Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Joe, be careful out there, Sandy sounds like a very unfriendly lady. They have now closed the Erie Canal, so you got through in time! Batten those hatches, put down all your anchors, and keep the girls safe!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

no problem, 45# claw, couple danforth's ,plenty of chain an rode, ample scope.
bring it, I ain't skeered. (ok,concerned maybe)
Just another day at the beach (hopefully not ON the beach,pretty rocky !)
Old 10-29-2012
cruising all I can

Well, it's 3am and I'm still waiting for the armagedin that the news channels and every landlubber I know has called or e-mailed me to worry about.
So far the highest winds reported from noaa at the airfield closest to Chesapeake city ,MD were only about 35-40. And the recent forcast predicts about 20-30 gusts at the most ! big deal.
I quit answering my phone and let it go to voice mail. I'm tired of explaining to everyone where I am and why they need to throw their TV's away and start doing more reading.
Now, don't get me wrong , maybe there are those in danger or are experiencing an actual storm threat.
But it hasn't happened here yet, and I doubt it's gonna.
My real concern is how I'm getting to the Dollar tree and Walmart in elkton in a couple days and hoping their not closed due to power outage. but if so , oh well, I'll manage.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 10-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Joe,

I am on Rock Creek end of the Patapso at the Bay in a sheltered cove. We are on the west side of the Bay across from Rock Hall. It is blowing 30 steady and have seen gusts already to 45. This registered on my masthead wind istrument. Storm center is still 400 miles away.
Glad you are seeing less. You will on that side of the Bay till the wind shifts to NW.
Not predicting Armegedon but we have a ways to go.

Elton probably won't have electricity for a few days if it is anything like Irene they were own there for 5 days in most areas.

Stay safe

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Good to hear from you Joe.
Yes, the media is having a field day with this predicting a tidal surge of 8 - 11' on the LI Sound, NY Harbor, Hudson and whipping everyone to a near frenzy with talk of mandatory evacuations. As if we don't know how to evacuate in private by now! I suppose that I am near panic as I am still awake at nearly 4 AM, waiting for the bad weather to materialize that is in the forecast.
The barometer is dropping steadily everywhere from Norfolk to Maine and this is not just a 'nothing' system passing through so do take care. I am betting though that NYC will still be here when you pass through on your way back north again.
Enjoy!

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 10-29-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Elkton, MD 5 day forecast

100% chance of wind >39mph
80% chance of wind >50mph
20% chance of wind >74 mph (hurricane)

Not fun, but the above is realistic anyway. I'm sure you'll do fine.

I think the aggravation of this storm is not going to be its maximum sustained winds, but how long one has to deal with heavy winds. It looks like it will stall after it makes landfall and push 40+ knot winds around for a couple of days. That gets very very tiresome and slows down the recovery effort for power outages and road closures.

Best of luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-29-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

The boat is aerodynamic and shouldn't see much actual force as it turns its bow into the wind. Surge is just a really high tide. Chesepeak City is so sheltered it's practically inland. Do everyone a favor and check in when you can.
fryewe likes this.
Old 10-29-2012
cruising all I can

Ok, so this morning I'm up early cause' I slept half the day yesterday -bored.
There was maybe 20 out of the N-NE no problem , got 2 anchors out and plenty of rhode and chain,good to go.
Aound 9am it starts to pick up a bit, still no problem plenty of swing room and room to my lee.
Then, it shifts more northernly and starts veering from a more NW direction. Well now Im in 2-3 boat lengths of a rocky lee shore and in front of the little creek bridge that flows into the anchorage. I start getting a little concerned and bail the dinghy as I stand on the swim platform the shore is uncomfortably close and a lee shore (got a problem w/ that) So, inside I go and our cabin girl "Marina" (8 years old) starts looking at me asking if everything is OK. I say sure honey, no problem. Mom's starting breakfast , wood stove's cranking heat. Generators running, charging,making ice for the cooler.She asks me again if everything is OK. I reasure her it is (as I nervously peer out the hatches and we swing and I feel the chain tighten and jerk) So , I decide to check the anchors. Up on deck for a cool morning shower. The all chain is taught, with the 45# Claw, the other rope rhode is loose (smaller Danforth type) , I start pulling to check the set. It's free, broke out (blood pressure spike). I haul in over 150' of rhode and chain (blood pressure maxin',heart rate at training level) I come back into the salon and make a command decision. "get on the Helm now (to the first (best) mate). We're moving, hauling anchor"
So, w/ first mate at the helm and specific instructions as to running course speed and reviewing hand signals we haul anchor and power to the free facedock , thankful there was space for us.
Now after de-fib, and a good breakfast we're tied along side w/ every cleat available.
Gotta wipe the crow off my face and I'm good. Comfort factor increased. now to pull the cockpit cushion out of my A. . . .
Might even sleep tonight.
After docking the fellow anchored next to me calls and asks how much room is there for his 45' morgan, as the forecast isn't looking any better and the wind is doing it's best to howl. I say bring it on in and I'll be there to catch a line or whatever you need.
Family safe=check. boat at dock=check, bar of soap to wash off egg=double check.
Does my Daughter know me or what, just can't fool that kid.
Thanks for your concern, now I'm a little more at ease.
Old 10-29-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Jeezuzsss!! No, there aint no egg on your face - this **** is serious. So glad you had a plan B, or maybe that is plan C.
Old 10-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Way to go, skipper. I would say that was good command decisioning. Glad you and the family are safe. Monitoring sea levels, dock lines and fenders for the next couple days, is probably going to be exhausting. Be well.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.