SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Winter Moisture Control (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/93618-winter-moisture-control.html)

TheTardis 10-30-2012 05:25 PM

Winter Moisture Control

I'm transitioning to livingaboard my boat come April, however, I'm trying to troubleshoot as many problems as I can before I move on. Since the winter is coming to the Mid-Atlantic soon, my major concern at the moment is moisture and condensation. I know all about dew point and all that fun stuff, but what I would really like to know is: What are the most effective ways you all have found to help control moisture aboard? Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome!

Tanley 10-30-2012 06:32 PM

Re: Winter Moisture Control

Let me google that for you

barefootnavigator 10-30-2012 06:38 PM

Its all about ventilation, I live aboard year round in Northern Washington with a dog that is usually soaking wet from the constant rain, so condensation and moisture is my bunk mate. The better the ventilation the warmer and dryer you will be. Try the small electric oil heaters also.

wingNwing 10-30-2012 08:21 PM

*"HyperVent" from Defender, or equivalent, under bunks and settee cushions.

*If you're on shore power, a home-size dehumidifier from Home Depot or Lowe's, plumbed to drain directly to the bilge.

*Reflectix (silver bubble wrap stuff) lining the worst offender lockers

*Wipe cabin top and other mold-prone surfaces with a mix of white vinegar and water. We've heard good reports of tea-tree oil, gonna try that this winter as well.

*Tempting as it is to make soup or pasta for dinner every night, be conscious of meals that put excess moisture into the cabin. Or use pressure cooker.

*Rum! (Doesn't help the humidity but helps you keep it in perspective)

barefootnavigator 10-30-2012 08:30 PM

Great suggestions, one note, HyperVent wont work under cushions if they are not water resistant, I use something like it to line my hull and keep condensation off locker contents, all the moisture drains into bilge, cans stored up to 6 months still show no signs of moisture.

BubbleheadMd 10-30-2012 08:49 PM

Ugh, when Sandy roared through I got absolutely whacked with condensation. The worst I've experienced so far.

I already had Hypervent under my cushions, and I've been running the electric, oil-filled heater. I ran out and bought the foil-backed insulation today, and I've already cut panels for the windows, hatches and the gaping maw of an anchor chain locker that is wide-open to the V-berth.

I need to build a wooden hatch cover for the anchor chain locker, and then put the insulation panel on top of that.

I fear that the only real way I'm going to get control of this situation is a dehumidifier. I really don't want another electrical load, another appliance to trip over... sigh.

One of those dry, autumn days would sure help dry out the boat after this storm.:rolleyes:

flyingriki 10-30-2012 11:50 PM

Am getting back into boating and remember that the material used to make Hypervent is actually a common material used somewhere else - maybe construction, for a hell of a lot less money. Does anyone recall where to find it outside the marine world?

TheTardis 10-31-2012 12:36 AM

Thanks all for the advise! I'm glad I get a chance to "test run" a winter before moving on. It gives me some chance for trial and error. Nice to hear from people in the region!
Bubblehead, I have been putting up the reflectix all over the boat... hope it really does work. I also have a large opening where my anchor chain is, bungied a piece of tarp over it for Sandy, worked ok. Need to get a new cap for it. I figure, after going through Sandy I should have a good baseline for the worst that will happen.
Wing, rum makes everything better! Let me know how the teatree oil does! Smells better than vinegar!

TheTardis 10-31-2012 12:48 AM

Barefoot - Looks like our boats are of similar size, what type of heater do you use? Also, it will just be me and my dog so ventilation is a must!

BubbleheadMd 10-31-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTardis (Post 940808)
Thanks all for the advise! I'm glad I get a chance to "test run" a winter before moving on. It gives me some chance for trial and error. Nice to hear from people in the region!
Bubblehead, I have been putting up the reflectix all over the boat... hope it really does work. I also have a large opening where my anchor chain is, bungied a piece of tarp over it for Sandy, worked ok. Need to get a new cap for it. I figure, after going through Sandy I should have a good baseline for the worst that will happen.
Wing, rum makes everything better! Let me know how the teatree oil does! Smells better than vinegar!

The good news is, after a single night of having insulation installed and running the heater at full throttle, the boat is now DRY. The window frames have stopped sweating and my clothing is all dry. I still have two long panels to cut and install on the bulkheads in the v-berth, but that's all.

I'm mightily impressed.