Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Kingston is probably another day's work from where you are. If you head up the Rondout creek, there are a bunch of water front shops and restaurants. Its been so long since I've been there, I have no recollection of depths. I do recall there being town docks, again a long time ago.

You may know this. The word Kill is Dutch for body of water. They settled that region. You'll find several of them along the route: Catskill, Fishkill, Spakenkill, Peekskill, Greatkills. PETA once petitioned to have the town of Fishkill's name changed to Fishsave, suggesting the name promoted cruelty to animals. True story. They were laughed out of town.
srqsailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Kingston is a deep water. Tons of sailboats in and out all day , high tide or low. Good Anchorage to the south on the West Shore. Its 10' deep in there at low tide.

Saugerties is good as well.

I will be sailing our Little Catalina 22 out of Kingston Rondout the next couple days in between running family errands. Rondout has everything. There are a lot of transients stopping there. My Boat Yard ( Rondout Yacht Basin ) has laundry and bathrooms, showers, fuel, a small store.
They are crazy busy hauling boats now.

I repeat my offer for any help / free rides to the store anywhere between there and Bear mt Dock ( where I work) . Remember Mariners in Highland ( across from Poughkeepsie) has a dock to stay overnight if you eat there. They have no fuel but I could drive you up to get some. There is a West Marine Store not too far from the Bear Mt Dock if you need something from there.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-20-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Kingston is a deep water. Tons of sailboats in and out all day , high tide or low. Good Anchorage to the south on the West Shore. Its 10' deep in there at low tide.

Saugerties is good as well.

I will be sailing our Little Catalina 22 out of Kingston Rondout the next couple days in between running family errands. Rondout has everything. There are a lot of transients stopping there. My Boat Yard ( Rondout Yacht Basin ) has laundry and bathrooms, showers, fuel, a small store.
They are crazy busy hauling boats now.

I repeat my offer for any help / free rides to the store anywhere between there and Bear mt Dock ( where I work) . Remember Mariners in Highland ( across from Poughkeepsie) has a dock to stay overnight if you eat there. They have no fuel but I could drive you up to get some. There is a West Marine Store not too far from the Bear Mt Dock if you need something from there.
I used to work at Bear Mountain Inn back in 1991. Love that place.
Old 10-20-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road

Across from Haverstraw is Croton Yacht Club. They have a dock on the north side of the club house and have let overnighters stay. Met a nice gent on his way back to Toronto from The Bahamas there one morning. I also have an empty slip there. There is good anchorage on the north side of Croton Point Park. I'm 10 minutes from the club.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 10-20-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

We're in beacon now. gotta go dinners ready !
I'm exhausted, I'm setting the anchor watch alarm and hittin' the rack.
Tell ya' more tommorrow.
nite.

Last edited by joethecobbler; 10-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Beacon? Who said to go to Beacon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-21-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Beacons beckon.
Bene505 likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-21-2012
cruising all I can

Wow, What a day ,finally did some Sailing. And it felt great to heel and feel the wind pull on the rigging, awsome. Makes it all worth it.
We sailed all the way to the ol' gal w/ the torch - Lady liberty- and now we're anchored in one of my favorite jump off points for the jersey coast, in the little cut next to Liberty ,NJ. state park. Just west of the statue of liberty. It's totaly a protected anchorage good holding and ony about 10' deep.
so in the morning you don't have a cartiac arrest raining the anchor ! We even grilled chicken on the back deck it is such a nice evening for October.
And to top it off, an aquaintence we met a while back is anchored here as well. Always nice to see a familiar face when out of the home port.
So , it's check the weather and make a jump. Right now it looks like a good window for the next couple days, but I'll reavaluate again in the Morning.
Oh, the Beacon anchorage north of the mooring field worked out like a charm . Easy in and out and it was calm all night as a bonus. Slept well, and needed it.
Tonight is going to be another good restful night at anchor. You just can't beat being at anchor on a good night.
good night !
Old 10-22-2012

Great progress, particularly for a daylight passage. What's your target arrival in Key West?

It reminds me of the challenge of a long passage, where you just don't get to stop to smell all the roses along the way. Makes me wish I had the time to get to out there and just hop along with no plan. Especially, since we'll be on the hard in two weeks.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 10-22-2012
cruising all I can

The plans seem to rarely pan out, so we quit making specefic plans and just say we have this many days and this much money. When we've used up half of the money or the time it's time to turn around !
Trying to time coastal hops to a schedule in the past has resulted in some unpleasant and scary runs. Particularly along the jersey coast and the Delaware bay. Each of those have ,in the past, spanked me pretty good and showed me who's running things.
Not to mention the crew gets angry on rough hops, and you don't want to upset the cook and cohort.
As for key West, well, they don't call it Christmas (wisteria) island for nothin'
I've been fascinated with the fabled live-aboard community their since I heard about it about 8-10 years ago and have known a few sailors that have spent a year or two.
I've wanted to go and see for myself if the stories are true or just stories.
wife says I'll hate it and be bored in a week.
One way to find out.
Today, after breakfast, maybe a little skip down the jersey coast.

Last edited by joethecobbler; 10-22-2012 at 06:36 AM.