
cruising all I can

We have internet ! For the last couple days we've had no internet and very limited celular service. But Today we have both, go figure.
Sunday I checked the weather and Decided to motor sail to Smith Island,MD. I don't care for motoring at all, particularly in any body of water larger than a canal as the motion of the vessel when motoring is unpleasant, particularly when in any chop or waves.
We made this decision to motor sail due in large part to the fact that there didn't seem to be anything in particular in Solomons Is. that grabbed our attention.Essentially, there wasn't anything to do there.
We'd seen the calverton Museum and that seems to have been the highlight of the area. Apparently the oter 3-4 sailboats that came into the anchorage felt the same way as they all departed early sunday morning, even though the forcast was for an opposing wind.
We had an uneventful motorsail to Smith Island,MD. A place we have come to in years past. Upon arrival , due to the recent Storm Sandy, we were not certain what we would find and presumed we would anchor in one of the many cuts within the Island if dockage was not available or taken up.
We found that the docks and many of the crab shacks and homes had suffered varying degrees of damage.
So we pulled into the smith Island Marina and promptly knocked on the door of the bed and breakfast that ajoins it and were initially welcomed with warm greetings and open arms. As it was about sunset and we were weary from the trip we retired early and had a nice rest dockside.
The next morning we spoke w/ the proprietors "Pauli and Steven" and caught up on the happenings at the island and the extent of the damage they had, which was minimal, alot of scattered shingles and debris ; water intrusion was fortunately the extent of it, how fortunate.
She "Pauli" asked us if we were planning on staying for a while or moving on quickly, we said we had an open schedule and were in "No Hurry" to which she said maybe we could stay for a few weeks in exchange for helping w/ clean-up around the Marina and re-roofing the back roof which had been leaking for some time and was further damaged by the storm.
We said that could work for us ,as we enjoyed the Island and it would be nice to be able to spend some time here.
This day was Veterans day and everyone on the Island was even more laid back than usual, if that's possible, so we got blue crabs and enjoyed ourselves.
That evening we saw "Pauli" again and she seemed distressed , said it was due to the storm and dealing w/ Mema/Fema and they were going to claim damages and try to get a low interest lone due to the storm, and that paperwork was not her thing and it was troublesome. She seemed not herself , but we attributed it to the storm and stress.
We didn't give it a second thought and went on visiting aquaintences on the Island and sightseeing.
The next day , However, we checked in with "pauli" , as "Steve" was no where to be found. And she was acting quite odd, That's when she told us that we could no longer stay at the Marina as they were going to make a claim w/ Mema/Fema for total loss of bussiness (her words) and that if they came and saw anyone at the dock then they couldn't claim the extent of loss they wanted to. And that we weren't being thown out, we just had to leave (Huh?).
Wow, what a suprise. Oddly that day I had visited a former aquaintence and life long resident of the Island . When I told him where we were docked he commented that I needed to "get out of there" and we needed to find another dock.
I laughed and said no, we were fine what's the problem? that's when he told me that they have done this to sailors/boaters in the past. even taking there money , or having them perform maintenence or repairs at there facility promising to rent them dockage then throwing them out. I have to admit I thought it untrue. Until that night when "Pauli" did just that to us!
Then as I looked around for another dock and talked to other people on the Island they all were well aware of the practice and even introduced us to others that had been "evicted" after paying for dockage or performing repair services in exchange for dockage. She even posted on her facebook sight that we told her we wouldn't pay for dockage, a blatent lie. As I would never refuse to pay for services recieved in cash or kind. Although always willing to barter I also am prepared and capable of paying CASH.
It's not like we're Homeless, we're just cruising.
A wild and strange turn of events. The good part is we easily found dockage thanks in large part to the assistence and caring of the community and the local Pastor (thanks Paster Rick) and are happily docked and enjoying the Island.
I even have met many new friends here and we still think it is a great place to visit.
onward and upward.
Old 11-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Well its good to hear there are crazies everywhere and not just here. Sorry to hear of the inconvenience. Chalk it up to a great story though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-15-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

As G. K. Chesterton wrote, "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered."
CalebD, wingNwing and joebeach like this.
Old 11-15-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
It's not like we're Homeless, we're just cruising.
Nailed it.
With your permission, joe, i would like to steal this line.

Old 11-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Not homeless, just houseless.

We spent a wonderful afternoon with Joe and family while they were in Annapolis, sharing cruising stories over a cup of coffee near City Dock. Looks like Joe has wasted no time in adding yet more stories to his collection!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-15-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Sounds like Pauli needs round the clock medication...

Good phrase, I'm not homeless, I'm cruising. Put it on a t-shirt & the money will flow in your direction.