Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Joe ,

Good luck I am following you closely. When you GET AROUND NYC I will be able to give you some recommendations first hand of the Jersey Coast, the Delaware, and of course the Chessy where we keep our boat.

May get a chance to rondevous with you once you make it here.

Stay safe

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

If you get a chance call Bacons in Annapolis for the main you are looking for or give me the dimensions. I can look for you.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-16-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Joe - Bacon's phone # 410-263-4880

Unfortunately, Sailrite is no more; they closed their Annapolis store last summer and now they're mail only except Indiana headquarters.

The harbormaster's pumpout boat was severely damaged last week and isn't in service for the rest of the year, several marinas in Back Creek offer pumpout for $5 but you have to tie up to their docks. Not sure what's available in Spa Creek.

A bunch of resources for the ICW part of your trip, websites, apps, guidebooks etc: Life Afloat Archives: Sources of Information for the ICW Trip We did a presentation on this for SSCA last month, the links to SSECN, ActiveCaptain and Waterway guide might be useful for you (and they're free)

It's getting chilly here at nights! Fair winds to ya...

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-17-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about Sailrite closing in Annapolis. The guy that managed it was a liveabord there (at least that's what he told me in 2007) .
The 16th (yesterday) , didn't go as previously intentioned as I awoke at 4am to the reallization that I had failed to complete a few items on my list that must be completed prior to stepping the mast. Namely, replacing my aged and yellowed anchor light and replacing the spreader boots. No sense in getting a new main if just to tear it up on the spreaders.
So, I got to familiarize myself w/ CDTA public transportation. Word to the wise, always stipulate whether you wish to purchase an all day or one way ticket when boarding. Or, you get to try a second time at full price (%@*)
Nothing I like better that paying twice!
On a good note I managed to get it all done and even treat myself to a new NYC Approach chart.

So, scene 2 take 2 , departure for Castleton today. Really , TODAY, I'm going, gotta get outta here, people are beginning to greet me by name in the morning!

Wish me luck
Old 10-17-2012
cruising all I can

We are a Sailboat again ! Yea !
What a wonderful feeling it is to have the mast vertical again as it should be , I feel like a proud Papa.
Took me a couple hours to get it stepped , I kept beginning to raise it and seeing things out of place or the shrouds in the wrong position or the forward stay "nuised" to the mast . But w/ a bit of patience it all got done. I even ran a bunch of extra haylards for multiple headsails and the spinnaker. Only thing I didn't do is put a flag pulley on the starboard spreader, oh well.
We're on a mooring ball on thr west side of the Hudson across the channel from the Castleton Boat club right now and it is Sweeeeet ! Calm and beautiful. I'm even getting wi-fi from the docks ! Not that it matters as I have a cell phone that I run Foxfi on to make it a hotspot . It's just cool.
$50.00 to use the crane to step the mast and $5.00 for the Mooring ball and access to the club with all amenities,bar ,bathroom etc. I love this place, I told about 20 sailors I saw about it and I saw a few of them here today stepping there masts. Why would anybody PAY more? you still gotta un-secure it and move all your "stuff " around,
and I drop my full enclosure to make it easy.
I wouldn't want to let anybody mess with all that And I doubt they would be as careful, probably just trample everything.
Also it gives me a chance to give it all one more look.
ok, tommorrows supposed to be another great day sunny and all .
looking forward to it.
Old 10-17-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Good luck getting your rig back up in the air. You'll need it for being able to shut off your engine now and then to catch some northerlies coming down the Hudson.

Enjoy the trip through the Hudson Highlands in a couple of days.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

As you travel down the Hudson, think about stopping in Cold Spring. I'm not sure about draft at the docks there. Years ago (pre 9/11), I know you used to be able to tie up at West Point. If you still can, its worth seeing. I have a feeling you can't now.

If any in your family are hikers, my favorite trail is about 2 miles outside of the village of Cold Spring. I lived nearby many years ago. It goes up the side of a ridge immediately next to the river and views of the Hudson River and surrounding Highlands are spectacular. Bring lunch and you'll find several places to stop along the way. It is a serious hike however.

Breakneck Ridge Loop | New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2012

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

West Point is DEFINITELY off limits since 9/11 ....
Old 10-18-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Bear Mountain has a dock you can tie up to, it says no over night but last I heard they left you alone as long as you were quiet. The zoo might be OK for kids, not exciting but I think they charge a voluntary $.50. It has mostly animals from the region including some bears and a bald eagle. The Inn is nice to walk around in. Be on the lookout for Bald Eagles there are roosting ones on both sides of the river(Dennings point and Iona Island). I don't care how many times I see them, they still fill me with awe every time I see them.

Cold Spring is nice, and has recently reopened it's public dock I believe, but I am not sure what they let you do there. Mostly antiques and higher end restaurants. Beacon (my current town) is also very nice and they have anchoring just north of the mooring field by the train station. You would be able to use the Beacon Sloop Club dingy dock if it is still up(if not just pull it up to the launching ramp they are pretty casual. The Beacon Sloop Club is fun if they happen to be having a meeting, it was started by Pete Seager and they do pot lucks and sing along after the meeting. Just up from the train station is the Dia a very nice contemporary art center, worth the visit. If you want to provision I can pick up up there and take to any of the local stores. We have a Key Foods within walking distance. There are better grocery stores and even the evil Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes a short drive away.

Across from Beacon is Newburgh, there are some nice, but expensive restaurants on the river and Washington's Revolutionary War Headquarters is just a few blocks away, but be careful of wandering too far as the neighborhood gets a bit rough. Though up Washington street their is a great Taco place that has great lengua (tongue) tacos. (1.25 each last time I was there) I dig me some good cheap grub!

Cornwall Yacht Club is a nice protected marina, but does not have much to offer.

Chelsea Yacht Club is a nice facility, but not much there, and stay away from Chelsea Landing Marina, the guy is crazy that owns it.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2012
cruising all I can

Thanks for all the great anchoring and docking information, it will really come in handy as we make our way south this year.
Yesterday, as you may know, was a pretty wet and foggy day on the upper hudson, that weather system over chicago is a strange one, I think it's messing w/ the east coast.
We managed to escape Castleton on the hudson (the friendliest boat club on the Hudson) . "Skip" aboard S/V Mivita even managed to catch up w/ us and was stepping his mast as we departed.
It was a bit of a slog in the fog and rain, burning dinasaur bones for the day, getting us to Catskill.
When our cabin girl "Marina" asked where we were headed for the evening and heard "Cats-kill" she wanted to know if they were going to try to kill our cat ! We assured her the cat was in no danger (from them,however, the cat dislikes me and if it gets sick on my bunk again . . well,patience and forgiveness).
So we motor into Catskill ,where we have been before , just inside the creek/river off the Hudson is a little Rest. that has a dock you can tie to for the night if you patronize the establishment, it's called "port of call" they got flooded out last year during the storms and have since demolished and rebuilt. New building,seawall,docks,even new parking lot. It's a nice friendly place w/ decent fare.
Going completely contrary to my frugal nature, I treated the crew to dinner ashore, It was seafood buffet night(no regular menu,bummer) So everyone ate too much and we retired to the boat to recuperate from overindulgence and were all down for the count before 8:30 (hence the reason I'm now wide awake at 3am).
As an aside, this year I vowed to the first mate to make a concerted effort to , when making landfall, try to look a bit less haggered (like a homeless person) so it was comb the mop,pants w/out tears and patches and my "cleanest dirty shirt" she was cautiously impressed.
On the way here the fog was so thick at times I could barey see the bow. At one point as we approached hook point , a 30-40' motor boat was barreling down on us from astern throwing a good 2-3' wake and I was afraid they would just blast right by like that.
So, as they approached I'm waving and gesturing for them to slow down and they did a bit.
Then they almost ran aground in the fog, after which I hear a barge and tug hailing southbound traffic of the approach. I responded to the barge w/ my location and vessel description and just as quickly, it came into view.
At this point the motor boat apparently decided that I knew where I was going better thet he and fell in behind me for the next few miles until we cleared the fog, then blasted by, not to be seen again.
Of course as soon as we docked in Catskill, the rain stopped,the sun came out and it was a beautiful evening,go figure !

Keepin' ya' posted, thanks for listening.
wingNwing likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.