Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012
Rogue Musician

TheTardis is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Moisture Control

This is great! I'm really getting a lot from reading thoughts on all sides of this debate and I really appreciate all of your comments! What I have done so far is: Applied mildew/mold resistant primer to the hull and put reflectix over that. The thought being that if there is any mold build up behind the insulation it will be kept to a minimum. I have ordered the hypervent for the settees and v-birth since most everyone agrees that it is a good thing. This leave me with venting or dehumidifying... Since I will need heat either way, I need to choose an appropriate heater. My boat is on 25' so it isn't much space to heat, and I do have shore power. So to redirect this thread for a sec, who is using what heaters and any opinions (and I KNOW you have them ! ) on what may work best for my small space. THANK YOU ALL!
HDChopper likes this.
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTardis View Post
This is great! I'm really getting a lot from reading thoughts on all sides of this debate and I really appreciate all of your comments! What I have done so far is: Applied mildew/mold resistant primer to the hull and put reflectix over that. The thought being that if there is any mold build up behind the insulation it will be kept to a minimum. I have ordered the hypervent for the settees and v-birth since most everyone agrees that it is a good thing. This leave me with venting or dehumidifying... Since I will need heat either way, I need to choose an appropriate heater. My boat is on 25' so it isn't much space to heat, and I do have shore power. So to redirect this thread for a sec, who is using what heaters and any opinions (and I KNOW you have them ! ) on what may work best for my small space. THANK YOU ALL!
On submarines, our greatest fear was fire or flooding. I am rather paranoid when it comes to heat producing equipment, and the load placed on electrical systems.

You really, really don't want to come back to your boat after a hard days' work and find a hull burned down to the waterline. Not to mention that you have a furry friend onboard.

First, make damn sure that your boat's shore power system is safe, and do not exceed it's load limit. (amperage)

Second, I've found that the oil-filled electric radiator heaters are much safer than forced-air fan heaters with the heater element. The oil-filled heaters have a tip-over shutoff for safety. They make a nice, dry heat.

I have a forced-air heater as a booster, but I NEVER run it unattended.
I also have a Coleman "Black Cat" catalytic propane heater, that will be my emergency booster on those few 11F degree days. I've seen 9F degrees since I've been in Maryland. It ain't pretty. The Coleman heater can be plumbed to a large propane bottle that you keep out in the cockpit if you buy the adapter kit.

pelonis-1-500-watt-portable-electric-oil-filled-radiant-heater

Forced air heater

Coleman Black Cat
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-07-2012
Rogue Musician

Thanks for the suggestions! All of the boat's shore power system is brand new, she previously only had DC power. I agree that the electric heaters scare me too. However, it looks like you still have to plug the oil heater in. Sorry if this sounds silly, but how are the two different in that department? What makes the oil heater safer if it is still part electric? (Originally from AZ, don't need many heaters there!) I do have some of the small propane heaters also.
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Old 11-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't use any 'unvented' propane heaters below.. danger of CO buildup.

Our electric fan heater has a 'tilt' switch and shuts off if it falls over, I think the biggest advantage of the oil heaters is that they are quieter.

Espars and the like are thirsty both for fuel and power.. so there's no 'free lunch' as they say. If you've shore power available I think a combo of a dehumidifier and a modest heater should work. (the dehu gives off some waste heat too)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-08-2012

amarinesurveyor is on a distinguished road

I lived aboard in Wash DC and Annapolis for three winters on an Ericson 30 (headliner with just an air space for insulation), and kept the boat comfortable with two 1500 watt forced air heaters. No condensation.
I think the key is keeping the air moving with hot air, when you heat the air it reduces the humidity. Radiant heaters don't reduce the humidity. Stay warm.
Brian
Old 11-08-2012
Rogue Musician

Winter Moisture Control

Thanks Brian. Did you ventilate then?
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Old 11-08-2012

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTardis View Post
However, it looks like you still have to plug the oil heater in. Sorry if this sounds silly, but how are the two different in that department? What makes the oil heater safer if it is still part electric? (Originally from AZ, don't need many heaters there!) I do have some of the small propane heaters also.
The oil heater s an electric heater with the heating elements inside an oil chamber. Ther is no fan on an oil heater. They get warm and air flows by convection. The other electric heaters have a fan that blows air over exposed electric elements that glow red hot.
TheTardis likes this.
Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinesurveyor View Post
.....when you heat the air it reduces the humidity.
That's not exactly correct. The higher the temperature of the air, the more moisture is can retain as humidity. Condensation occurs when the air is saturated with moisture and can't hold any more. Heat the air and it can hold more water, but its still there.

Its super cold air that can't hold much humidity.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-08-2012

amarinesurveyor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That's not exactly correct. The higher the temperature of the air, the more moisture is can retain as humidity. Condensation occurs when the air is saturated with moisture and can't hold any more. Heat the air and it can hold more water, but its still there.

Its super cold air that can't hold much humidity.
OK, so maybe I should have said...lowers the relative humidity? The point I was trying to make is that CIRCULATING warm air and heating the inside surfaces seemed to reduce or eliminate condensation for me, and I never found the need to ventilate. Everybody has their own opinion or experience in this matter, some maybe haven't even tried to live aboard in winter, who knows. I was just offering my experience of what worked for me.
Minnewaska, your post is not trying to help them solve the problem of staying warm and dry. Why not offer some helpful advice?
Brian
Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinesurveyor View Post
OK, so maybe I should have said...lowers the relative humidity? The point I was trying to make is that CIRCULATING warm air and heating the inside surfaces seemed to reduce or eliminate condensation for me.......
Agreed, if you actually get the surfaces warm. It's when moist warm air meets cool surfaces that the air next to that surface will lower to the dew point and you get condensation.

Quote:
Minnewaska, your post is not trying to help them solve the problem of staying warm and dry. Why not offer some helpful advice?
Brian
See post 38

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.