SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/92803-finger-lakes-ny-key-west-fl.html)

joethecobbler 10-06-2012 11:23 AM

Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Summer has past fall is definetaly here. So it's time for us to cast off the dock lines in Upstate and begin the southernly travel.
The last few weeks have been the usual struggle to decide what to bring and what to abandon.
The 5 cu. freezer quit so I tossed it, more storage space.
The woodstove (a Mini-Smith) has been serviced and installed, the interior got a coat of varnish,the usual bottom job,rebedded the through hulls,removed and cleaned diesel tank,added water tank,etc.etc.
Couldn't decide on hard or inflatable so, bringing both.
Solar as primary power w/ 300w gas gen. on standby.
Old crappy main sail and numerous other sails.
All that's left is to host the Bon Voyage party at the Marina today answer numerous redundant questions about the itinerary and time frame (it takes as long as it takes and were going to the place where we'll turn around) and then depart the next day or so after a wind down from the often emotional goodbye's of family and friends who insist on details of the trip we are honestly unable to provide concerning travel times and destinations.
Oh, and also make the determination as to whether or not I want to blog our travels or start a fund request sight or commercialize the trip or just keep to ourselves and be anonamous ! ?? ! !
If I blog I'll have to get the first mate involved to spell check and proof read, no doubt.
anyway, here we go again !

JTC and crew aboard SV Exposition - Sailing as "No Hurry"

website and blog coming soon ...... maybe...

CalebD 10-06-2012 12:50 PM

Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

I'll look for you on the lower Hudson some time soon.
No SPOT page?
I have been following Roger Long (from SBO.com) on his way south. It is fun to watch his progress - almost at C&D canal today. Here is his link to his SPOT: STRIDER Tracking
Smooth sailing Joe & Co.

joethecobbler 10-07-2012 07:42 PM

Nice looking Tartan on your web page.
I often anchor near the tappan zee bridge on the east side between the tarrytown yacht cup and the terrytown boat club out of the current and i maybe ten feet or so.
I've ancored there w/ success acouple times. probably will again this trip.

Today we finally got loaded and departed from lock CS-4 to the east and went as far as Seneca Falls ,NY to tie up along side for the evening. We arrived about 5pm and took advantage of the electric,water and laundry available. The Canal corporation has put alot of money into improving the available services along the canal and I like it. It makes for a nice trip across NY.
We'll hope to leave in the Morning , I hope the rain stops and the day is pleasant.

CalebD 10-07-2012 08:57 PM

I bet you'll be traveling through some nice foliage on your way down. Going through the NY canal system is on my bucket list.

I've come to respect the reversing current in the Hudson so I try not to anchor out overnight in the river proper. There is a nice little anchorage, out of the river just south of Haverstraw Marina, behind Bowline Point park (hexagonal gazebo at north side of entrance). If you decide to check this place out you should approach from the SE and hug the south side of the entrance as there is a nasty shoal in the middle just inside the entrance channel. I think that google maps shows where the shoal is but I found it all by myself this summer, the hard way; hard aground that is. This location should be quieter than listening to the traffic on the Tappan Zee bridge all night.
If you'd rather take a hot shower and use a shore side head you could spring for the $25/night guest mooring at the Nyack Boat Club where we keep our T27. NBC is on the western shore from the anchorage you have used before. Club launch monitors VHF ch 9. Restaurants within walking distance and the club usually stocks ice.

Even though I live in lower Manhattan I choose to drive up to Nyack to sail as the scenery is more to my liking. When near NYC where do usually anchor or tie up?
I know that some like to anchor just south and west of Lady Liberty. I've never done that.
The cheapest moorings on the Manhattan side are operated by NYC Parks dept. at 79th Street. I think it is $40/night for a transient mooring but I gather that they charge you extra for stuff like using the dinghy dock. I forget if they have shower facilities or not.
The next cheapest mooring on Manhattan are just north of the World Financial Center and are $75/night. They have a launch which would put you right at Chambers Street. This facility is now operated by Liberty Landing Marina and I'm not sure if your $75 mooring fee entitles you to use their facilities which are located just across the river.

Another place I just found out about this year is in Hoboken called the 14th St. Marina, or something like that. I have no idea how much they charge or what facilities they have but it would be a short PATH train ride to the chaos of NYC, if that is even on your radar. Perhaps some good old fashioned chaos would be just the thing after your hopefully bucolic trip through the canals and down the Hudson.

joethecobbler 10-08-2012 08:53 PM

I checked out that haverstraw location and it looks interesting , if I'm looking at the right spot.
when I get to NYC I usualy anchor west of lady Liberty on the jersey side.
Today we made it from Seneca Falls,ny to Baldwinsville,NY on the canal motoring , supposed to get some frost tonight, might have to fire up the wood stove !

KIVALO 10-08-2012 09:22 PM

Hit up Abigail's Restaurant in Waterloo. Easy walking distance from the Canal.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethecobbler (Post 930583)
Nice looking Tartan on your web page.
I often anchor near the tappan zee bridge on the east side between the tarrytown yacht cup and the terrytown boat club out of the current and i maybe ten feet or so.
I've ancored there w/ success acouple times. probably will again this trip.

Today we finally got loaded and departed from lock CS-4 to the east and went as far as Seneca Falls ,NY to tie up along side for the evening. We arrived about 5pm and took advantage of the electric,water and laundry available. The Canal corporation has put alot of money into improving the available services along the canal and I like it. It makes for a nice trip across NY.
We'll hope to leave in the Morning , I hope the rain stops and the day is pleasant.

joethecobbler 10-08-2012 10:02 PM

Kivalo- sorry I'm way past abigails . I'm in Baldwinsville waiting to make a dash across the Onieda Lake , about 25-30 miles brewerton to Sylvan beach.
Besides, eating at abigails cost too much, actually eating out at any restaurant costs too much . I always feel like C@#* the next day after I eat out. And , I'm very frugile and prefer to prepare my own fare. I feel I do a great job and the service and company is always to my liking .
But after you've enjoyed your self on thier fine cuisine feel free to stop by for a drink and a bit of lively conversation.

KIVALO 10-08-2012 11:11 PM

I have done the trip before, it should be nice this time of year. Enjoy it man!

Brad

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethecobbler (Post 931044)
Kivalo- sorry I'm way past abigails . I'm in Baldwinsville waiting to make a dash across the Onieda Lake , about 25-30 miles brewerton to Sylvan beach.
Besides, eating at abigails cost too much, actually eating out at any restaurant costs too much . I always feel like C@#* the next day after I eat out. And , I'm very frugile and prefer to prepare my own fare. I feel I do a great job and the service and company is always to my liking .
But after you've enjoyed your self on thier fine cuisine feel free to stop by for a drink and a bit of lively conversation.

CalebD 10-08-2012 11:28 PM

Joe,
Yes. That Bowline Point anchorage is a great place to be in a blow or storm; no fetch, no current and decent holding. I'd rather be tucked in there then out in the river if the weather got nasty.
It is a small pond really, formed by the digging of clay materials for making bricks which Haverstraw was famous for almost a century ago. There are some stores that could be reached by dinghy and a short hike on the south side of the anchorage. The power plant close by made a pretty quiet neighbor when I stayed there overnight this summer.
I generally prefer my own cooking to eating out as well. Healthier and cheaper.

You are still a ways from the Mohawk/Hudson intersection. Better get that wood stove fired up and enjoy the ride. It is even almost cold down here in NYC tonight (48F).

joethecobbler 10-08-2012 11:38 PM

great then, i think if I get to that point on the hudson I'll definetaly try to get in there. As you suggested approaching from the SE and keeping to the south shore to avoid the shoal on the north side. What is the depth there ? I draw 3 1/2 - 4' loaded. Any issues w/ that ?
probably in about a week or less depening on weather and how quick I get the mast stepped at Castleton boat club. Last time north we hit the open house party at castleton, three days later we got underway again !!
this saiing life can get tough some times.