Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Good attitude on dealines!! So, how much time do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Great sailing Joe! I knew that wind out of the West was going to help you. The weather is good for the next few days so make a run for it! I wish I was doing the same, I may have to sail an Amtrak that way.

Key West is always too much for my wife. Too busy too crowded too stressful. She likes Islamorada better. I remember the boats in Isamorada decorated with Christmas lights and we stood on the beach and drank fruity rum drinks and danced to the band and yelled - Happy New Year as the fiireworks went off..Myself - I think Key West is wonderful and charming and if it is too crowded around Christmas time well that just shows you its the best place to be. You probably already know its shallow there and other here know far more about it than me, I did rent a sailboat in the Keys and from what I could tell winter is the flat season with less wind but its still pretty good. Fishing is very good. For local flavor check out the Conchscooter blog. http://conchscooter.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-22-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-22-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Wow that is some good progress! Hope you have a good trip.
Old 10-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

What a leg! Beacon to Lady Liberty!
You must have sailed right by us. We were out racing around 1pm just north of the Tappan Zee bridge. It was a pretty wicked W/NW wind yesterday with fluky gusts well into the 20's that convinced all of our beer can fleet to reef their main sails.

If you get tired of the Key West circus you might try the more laid back Marathon.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Caleb= I believe we did sail by. I stopped at Tarrytown Yacht club to purchase some diesel an top off the water. Ther were a couple dozen sailboats racing on the west side.

At tarrytown an old fellow was manning the fuel pumps and I greeted him w/ a smile and told him I'd like a few drops of diesel and a bit of water, there wasn't anyone else around for the pumps. I did mentioned that if any motor boats pulled up while I was filling I would help him land them and move to accomidate as I was not in a rush.
He said fine and turned on the diesel pump and it started leaking all over the floating dock and the pump handle and hose.
He then picked it up by the hose and was trying to hand it to me on the boat.
I said "man I can't drag that over my boat and the other things on the deck all dripping with diesel."
Then he pcked up the water hose and rinsed the floating dock off into the water ! That kind of suprised me becsuse the fire rescue and the police were tied up a dock away! I then got some rags from below and wiped off the diesel from the pump and filled the boat tank being careful not to spil any in the water, I use a large funnel,
After which I topped off the water and suddenly he got ansy and said I had to hurry up as other people needed to get to the dock. Kinda wierd.

Anyway w're in Cape May,NJ now. Left NYC about 10am and got here about 7pm the next day. A long overnighter. I usually don't due overnighters as the girls don't like them and get all angry and freeked out. So, when I go overnight , it's like singlehanding and it takes a toll on me.This time Kim manned the helm till about 11pm I tried to nap, then I ran all night.
I sailed all day and night until about 7am when the wind went from east to south, then motored into 1-3' w/ 5-10 on the nose the last 60 miles from Atlantic city to cape may.
Motoring sucks, especially into wind and waves-bash -bob -bash sucking diesel .
So, the crews all worn out and angry w/ me for not putting in behind sandy hook . But I passed the hook about 1pm ( Getting the usual 9-10am late start) The wind and forcast was with me and I wanted to get NJ over with.
In past years we stopped every night first night shark river,then Barnaget light, then Atantic city . Well that was fun the first couple times but I wasn't into it this time I just want to get to the Cesapeake and start doing my part to make crabs and oyster endangered species.
Also ,I didn't want to waste 2 hours a day of daylight getting in and out of NJ inlets.
I thought the overnight rocked ! It was awesome sailing at night,I hardly ever get to,and watching the sun come up while sailing down the coast and not stopping was great. Makes me wish I had a better performing set of sails and/or a better boat.
So here we are in Cape may litterally "up a creek" I found this spot a few years back so I wouldn't need to anchor in front of the Coasty station at the mouth of the inlet. Also there is a public ramp nearby to land a dingy. The thing with Cape may is , there's no place to get a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk within reasonable walking distance except a WaWA and they rob ya ! over $4 for a gallon of milk and I won't even talk about a loaf of bread, not even whole wheat ! just crapy white bread.
I'm gonna do a mapquest search for a grocery store tommorrow. I gotta check the tides and weather for the run up the Delaware. I won't go if it has an "N"in it. And low tide isn't until 10am ! then 11am thursday ! So I may have to go half way up and hide in Cohansey creek then finish the next day. THe Deleware gets really steep and short.
Also, I think the chesapeake is where te vacation/relaxation factor kicks in. Lots of great lttle towns next to great places to anchor, and bluecrab.. Yum
Old 10-23-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Nice. Throw us a couple pics some time Joe.
Old 10-23-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Joe,
Strange tales from Tarrytown Marina and leaky diesel fuel! I'm sure that some arm, leg or whatever appendage of the NYS DEP would be interested in your report.

I helped out on a sailboat on the leg from Cape May to NYC this past June. That is one loooong haul. I could not sleep being on an unfamiliar boat and wanting to see it all. I was exhausted when I was dropped of at 23rd St. in Manhattan. The other 2 guys went up to Nyack (another 5 hour stretch) by boat. I felt like a traitor but I'd done the NYC to Nyack leg before and pretty as some of it is I would not have lasted, no how, no way.
There really is nothing else like sailing at night on the ocean and watching the sun set and rise again.
I wish you good luck for your passage up the Delaware after your crew rests up and regains their composure.
It is still a looong way from the Chesapeake but there is a new tropical storm, soon to be hurricane Sandy heading north from Jamaica. Hopefully it won't affect the east coast much but I'd rather be in the Chessy then Delaware Bay when it got near.
You are just around the corner from crab and oyster country (really more crab than oyster these days) so keep on chugging if you have to.
Bene505 likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-24-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
The plans seem to rarely pan out, so we quit making specefic plans and just say we have this many days and this much money. When we've used up half of the money or the time it's time to turn around !
That is so cool. What a great way of looking at life aboard a cruising boat.

Continue the posts of your trip & keep an eye to the south. Sounds like it may get a little nasty out there.
Old 10-26-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Left Cape May,NJ this morning on the rising tide , Actually before the rising tide as I needed time to get down the canal and into the bay. So at 10 am we split for CHesapeake City .
Chesapeake City is a nice little town with plenty of friendly people (at least the last 3 stops) . We got here in the dark about 1030pm and anchored in the man made anchorage basin.
I finaly got the new BBB anchor chain wet and used the claw anchor and the simpson Lawrence Manual windlass a very nice gentleman gave me a couple years back. ( Thanks Hampton) It works like a dream ! now no cartio after breakfast every morning pulling up a 50lb claw and 100' of 5/16 chain ! whew ! won't miss that.
It was a long motor up the Delaware 11-12 hours . I tried every sail combo I had, even the Spinaker, but there just wasn't any wind. The good part was - nice flat ride.
3/4 of the way up a beautiful 45' 1989 Morgan passes me , And to my suprise starts hollerin' my name as the pass ! who is it but an old cruising aquaintence, what are the odds ?
Of course after seeing the morgan I'm even more bummed with my Buccaneer. With the tide pushing the bucc. and no wind to sail her she wallows all over the place and constantly tries to broach and learches to the side if you go forward, really making stearing a chore. Sails ok but doesn't like down wind, oh well.
With the potential storm approaching we'll probably make for cover soon.
In the mean time I got a few maintinence issues to do and of course the crew wants to check out the town and look in on a few local aquaintances they met in previous trips here.People here have always been so nice to ushere, they make us feel welcomed, we like that.
Old 10-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Joe,

Try and get into the mid Bay tomorrow, definately by Saturday and find a hurricane hole for a couple of days as the storm Sandy will be a doozy. Many are pulling their boats already.

Not sure how familiar you are with the Chessie so I will name a few places to go.

We are in Rock Creek on the Patapsco protected on 4 sides. I am at the Maryland Yacht Club Slip D-20

Rock Creek- Patapsco
Broad Creek- Magothy River
Severn River Creeks above Annapolis...Weems has free naval moorings, but they put their boats on them in storms
Aberdeen or Harness creek on the South River

Storm looks like at least 36 hours E to NE to N to W winds. Target area for eye right now from mouth of chessie to NYC. Storms is 400 iles wide at least and will hit with gale force winds. Astronomical high tides with full moon on Monday. Surge predicted at 6 ft but its a long way off to make an accurate prediction. This storm looks nasty.

Feel free to PM me for my cell phone/ If I can assist you in any way let me know. I amgoing to be at my boat from Friday at 3 through Tuesday it appears.

dave
Tempest likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.