Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

I do have many photos i hope to
Ashare when better internet is available.
For now it is the quiet island life for a while.
today I repaired awatermans crab shack and worked on a dock.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2013
cruising all I can

Happy new year from Smit Island ,MD.
Yea, we're still here, and it's by choice! Really , we're not run aground or stranded or broken down or anything we just like it here. Could be a bit warmer , but eh' it's winter time I wouldn't expect anything different.
For a small community I'm never without something to do. My days are long and I'm busy all the while either working for pay or helping someone for personal satisfaction.
I never really knew before how good it feels to do that. And it just keeps on.
For Christmas we sailed to Tylerton for the evening and checked it out. Had a great time visiting and meeting new folks.They have a very nice basin for the Watermen.
My day starts early here , I get up about 4-5 am stoke the wood stove , then head over to the Harborside grocery for coffee w/ the men, at 7:30 I return to the dock to see of one of the Packet boats on there daily run into Crisfield and see who is going "off Island" I rarely leave the Island. After that it's breakfast,wood cutting/gathering and off to work at whatever I've not finished the day before or some other task abaord the boat. I've been oing a bit of sewing lately,first for myself, and now for anyone else that wants/needs it done.
I've even been shucking oysters, by the bushel, we love eating oysters. This year is apparently a bumper crop and they are quite reasonably priced. We have also been enjoying Pecans,and other fruit and nut s that grow here.
The people are mostly pleasant and welcoming. Our Daughter is enjoying the company of the other children and even has attended the school on occasion. We try to attend and support all community functions and find them quite enjoyable.
But far too soon , I fear, we will have to return to life "ashore" on the mainland.
Sadly we have other previous obligations to attend to.
But we will enjoy the remaining time we have and look forward to returning again.
As for Key West, I guess it will have to wait. We are already in an Island Paradise in our opinion.
Old 01-04-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I'm pleased to hear you and yours are doing so well and enjoying the respite. I've been following your inspiring exploits with great interest. I hope to be doing the same in a year or so.
All the best to you, wherever you land!
Paul
Old 01-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've been in places that it sounds like you've found for yourself. I often spend the next several years wondering if that would be our retirement home or whether we should just move there now. The nice thing is I've collected a few of them over the years. The unfortunate thing is, I've not moved to any.

You mentioned that your daughter attended the school. Is she school age? Are you home schooling? Many do, but that has always sounded like a significant burden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-28-2013
cruising all I can

Cold winds and snow !
What else needs to be said. It's cold, it' damp. I'm glad I've got a chainsaw to cut wood for the stove.
We've bben here on Smith Is. now for .... a while , seems we're becoming part of the scenery. I've come to know and like the Island and the people , they are very welcoming.
Unfortunately , this too must pass, as we enter the new year and the reality sets in that soon we must return to NY and take up working again to prepare for the next cruising winter.
So, as we watch the weater windows and plan our next "hop"" I'm saddened that we will soon be moving on.
We'll let you know where we next make landfall and when.
Thanks to all who have been following our journey.
Stay tuned, it's only just begun.
Old 01-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Which direction from there? Further south or do you start heading back north?

Better than 2 months in the same place. You must have liked it. It's great to find places like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-29-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Mmmm, yeah. What Minne said.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 02-03-2013
cruising all I can

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit Deal Island. In the mornings here many/some watermen gather at the Harborside grocery betwen -6-7am It's the unofficial gathering of the Island leaders and bussinessmen assoc. as well as anyone esle who is brave or thick skinned enough to sit in.
I make it a point to "nary miss a day" lest I should become the days "meal" of conversation. It also has become a great place to be available for small repair jobs.
Yesterday I was finishing my coffee when a well respected waterman of considerable pedigree and experience was removing the old Detroit from his scrape boat to transport it in his "drudge" boat to Scott's marina in chance,MD. I siezed the chance to help w/ the crane work and ask to accompany him on the round trip journey. My purpose 3 fold, get to ride along to hear a "yarn" ,get to see the route from the water,and finally , get to get an up close look at the fabled "skipjacks" that berth there in Chance.
Everything fell into place and all objectives were met.
I'm fascinated w/ skipjacks and often verbalize it during morning coffee ,over the jeers and objections of those who have actually worked them and are quick to dispell the romance through the reality of their own personal experiences. Still, much to there chagrin, I profess that one time I must work on a skipjack for a cold winter season. If for no other reason than to say I did.
I saw the Caleb Jones, the ada may, the krents tied up along the wharf. and on the hard was another skipjack whoes name escapes me now with her bottom almost entirey removed from the waterline down being rebuilt. Before that day I didn't realize the size and massive construction of these vessels. I hope they live on for a long ,long time. And if I'm lucky,(or crazy,some would suggest) I'll get to serve aboard one,one day-soon, before I'm too old to be adventurous any longer.
For now we are still happily enjoying Smith Island. The thing about this place for us is the people who have welcomed us and the proximity to great sailing on the Chessy. An almost unlimited number of places to go . I knew we would probably not be bringing the boat back to NY as in the past years , but I never thought we would be spending the winter in the Chesapeake as we apparently have !
So, I'm looking for an inexpensive location to berth the boat in the next month so that we can use it as a base for further chesapeake sailing activities and easy access to places like smith Is. and Tangier, as well as numerous as yet undiscovered locations on the largest estuary on the east coast.
Feel free to make suggestions. We've got time,at least a bit more, before we must return to a different reality,for a while.
As always , we're in "No Hurry"

Aboard S/V No Hurry

I hope you are all enjoying this day God has granted us.
Old 02-03-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Hey Joe,

Great to hear from you.
While you are busy meeting people and helping out on the island see if you can find a private dock you can leave your boat at for when you will be away.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-03-2013

For all the modern transportation available, it seems most don't move very far from home. It's nice to see someone find a place they feel so connected to. Why not call it home?

Is your daughter in school there now?

Jeanneau 54DS