SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Wake up! you in the boat,wake up!!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/93918-wake-up-you-boat-wake-up.html)

2belize&back 11-08-2012 03:33 PM

Wake up! you in the boat,wake up!!!

my gulf coast trip began with adventure.a "cold front"(in texas ?) was pushing the boat along galviston bay in 30+ north winds.(noaa:"very rough"). i was hunkerd down with a good grip on the tiller,studying the wave effect of following seas on the (new to me) '72 catalina '22.with only the storm jib flying,i was makeing 8 knots.made the turn onto the icw westbound & decided 2 drop the hook on the leeward edge of the channel,thinking i would be out of the way.while "catch 22" rock & rolled,i beered,listened 2 talk radio,dined,then hit the v~berth for a snooze.at 3 am i heard voices from above ("^^^").i crawled out out into the cockpit..."get a knife!" i look up,& see 2 guys,..."now cut that line...start your moter...now push off the barge!!!" I motored away into the darkness realizeing that the wind had made them drift out of the channel, snaged my rode,& that they had caught "catch 22".down one anchor.bummer... 2 b con...

msmith10 11-08-2012 03:58 PM

Re: Wake up! you in the boat,wake up!!!

And they cut your anchor rode and took off?

2belize&back 11-08-2012 04:20 PM

no i cut it,and we parted.

mdbee 11-08-2012 11:01 PM

I'm not clear on all your details but tugs routinely run their barges into the leeward side of the channel when wanting to stop. The wind helps them to get back into the channel when they are ready to move on.

chucklesR 11-09-2012 08:55 AM

While I'm sure this is a compelling story I have to ask you to please use some punctuation so we can actually follow it. Text phone style writing just doesn't cut it for me.
Sorry, and feel free to blast away, I don't care.

denverd0n 11-09-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 945866)
Text phone style writing just doesn't cut it for me.
Sorry, and feel free to blast away, I don't care.

I agree. It makes it more effort than it is worth.

2belize&back 11-09-2012 10:45 PM

Rodger.will conform.thank you for the input.

hellosailor 11-10-2012 07:18 PM

"the leeward edge of the channel" means nothing.

Either you were IN the channel or OUT of the channel. If you anchored IN the channel, that's illegal in any mapped and charted channel. If you were OUT of the channel but so close to it that you could expect shipping to run right past you, that's plain suicidal but not illegal.

Sounds like if all you lost was an anchor, you were lucky.

deltaten 11-10-2012 07:53 PM

A fairy tale begins with;
"once upon a time.."

A sea story begins;
"No sh!t ! There was this time in port'o'call....."

The juxtaposition of the two?? I dunno. Keep trying, Belize...you'll get there. Flesh it out some. Write it so's I'll feel the mist and taste the salt air.

Pirates and channels and barges, Oh my! I luv me a good yarn. I find suspension of disbelief to be refreshing.... refreshing, indeed.
:D