Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Anchored in Sassafras River

Chesapeake City,MD. turned out to be a good place to hole-up for the Sandy event. And the people there could not be nicer and more accomidating. Offering rides to local stores,use of vehicles, even free dockage from the town !
The electric and/or water is available for a small fee, $15 for Elec. and $10 for water, A deal considering the dockage is free. And considering the time of year and the impending weather , it was a welcomed spot.
However after 5 days waiting at anchor and the dock in the cool weather it was way past time to move on in my opinion.
So , on the high tide we set out south with a forcast West wind of 10-15. Entering the C&D with the current against the west wind resulted in the usual 1'-2' chop and confused sea in the canal and it worsended to 1-3' with breaking waves , so after 5 hours of motoring into the wind (which I deplore) we turned east , hoisted the sails, turned off the diesel and sailed up the Sassafras to a very protected spot I have used in the past.
It's on the north side of the river back up in a shallow area 4-6' there is a campground near and alledgedly an historic plantation. Though I've never been able to pinpoint exactly where that is even looking on mapquest , there are no signs on the water.
So , up early , start a fire in the wood stove to take off the chill and consider what to do today as the forcast is 10-20 w/ 30 gusts from the west for the day.
I prefer to sail not motor so I may wait until tommorrow for the NE winds before continuing south
we'll see how it looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We like Turner Creek on he Sasafrass. Winds not forecast to be NE. Forecast is W then turning NW for Sat and Sunday. Forecast 10-20 with gusts to 25. Good for a reefed beam reach down the Bay. North winds appearing Monday . We maybe out tomorrow.

Naval Academy, MD Marine Weather and Tide Forecast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-03-2012
cruising all I can

long day, Sassafras to Annapolis All under sail lft 10am arrived 7pm.
What a day, Never sailed intentionaly like that before in this boat.
It was blowing pretty good.Good enough to keep us heeled all day.
Had the rail in the water a coule times, and I'e got 5' of freebord !
Old 11-03-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe, you're in Annapolis now? Check out the tug of war today (Sat) at noon across Spa Creek!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-03-2012
cruising all I can

Hi, Yes anchored in spa creek (utoh- just outed myself) I just flaged down the Harbor master and got the skinny on showers/laundry/anchoring. He was very helpful, nice fella.
We're gonna move a little closer to the "action" to minimive the dinghy rowing (cartio) so that we can get all cleaned up (dirty sailors) and put on a better apearance before getting out among the masses (the first mate insists) . So, I guess it's time to re-anchor and bail the dinghy , better stretch and psych up for the rowing workout !
Maybe we'll see you at the tug of war, are you competeing ?
Old 11-03-2012
cruising all I can

Incidently, the sail down from Sassafras yesterday was wild, I've never intentionally sailed this boat that hard before, we were screaming 7-7.5mph and healing over getting the raill wet and running in the trough a while getting waves over the fordeck, even w/ 5'+ freeboard. It was a new one for us ! Very exciting. Even w/ my mproperly fitted tattered old sails. I wonder ow much difference a decent set would make on the handling and performance. Or if it wouldn't be noticable.
Anyway , here we are !
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 11-03-2012

Joe, not competing, but we'll be the ones dressed like pirates.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 11-03-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Joe, not competing, but we'll be the ones dressed like pirates.
Well do you dress any other way?
Old 11-05-2012
cruising all I can

Monday, Monday.
Here we sit, 6:45am at anchor trying to decide wether to head out of the anchorage or end up hanging around until possibly next week with the bad weather expected to start tues. night or wens.
From what I can determine there are forcast north winds 10-15 and there is a small craft advisory in effect in the area we want to travel (naturaly) .
So, I could stay around do some sail repair, patch the leakx\s in the dinghy , go to the house of concern and get a coat (didn't bring one for me,Duh.) and probably a host of other maint. things.
Or, head out and get further south and hope it's not crappy. Of course it seems like a long stretch from Annapolis to Solomons and I don't see alot of bail out opportunities I'm familiar with along the way. So it's go or no go ??
Anyone care to chime in ?
Old 11-05-2012

Joe, you're right about the long stretch from Annapolis to Solomons. There are a few places to bail about 2-3 hours into the trip (Rhode River; Herring Bay) but then there's that long smooth stretch of coastline. My normal advice to anyone who's still here this late in the season is to GO every day you possibly can, because Old Man Winter is right behind you and its only going to get colder.

I'm reluctant to advise otherwise, But without a coat? Can we split the difference? You attend to that first thing this morning, then head out at least that first 2 hours, then finish to Solomons next day? Getting that head start on it would make it easier to beat the weather.

and
! And a new project:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.