Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Medicine at Sea advice

As an EMT, you will take for granted a lot of stuff that the layman won't comprehend. That's why I encourage you to keep it simple. First aid for daysailing, coastal cruising, and offshore becomes increasingly complex and trying to teach your audience too much will just lose them.
All of the advice above is good, but you've got to limit your discussion- maybe just a review of basic first aid kit essentials, recommending a good book and/or course, and how to summon emergency help- that would cover an hour presentation in itself.
Also, please don't take my lead-in to my first post as a "shut-out" to discussion or dissent. I just have had enough experience to know what you can and can't do out on the water. Even if you know what you're doing, dealing with emergencies on a boat are different from dealing with them in an emergency room with a million $ of drugs and equipment at your disposal, or even on shore where you can at least depend on a stable platform, electricity, heat and light, clean water, and access to supplies.

Last edited by msmith10; 10-31-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
.....While I don't want to be too cynical, a patient requiring CPR out-of-range of ground transportation (out of the marina) has virtually a 0% chance of survival....
I agree for most cardiac events. However, a cold water drowning could be resuscitated with success. Not all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-31-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

You're right, Minne. That's a special case and one reason I think they still need to emphasize mouth-to-mouth as part of CPR. In a primary respiratory event, doing CPR without respirations is not really helpful. Anyone around water needs to practice the respiratory portion of CPR as well as compression.
The hard part of CPR offshore, or even coastal, is knowing when to stop, and not feeling guilty for not being able to continue when continuing is futile.
Old 10-31-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

I've always said (and felt) that it's the simple things that are more likely to become a problem. Infection from a fish hook, a deep gash from a blow to the head (boom, flogging sail, etc.) a cut from a knife, concussion, etc.

Emphasize the need to THOROUGHLY clean a wound. Should have on board sterile saline solution, squirt bottle and some Betadine. Flush the hell out of the wound and treat w/ Neosporin or its equivalent.

Years ago I saw a presentation about injuries at sea and read the handbook. The most common instruction was SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION. Yeah, right.

And as an aside, and basic seamanship, I would say that "situational awareness" is very important for anyone that's going to be far from a safe harbor. Basically, where the hell are you and where would you go RIGHT NOW if you had to seek a port?
msmith10 likes this.
Old 09-11-2013

emt281101 is on a distinguished road

msmith10,

About a year ago, I posted on this forum asking about doing a presentation about medical emergencies at sea. You said that you had a few presentations which I could borrow for reference. If you still have them, is there any way that I could have a peek? Perhaps you could email them to me at captcore@gmail.com. Obviously, I will not use your presentations in any way without your written permission.

Thanks

Capt. Corey
Old 09-23-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Would it be appropriate to have a part of the discussion about forms of help that are available, i.e. communications with medical people ashore?
Old 09-23-2013
s/v Paragon

momoparagon is on a distinguished road

I noticed someone mentioned this earlier, but I would strongly recommend talking about seasickness as well. As someone who suffers from this, sometimes in a quite debilitating way, prevention and treatment is always on my mind.

Quite a few people have recommended different oral medications, Stugeron being the forerunner, but when I'm vomiting it can be impossible to keep pills in my stomach.

Recently I've discovered the Scopolamine Patches which have worked better than most things I've tried. I put the patch behind my ear the night before we leave and don't even have to think about it for three days. I've also found that, outside of the U.S., they can be purchased over the counter in most drug or grocery stores.

I realize quite a bit of time has passed since your first post, but I was wondering if you filmed the presentation and put it up on a website or YouTube. If so, I would love to check that out!

Thanks so much!
Monique
s/v Paragon