Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road
Re: Texas to Mex. Riviera, to Cayamans

Next project ......
Before heading out to Progresso mid-next year I will be re-fitting my waste holding tank and all associated hoses and valves.... My current set up is over 15 years old.... and is beginning to smell like it.

My current hoses only go from head to tank, then from tank I have a Y valve to direct either to pumpout or out through thru-hull out into the deep blue via macerator pump (with a manula as a back up)... once I'm 3+miles off of course. .

I do NOT want to start poking more holes in my Hull below the water line........ but I DO want the option to pump directly overboard without going through the holding tank first..... This current set-up seems antiquated... and could be the cause of some odor buildup. ALL waste MUST go through tank first.

Recent research (and brain-picking) has led me to the following:

I will be getting a tank from either "plasticmart.com" or "Trionic" tanks. And I plan on using "Trident" sani-shield hoses with "whale" Y-Valves.

Basically I am going to re-hose the exact system just the way it is (with the new tank).... but then add an extra hose with "Y-valve" leading directly from head that will tie in to the (overboard) hose coming out from the holding tank. This way i can utilize the existing thru-hull while still having the option to by-pass the holding tank itself.

Questions and concerns ------- 1. I'm hoping that the new line, which is now essentially a direct "overboard" line tied in to existing holding tank discharge will b just fine if I tie it in downstream of the macerator pump. On the one hand I don't know if forcing the waste the small extra distance will put wear and tear on the manual head pump......but on the other hand there won't be enough water coming from head to keep macerator primed anyway.... So I plan on tieing in Downstream of macerator. *** Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated****

****I am hoping to find a "Y" thru-hull attachment (but I have never seen one)

A "Y" coming directly from the thru-hull would give me 2 points of attachment... rather than one coming thru that has to split into 2.. which would create 3 points of connection. I have not seen one of these though (maybe just my inexperience)

2. Of course I will need to add a "Y" valve at head to choose tank or overboard. BUT.... Since i plan on tying in downstream from macerator... will I need a "Y" valve there ?. My thinking is no. But then .. di I need a vente dloop since the tank is already vented ? and If so.... should the vented loop be upstream or dowstream from the "Y" valve that determines tank or overboard....

I'm no plumber.... but what started in my head a simple little "add a hose" idea.... is turning into dozens of variables !!!!

such are the joys of boat ownership !!

Fair winds,
---tapske...
NIF
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012
freedom seeker

For those that care... I added some pics to my "album"

And here is a little 2 min. video (with my oldest son, 15) kicked back in cockpit.

This is in the Gulf of Mexico 10 miles outside of Freeport, Texas in about 15-18 knot SE winds and seas running 2'-3'. Point of sail is Close reach, (about 60-70 degree off of wind) and Auto-steer wind vane is working like a CHAMP !!

copy and paste u-tube link to browser to see vid.

A day in the Gulf with Luna Sea - YouTube
Old 10-27-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road

ahoy luna-c,,sent ya a second posting 2 day ago ,not sure u got it or i'm still having tech problems w/laptop. nice video.
Old 11-01-2012
freedom seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2belize&back View Post
ahoy luna-c,,sent ya a second posting 2 day ago ,not sure u got it or i'm still having tech problems w/laptop. nice video.
2Bel,
No, I did not got them... plz resend anything U got.
Old 11-02-2012
wanderer

dohcdelsol93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
just sailed from tampa 2belize&back2texas, august & september,in a 22 footer.have many highlights of trip & info,i.e. incredible currents in the yucatan channel, wind behavior along mexican coast 2 belize city,a great place to dock or moor 15 miles south of cancun ect...feel free to ask.
Im very interested in hearing about this trip. Im planning a very similar trip in a boat about the same size. Would love to know what routes you took. What wind/current. Conditions affect the wave height. Im wanting to avoid marinsas and stick to rural and secluded anchorages. Avoid the crowds ..spend most of my time on the hook waiting out the next perfect weather window. No planned destinations beyond Belize ...just go wherever the wind points me.
Old 11-06-2012
freedom seeker

LAtest.....
Still working on ordering and prep for Holding tank refit...

In the mean time, getting ready to head out on a 2 day trip. Knocked barnicles off of prop... and did a little swimming to scrub hull a little.
Moving MarinaS.
The total trip is about 130 nm one way (South down Texas coast) from freeport to Port Aransas. Headin out 3 am-ish... to try to be at Port Aransas jettys close to sun-up the following day. I figure this way... even if wind dies (a rarity) or other "situations present themselves..... I could arrive 10 hours late.... and still have daylight to navigate a fairly unfamiliar channel. (been there twice).
I have the state of the art GPS, but only intend on turning it on if really needed. I love technology....but never want to be in a position where I am lost without it.

Taking celestial nav. as we speak !

---Fair winds....
tapske...

NIF
Old 11-07-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road

taps~ i just posted ya on the ahoy thread.i will be crewing a 37' 2 the carib soon. a montana guy bought it from doug at sea lake/clearlake the same day as i.he's never sailed,i'll be honored 2 show him the ropes.should be awesome.hope the moon lights your way
Old 11-07-2012
freedom seeker

Quote:
taps~ i just posted ya on the ahoy thread.i will be crewing a 37' 2 the carib soon. a montana guy bought it from doug at sea lake/clearlake the same day as i.he's never sailed,i'll be honored 2 show him the ropes.should be awesome.hope the moon lights your way
*** Sounds like a great trip. Some day I intendn having the skill/experience to offer similar services.
I couldnt help but laugh out loud at one of your comments. I recall on the very first ASA course I ever took, I told the Capt. I needed someone to "show me the ropes".
He said that was NOT possible, but he could show me the "lines".
His quasi-wit was lost on me at the time....but a short while later it was clear.

---fair winds.........live now, nothing is forever.

---tapske...
NIF
Old 11-07-2012
freedom seeker

On a side note..... I remember when the kemah pier had about a dozen shrimp boats that would sell direct to the public right off the back of the boat... and less than 20 slips for pleasure craft.
I remember my dad getting irate because the transient slips were over $7 a nite.
Now, with the boardwalk/midway attractions, transient slips are past $60 a night....If u can find one !
what a change!

some call it progress.......I call it trappings.....

Longing for simpler times.......seems like 99% are moving in the other direction.
Sometimes I am amazed just how complicated and difficult it can be to try to simplify things.

Oh the irony....

---tapske...
NIF
Old 11-07-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Make sure you have a ZARPE [ US clearance doc. ] when you enter Mexico.

Sure lots of people get away without one BUT Mexican law says you should have one and the Customs can seize your boat if you arrive without one. SV Judy Ann is currently one such boat.

See CLICKY FOR MORE INFO ON THIS.