Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Joe,
Your last report was hilarious!
The woman who's back yard you came through has probably had strangers entering her property from there before.
Glad to hear that the LEO's still have respect for those that resemble Santa Clause.

I'd meet up with you too at some point if you like. Either up the Hudson near Haverstraw when you meet MiataPaul or down in NY Harbor.

Keep the home fires burning.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Long day today, or more acurately , Long night. I think I got about 2-3 hours contiguous, As I was stoking the woodstove to keep it warm for the crew and the Funny part is this morning they said it was so hot they had to kick the covers off ! (woops) Hey ,just didn't want anybody catching cold.
We cast off at the usual crack of 9am. (can't seem to get it going) with plenty of frost on the boat, frozen dock lines don't coil well. By 10 or 11 the sun was begininng to work it's magic and itwas a beautiful day to travel the last leg of the Mohawk river to welcoming Waterford.
We pulled up to the guard gate at the top of the "staircase" at lock 6 and after securing to the wall I promptly grabbed my trusty rechargable saw and helped eliminate all of last years storm driven driftwood from the surrounding area for fuel in the wood stove.
Even as we didn't arrive until after 5pm the lock tender was about and I introduced myself and told him what we were doing (scavenging wood) and he was cool w/ it.
So we're locked inside a fenced area again (for our own protection?) until the lock master returns in the morning.
I failed to mention that in Sylvan Beach,NY I spotted a fella on a 34' columbia (If memory serves) a flat decked boat. and introduced myself and crew. His name was "Skip" and he is from the haverstraw area of the hudson up for a joyride on the Erie canal. We traveled in tandem for a few days leaving him in Little Falls at the town operated Marina/seawall in the capable hands of "chris" the harbor master . Chris was a pleasure to meet and We all enjoyed $2 showers $5.00 pump outs and if you chose to stay $10 for dockage and for an additional $20 you could hook up to water and electric. We said our fairwells to skip and continued on.
Now we'll rest up this evening as it's quite warmer and I can be less diligent w/ the heat. It's time to switch gears and shuffle everything about to get ready to become a sailboat again.
I've gotta check all the lights and all the rigging and try to remember how it all goes together.
I am excited to get the mast up, but first a day or so prep in Waterford and a close eye on the weather. And it looks favorable the next couple days , forcast says sun and 60 degrees ,works for me.
So tonight I burned some burgers and dogs on the grill , ate too much , and am anticipating the sunrise.
Yeee-Ha can't wait to get down the way.
One other issue is I need to find some hudson river and NYC Harbor charts as I returned the ones I had borrowed 4 years ago to The Gordon Family (check out their blog and book google Amicus Sailing,cool family) whom we met in the dismal swamp a few years back. They are from MN and coincidentely heading south again as we are .
When We visited them in Baldwinsvile last week Mark (Gordon) asked if by chance I still had the charts and I said of course, and was able to return them to him for his own use again .
But it left me w/out so I guess I'll have to find some more - anyone have some they want to part with?? I suspect they can't be too hard to find.
We'll be at the wall tommorrow in Waterford, I understand it's the last sunday for the farmers market, I hope to stock up on some produce as well as everything else before setting off south.
Some have inquired as to out route. We hope to go into the chessey from the delaware
( I dreaad the Delaware) and south through the estuary stopping along the way. Definately Annapolis ( probably anchor up spa creek) I'm in the market for a Mainsail that actually fits the mast and boom (as apposed to the thing I currently have) and of course I'll have to swing by sailrite for a dream walk through and make a small offering.
So , don't alert the harbormaster ! last time we were their the harbormaster was real nice and loaded us up with good intel on the dingy landings and a heads up about the showers and the honey boat (pumpout) it was welcomed info.

Stay tuned , the fun and adventure hasn't even begun!!
Old 10-13-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I think maybe I caught a glimpse of you today as I drove up the Thruway at 80 mph about 9:30 am - might have been around near Canajoharie and fog was rising off the canal. I'm traveling to Toronto to visit family and going back tomorrow.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Joe,
Progress.
You may be able to download the booklet charts for NY Harbor: BookletChart
I have printed these out before although they are useless once they get wet and the ink runs. They also don't print very well on 8-1/2" x 11" paper.
Stay warm.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2012

Stella's crew is on a distinguished road

xpda. com/nauticalcharts/ might help
Old 10-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While I'm a believer in having printed charts aboard, a trip like this screams for electronic charts. Depending on what you are using to surf the web, there are many free or very low cost options.

I'm a big fan of Charts and Tides on the iPad/iPhone. $25 for the entire East Coast and you don't need a signal to use them. Tidal and current data as well. Even more useful would be the Active Captain database with all marina and anchorage data along with user reviews of each. Of course, you need the i-hardware for this one, but there are many options like it out there for all sorts of hardware.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-14-2012
cruising all I can

Score !

This morning after the initial downpour we made our way down the staircase of locks to Waterford,NY and are currently tied to the wall.
Upon arrival we found that it was the last sunday of the farmers market and availed ourselves of some fresh veggies . Also, the waterford Police Dept. and Fire Dept was having a cookout w/ hotdogs,popcorn,ice cream,soda , pumpkin csrving ,a clown doing face painting and a hay ride (the crew went twice !).
Docking is free for 48 hours and electricity is available for $10 and showers for $5 , you get a key to the shoers and can use at your liesure.
A great place and real nice people. It seems everytime we pass through here they have a festival of some sort. The first time it was a steamboat festival, the second a tugboat roundup and toady he pumpkinfest. what luck.
Also I got to talk to a few of the other boaters docked and met a couple from canada on their way to Alaska via Bermuda-puerto rico-panama canal route. aboard there 40' catamaran. They have already circumnavigated 20 years ago when their children were young on a 30' steel sailboat. Now there on there own and enjoying themselves.They had passed up in Sylvan but didn't stop.
While saying hello's I mentioned I was looking for a hudson river chart and they said they had an extra and gave it to me , What luck ! no I just need to find a NYC harbor chart and I'll be all set.
Wel the rain has stopped the sun is out (mostly) and it's time to take a bycycle ride to the autoparts store for some bulbs for the spreaders and steamer light.
Only 15 miles to castleton boat club to step the mast and we'll be good to go.

stay tuned it's gonna get interesting.
Old 10-14-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Ahhh, Waterford NY, we have fond memories of there. We were there in September of 2003 for 8 days while we waited out Hurricaine Isabel. The wall was packed with some boats rafted to others. We made some friends who have remained good friends to this day. It was there that we really started to learn what the cruising life is all about - community.
Our friends stepped their mast at Castleton Boat yard and said they would never do it again. They didn't like being the afternoon's entertainment and the crane slip is open to the Hudson so everytime a baot goes by it's rock and roll time. I would recommend Riverview Marina in Catskill NY. It's a little more expensive but they do it for you and treat you very well.
If you cannot get paper charts for NY harbour go to active captain.com and use the interactive guide book.
Old 10-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We used Hop-o-Nose marina to step the mast when we transmitted the canal.

https://activecaptain.com/quickLists...NY&i=515209152

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-15-2012
cruising all I can

Rainy day, Rode he bike 2 mies to get bulbs for the spreadersan a steamer light, then to the supermarket and back. My body didn't like that so much, I feel ike I got beat up by an angry mob.
So, I'm resting and self medicating.
Good news is I went through al my charts and it seems I have everything I need in print as well as on CD, so I'm good.
Tommorrow if the weather is good it's off to Castleton to step the mast.
Another sailor just came down the champlain and is behind me on yhe wall who will also need to step his mast . Hesaig he might go to castleton as well.
A for paying someone to step it- not happening. I've done it myself alone several times, takes me maybe an hour if I'm moving slow, and I'm too ah... frugile to pay anyone anyhow and of course nobody else can do anything right .. and ... and... you get the idea.
Tommorrow tommorrow -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.