Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
"Interrupted Cruising"

My philosophy on cruising is what I call "Interrupted Cruising" is driven by both not wanting to cruise full time and because I still have to make money and am somewhat limited by that. My experience with cruising is that I can only take about 10 days to two weeks aboard (including considerable time ashore) before I really want to get back to work and do cool stuff ( am a self employed inventor/physics geek).
So, I advocate getting a very old but good boat and paying her off and then equipping her well with necessary gear but with few amenities. Then I sail places for 10 days or so and leave her in cool places. Often simply finding a good place is an adventure in itself but mostly I have kept her in marinas. I spend a lot of time looking for less expensive marinas as I have no shore power or water connection so all I need is a dock or a buoy.
Most of us can get enough time off to sail for a week at a time several times a year or even more so this worked well when I was only sailing around Florida. However, I think this could also work overseas (Bahamas etc.) if one could find less expensive places to keep her. I have found the bahamas seem to have few marinas and this has been a problem but I also think I could find locals with docks for a lot less if I really tried.
What would be idea would be to find someone else who is into the same sort of thing who could share in the expense but that seems unlikely.
Does anybody else cruise in a similar manner?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook