Relocating to SoCal to liveaboard - have a catch 22... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Relocating to SoCal to liveaboard - have a catch 22...

Zeehag has it right, especially regarding Long Beach. Long Beach will allow you to transfer a slip, but only for six months. You get to go on a waiting list and you have to hope your name comes up within that six month window. If it doesn't, you are expected to move your vessel out. During that time you can't do a liveaboard either. With Long Beach, you have to be in the slip, and then you can go on the liveaboard waiting list.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Most of you won't believe this, but Ensenada feels a LOT safer than most of socal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Has anybody ever tried bribing a marina manager? I wonder if $500.00 or so might make him accidentally drop the stack of applications and accidentally pile yours on top accidentally...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2012

Wcoast sailor is on a distinguished road

There are lots of slips available in San Diego for over 34'. I have a 30' Catalina and it is in a 34' slip as there a lot of 34 and over available. Live aboard ones aren't as plentiful. Like others are advising call the marinas and get on a list. I don't have the web sit available in front of me but there is one that lists ALL the marinas in the San Diego area, including Mission Bay. Good luck in your endeavor.

Last edited by Wcoast sailor; 11-16-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
Speaking of Wilmington . . . San Pedro ...look up a marina called Newmarks . . . not 4 stars but more of a "liberal" attitude . . .
Mike,

You know of Newmark's? That's where we have our slip, and I agree that they tend to tolerate more than others might. We've been there for over a year now, and we really enjoy the rustic atmosphere. If I were a betting man, I would bet that there are at least a few down there that keep a low profile because they might stay a bit more than the three days a week they are allotted. I'll never tell. What I can tell, is that we have not met anyone that is not really nice. Most everyone watches out for you and your boat. If you're working on something, someone will always stop by for a chat and to offer help/advice.

This is our third marina. We started at Dana Point and liked it there, but when they did not have a slip for our latest boat, we had to look elsewhere. We're glad we did and would not go back to marinas where the people frown on a sailor working on his own boat.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 11-20-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

You mentioned that your range included Ventura. Check Ventura West Marina, it's pretty fair sized (~250 slips) and has a 50% liveaboard cap. I have no idea if they currently have slips big enough. The drive time from their to Chapman wouldn't be any worse than the San Diego option (depending on traffic, as ALWAYS in SoCal). I've been in VWM for 6 months, it's VERY nice!
Old 11-20-2012

larrybme is on a distinguished road

Quite possibly a slip for a boat over 40ft does have a bit of a waiting list. I am looking for a boat in the 36ft range. With the exception of Shoreline Marina in Long Beach, Dana Point and Oceanside, there are seems to be slips readily available everywhere with no waiting for liveaboard status. Plenty in the Wilmington/San Pedro area. Let us know how your search for a slip in the over 40' range is working out for you.
Old 11-23-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

My only advice is that if you are looking for a slip in California avoid any marina run by Almar. They are genuinely horrible people.
shadowraiths likes this.
Old 11-27-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

There is a ton of posts on craigslist by marinas in the san pedro / long beach area for 50ft-100ft slips available. When they rely on craigslist is when they show how desperate they are. I think time is on your side, being winter now and poor economy still.
Old 12-05-2012

Juliennecoyle is on a distinguished road

California is full of hoops to jump through at every turn. Boat has to be the right size (usually at least 35ft), there are wait lists, arbitrary decisions by marina masters, most say no pets, 2 person max. This has made living aboard legitimately very difficult for us on a 30 foot boat with two little ones. Good luck to you. Well worth it once you jump through all the hoops and find your place.

Tags
california , liveaboard , marinas