SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

28K views 183 replies 24 participants last post by  joethecobbler 
#1 ·
Summer has past fall is definetaly here. So it's time for us to cast off the dock lines in Upstate and begin the southernly travel.
The last few weeks have been the usual struggle to decide what to bring and what to abandon.
The 5 cu. freezer quit so I tossed it, more storage space.
The woodstove (a Mini-Smith) has been serviced and installed, the interior got a coat of varnish,the usual bottom job,rebedded the through hulls,removed and cleaned diesel tank,added water tank,etc.etc.
Couldn't decide on hard or inflatable so, bringing both.
Solar as primary power w/ 300w gas gen. on standby.
Old crappy main sail and numerous other sails.
All that's left is to host the Bon Voyage party at the Marina today answer numerous redundant questions about the itinerary and time frame (it takes as long as it takes and were going to the place where we'll turn around) and then depart the next day or so after a wind down from the often emotional goodbye's of family and friends who insist on details of the trip we are honestly unable to provide concerning travel times and destinations.
Oh, and also make the determination as to whether or not I want to blog our travels or start a fund request sight or commercialize the trip or just keep to ourselves and be anonamous ! ?? ! !
If I blog I'll have to get the first mate involved to spell check and proof read, no doubt.
anyway, here we go again !

JTC and crew aboard SV Exposition - Sailing as "No Hurry"

website and blog coming soon ...... maybe...

See less See more
#82 ·
We like Turner Creek on he Sasafrass. Winds not forecast to be NE. Forecast is W then turning NW for Sat and Sunday. Forecast 10-20 with gusts to 25. Good for a reefed beam reach down the Bay. North winds appearing Monday . We maybe out tomorrow.

Naval Academy, MD Marine Weather and Tide Forecast

#83 ·
long day, Sassafras to Annapolis All under sail lft 10am arrived 7pm.
What a day, Never sailed intentionaly like that before in this boat.
It was blowing pretty good.Good enough to keep us heeled all day.
Had the rail in the water a coule times, and I'e got 5' of freebord !

#84 ·
Hey Joe, you're in Annapolis now? Check out the tug of war today (Sat) at noon across Spa Creek!

#85 ·
Hi, Yes anchored in spa creek (utoh- just outed myself) I just flaged down the Harbor master and got the skinny on showers/laundry/anchoring. He was very helpful, nice fella.
We're gonna move a little closer to the "action" to minimive the dinghy rowing (cartio) so that we can get all cleaned up (dirty sailors) and put on a better apearance before getting out among the masses (the first mate insists) . So, I guess it's time to re-anchor and bail the dinghy , better stretch and psych up for the rowing workout !
Maybe we'll see you at the tug of war, are you competeing ?

#86 ·
Incidently, the sail down from Sassafras yesterday was wild, I've never intentionally sailed this boat that hard before, we were screaming 7-7.5mph and healing over getting the raill wet and running in the trough a while getting waves over the fordeck, even w/ 5'+ freeboard. It was a new one for us ! Very exciting. Even w/ my mproperly fitted tattered old sails. I wonder ow much difference a decent set would make on the handling and performance. Or if it wouldn't be noticable.
Anyway , here we are !

#87 ·
Joe, not competing, but we'll be the ones dressed like pirates.

#89 ·
Monday, Monday.
Here we sit, 6:45am at anchor trying to decide wether to head out of the anchorage or end up hanging around until possibly next week with the bad weather expected to start tues. night or wens.
From what I can determine there are forcast north winds 10-15 and there is a small craft advisory in effect in the area we want to travel (naturaly) .
So, I could stay around do some sail repair, patch the leakx\s in the dinghy , go to the house of concern and get a coat (didn't bring one for me,Duh.) and probably a host of other maint. things.
Or, head out and get further south and hope it's not crappy. Of course it seems like a long stretch from Annapolis to Solomons and I don't see alot of bail out opportunities I'm familiar with along the way. So it's go or no go ??
Anyone care to chime in ?

#90 ·
Joe, you're right about the long stretch from Annapolis to Solomons. There are a few places to bail about 2-3 hours into the trip (Rhode River; Herring Bay) but then there's that long smooth stretch of coastline. My normal advice to anyone who's still here this late in the season is to GO every day you possibly can, because Old Man Winter is right behind you and its only going to get colder.

I'm reluctant to advise otherwise, But without a coat? Can we split the difference? You attend to that first thing this morning, then head out at least that first 2 hours, then finish to Solomons next day? Getting that head start on it would make it easier to beat the weather.

#92 ·
Well, thanks for the advice on herring bay and the river. I'll research that.
Today , I think we're gonna plan on staying put. I don't like the small craft adv. and the outlook seems like a little more than our comfort factor.
Other than our desire to get to warmer weather we aren't on any schedule or deadline and really no place we need to be.
Other than the cold issue, this is as good a place to be as any, I guess.
The other factors are;
1. I need to look at another mainsail, the one I have is from a hunter 27 and is old ripped rotten ,blown out of shape and the wrong size for this boat.
2. The dinghy leaks so fast that you have to bail as fast as you row and we're tired of our feet being wet and cold. I can fix the leaks , just takes a little time.
3. I didn't bring much (any) cold weather gear , figurin' we'd be going south and be warm ! well , so much for that. I need to go to a good will and find a cheap coat and maybe some other clothes. Fortunately the rest of the crew is better prepared. I've just been trying to "tuff it out" but it's wearing on me.
4. I gotta get things straightened out on deck better, way outta control and needs to be addressed. Looks like hell and is just wrong.
So, I guess we'll be learning the bus system and walking a bit today. I believe the house of concern is supposed to be near Bacon's so I can kill two birds w/ one stone going ashore. then this afternoon or tommorrow address the dinghy and deck issues.
Always feel less stressed after I formulate a plan.
I have to agree ol' winter is knocking at the door, but I think it would be foolish to head out w/ the issues that need addressing.
On a good note the couple anchored near us have been here a while also heat w/ wood and are staying around for a while finishing their issues aboard. Chatted w/ them yesterday while we dinghy/bailed by and they seemed friendly, always encouraging when we're not the only ones.

#93 ·
Tolerance to cold is directly related to where you live.
It seems folks south of the mason dixon line do not tolerate the cold very well.

Up in NH we don't roll up the car windows until it's at least 20, then we only roll em half way up.

#94 ·
Well , I was born and spent the first thirty years in the fingerlakes region of NY and used to to winter camping. then I spent 15 years in florida and liked not freezing, So I understand .
The first mate ,however has alot of that thin southern blood from 30 years of daytona life and she doesn't like being cold,at all. When she is it becomes uncomfortable for us both,if ya' know what I mean.
My daughter (8) would run barefoot in the snow if we let her.

#96 ·
Alright then , I guess I'll measure the leading edge of the mainsail track again and the boom length and make my way to bacon's and the salvation army. wisk me luck.
I can already feel the cash being sucked out of my wallet.
I hate parting w/ my money, really I do. we have such little time together it seems.

#97 ·
I always thought small craft advisories were announcements that there would be no stinkpotters in the way. Gale advisories get my attention.

Although, good idea to be sure you are properly fitted out for the trip.

Since you are trying to get south for the weather, it can stay cold this time of year until you get to Georgia.

When will you need to head north again, or I should say, when do you need to be home?

#98 ·
I always thought small craft advisories were announcements that there would be no stinkpotters in the way. Gale advisories get my attention.

Although, good idea to be sure you are properly fitted out for the trip.

Since you are trying to get south for the weather, it can stay cold this time of year until you get to Georgia.

When will you need to head north again, or I should say, when do you need to be home?
I guess I over-react to the weather thing some times. Probably could have gone no problem.
The real stress I guess is/was the leaky dingy,the cold,and the crappy main sail.
I checked out Bacon and a couple other options and even cruised craigslist a little.
The sun came out, I had a little something to eat , and now the feeling of panic and urgency has past ! I got to thinkin' "hey, I'm fine, calm down" wife says it's a blood sugar thing. could be.
As for being back "home" I guess spring time april-may would work. Again , I gotta remember this is a vacation/adventure/journey not a death march and it really doesn't matter where we go or don't go we're just floatin' around. I'd like to get to the Keys but if it doesn't happen- Meh I'll store the boat or sell it and try again next year.
But so far we're on track, we've got time and haven't run out of money . So I guess we're good.
Now to decide about the mainsail. Looked at a few ranging from $200-$1000 decisions decisions. Guess I'll work at a few other issues and procrastinate a bit longer.
repair dinghy leak,get a coat, maybe some rubber boots,gloves, you know-stuff I already have but didn't bring along ! gotta work on that packing list.
So, we'll chill at anchor and work through it.

#99 ·
If your current sail is blown, you're best with a replacement. But, if it just doesn't fit well, it may be less expensive to have it cut. A few hundred dollars would buy a lot of surgery to a sail.

Good to have some warm clothing for the return trip too. Mid-Atlantic in April can be just as dicey. Buy some plastic space bags. When you get south and don't need them, borrow a shop vac and shrink it all for storage.

#100 ·
Another hat trick-

Yesterday looked a little grim at theonset, then I took the bull by the horns.
Went ashore walked to bacon sails and WOW what a place spent the whole afternoon there looking at everything. At the end of the day I got everything I needed and didn't spend over $165.00 for all of it !
Another mainsail- 7.5 oz great shape, good fit leach line,bolt rope,cunningham cable All I needed to add was 17 cringles for the slides, did that this morning.
Also found a great chart magnifying glassw/ a light. A good pair of rubber boots, an extra air pumb for the deflatable dinghy, An last but not least a COAT yes and a fowl weather coat at that ! $25 had a bad zipper which I'll replace today when I get out the sewing machine.
This morning I hauled the hard dinghy and repaired the leaks , now waiting for the 3m to set up and we're back in buss.
The people at Bacon are great, even gave us a ride back to the dinghy dock after closing so we didn't have to walk, nice people and they love working there.
Beautiful day today ,sunny a bit cool.
Gonna check the forcast and take one more dinghy ride for some mik ,bread,eggs and then onward we weather permitting.

#101 ·
Another hat trick-

Also found a great chart magnifying glassw/ a light. A good pair of rubber boots, an extra air pumb for the deflatable dinghy, An last but not least a COAT yes and a fowl weather coat at that ! $25 had a bad zipper which I'll replace today when I get out the sewing machine.
assuming it was intentional, but a dingy that is constantly leaking, and you call it a deflatable, made me spill my coffee. :laugher:laugher:laugher

The people at Bacon are great, even gave us a ride back to the dinghy dock after closing so we didn't have to walk, nice people and they love working there.
Beautiful day today ,sunny a bit cool.
Well of course they love working there, they get to play with boat parts everyday in the words of the immortal Dire Straights...

That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb

#102 ·
Your report about Bacon's in Annapolis fits nicely with what many others have told me about that place. I'm going to have to find some time to stop in there the next time I'm in the area. Sounds like a skin flints paradise.

I can't believe that you got a mainsail for that cheap! I hope it has a reef point or two?

#104 ·
up late- or realy early, depends how you look at it.
Fell asleep listening to the election on the radio.
woke up and the fire in the wood stove was down to embers. Stoked it up good, gotta' keep my peep's warm and healthy.
The dinghy repair worked like a charm,good ol' 3m 5200 luv that stuff. Oh, and to be clear I have 2 dinghies one is a hard dinghy 8' (the former lleaker) and the other is the Deflatable, it's like new (or was when I packed it b-4 we left NY) I haven't even inflated the Deflatable yet, been using the leaker. I'm planning on registering the Deflatable in Fl. so I can legaly run the 3.5 johnson on it when in the warm water. that's why I'm using the oars for now. Don't want to make any donations to the justice system along the way, so I row for now and leave the motor on the rail.
The -new to me- mainsail hoisted great after I installed 15-20 cringles and the sliders. Unfortunately it has no reef points,yet.
If I get back to Bacon's in the next day or so, I'll get what I need to add one or two reef points. I need a couple battens as well.
My Coat fits great and will keep me warm and dry, adding to the comfort level muchly,and reducing fatigue and stress, making it alll good.
Today the first best mate baked chocolate cookies w/ assistence from our cabin girl "Marina" and I busied myself doing maint/cleanup on deck.
Then, I couldn't help but take the now non-leaking dinghy for a run. What a joy it is to row and not have to bail between strokes w/ wet cold feet.The crew is very pleased w/ the possibilities.
On my dinghy joyride I visited/pestered the neighbors on their cool panda 40 near me , they are getting ready to split fri as well (after the storm passes) they said they have a car and asked if I needed to go to the grocery.
Of course I'm always up for a grocery run, as it is one of the few times I'm almost not sad about opening the vault.
I really dig food, itls so comforting.
So, we'll all be shopping a bit later.
Also, while on my row I went ashore to stretch my legs and found a place that sells firewood. I think I startled the lady in the house when I knocked as it was dusk,and folks here in Annapolis seem a bit leary of me when I don't have the crew w/me to "soften the appearance" as #1 put's it.
After I assured the lady I was only there to inquire about the firewood for sale, she gave me the phone number to call in the morning to set up a firewood pick-up (guess I shoulda' combed my hair/beard b-4 knockin'). Nothing like good aged dried split hardwood to burn.beats the driftwood/fallen stuff.
So, If I don't have to get a snow shovel to clear the deck we should be off on our way again friday.

Stay warm- thanks for listenin'

#105 ·
I've never heard of a State where a transient couldn't use the motor of their dinghy. While they're all different, all that I know require you to be there for several weeks up to months before you register. Even then, if you move among the state, I've never heard of anyone being caught. What the difference between your dinghy/motor and the sailboat/motor?

#106 ·
the dinghy isn't registered, so I don't think I can legaly use a motor on an unregistered vessel. The sailboat (the main craft) Is registered , and therefore is not an issue. I'm not sure but my understanding is you are required to have any vessel w/ an engine/motor registered . you cannot simply throw a motor on anything because it's your dinghy.
If I'm wrong then I'm rowing for nothing. If I'm correct I'm avoiding a ticket/fine.
In the last 3-4 days we've been here in Annapolis I/we have been approached 2-3 times already by various law nforcement inquiring as to our "plans" and asking for our boat name,cell phone # and being "advised" of the 75' stand-off law when anchoring. (already knew about it, thanks to sailnetters)
So, when in doubt of local laws I prefer to tread on the safe side. I don't like making donations of hard currency to local enforcement agencies.
maybe I'm just overly causious/paranoid.

#108 ·
This town ,Annapolis , is a pretty "haughty" high brow place. And we are obviously not.
As such I make an extra effort , when transitting such areas, to be extra careful to abide by all local customs and laws, to always remember to wear a smile when interfacing w/ authorities and be extra courtious when in public, to avoid unpleasant attention I seem to attract from those entrusted w/ serving and protecting us.
I would actually prefer to completely avoid locations like this (annapolis) as I find them expensive and restrictive.
On the same hand , it is a beautiful place w/ very historic charm and the few working people I have come into contact w/ in the city marina fuel dock, Bacon's, and the CVS have been quite nice after the initial verneer is scraped away and they relax a little.
but I get a feeling they are all scared for there little jobs and quick to judge by appearance.
Also, If I was traveling w/out my wife and child I'm certain I would get a much closer inspection from the local authorities than I've already experienced.
twice, since we've been here we have been approached and asked if we were homeless and yesterday while walking we stopped to ask directions, we were directed to a salvation army shelter ! we were asking were goodwill was, because it was near Bacon's
It was kinda funny,though.

#109 ·
You are probably right that the tender should be registered somewhere to be legal. I'm not totally certain of it though. I wonder if there are states where there is no registration for the tender.

I've heard many proclaim that putting T/T followed by your boat name on the tender (meaning tender to .........) will skirt the registration problem, assuming your boat is registered. I've never read where that is officially correct, however, I have seen it many many times.

You're probably better safe than sorry, although, that cardiac event you refer to doesn't sound too safe either ! As you proclaim that you draw attention to yourself, you might consider adjusting that as a safety measure against getting fines you are unaware of. In today's society, when traveling from state to state, it is entirely impossible to be aware of all the rules and regulations. Just like world cruisers, who have to deal with that many times over, the trick is always to avoid attracting attention.

Ironically, I'm not convinced that rowing your tender changes the registration requirement in some states.

All the best on your journey, I enjoy reading it while stuck on the hard these days.

#110 ·
I often have my wife just drop me off at Bacons when we are in the Annapolis area. I have gotten so much good stuff there and the room in back....like a flea market for sailing stuff

Sorry you are being hassled by the authorities. They have nothing to do now that most of the boaters have packed it in.

Solomons is a really nice place to visit. It will be a long day from Annapolis. As stated after Herrington Bay...no where to pull off.

Winds After the storm should favor you for 3 days. Slight warm up through Sunday with cold nights. You should be able to make it past the Potomac by then. Crossing the Potomac is long...really long...hours....conditions there can get really rough asometimes when wind opposes tide. You get short chop...square waves that will kill your boat speed,

OK off to work. I work in the US Capitol Building so today is usually interesting after an election.
When I left work Friday all the HOouse of Representatives memebrs and their staffs had moved all their office furniture into the hallways of the three office buildings./

Stay safe and warm ( glad you got a coat)

Dave

#111 ·
Not being "hassled" just observed , I guess.
And I can't really say I don't understand why. Considering the issues that surround cruising and the real or percieved problems with derelict vessels, Squaters" Waste discharge etc. I can appreciate the added enforcement.
If my hometown was a famous sailing destiny I would want to assure that it didn't get trashed and abused as well !
I just want to hang a sign on the side of the boat sometimes that says something like
- AHOY, to all concerned, although my boat may not be completely bristol in appearance and there may be a slight accumulation on deck and one or more of the occupants may appear a bit disheveled, rest assured we are only passing through your home, temporarily seeking a safe anchorage then moving along. While we are here we will be happy to comply w/ your laws and customs. we wish only to visit,take a few pictures, spend a few dollars for provisions or to enjoy a local interest and then depart in good grace. we will not dump our waste or trash in an unacceptable or illegal manner nor will we tresspass or become an issue or eyesore. -
Of course I probably would need a bigger boat to get all that on it !
Any , it's all good. we're good .be good gotta stoke the woodstoveand make some tea.
hey maybe I could have cards made up and then just hand them to the officers when the approach, eliminating alot of discussion. course' then we'd never get to actualy talk to any of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.