Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road
Good east coast retirement cities?

Wife and I are looking to retire and get out of upstate NY. I need to buy a house somewhere between central Maine and the Carolinas that's a good retirement town and where I can put a mooring for my sailboat, and minimize dependence on marinas.
I know that's a pretty wide area. But it's so big that it's hard to know where to start, short of throwing a dart at a map. There are a bizzilion "10 best cities to retire" pages in the internet--seems you can find any city in the US in one of them.
Does anyone know of a city/town/community they'd want to recommend for retirement with a cruising sailboat in the family?
PS--Want an upstate NY farm? I'll throw in a show shovel.
Thanks for any help.
John V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Good east coast retirement cities?

Oriental, NC if you like sailing and a small community
jrd22 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-11-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Lot depends on what you want in the town. And then how you want to use the boat. Another option is a house with a slip.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-11-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

When you get towards New England, just throwing a mooring out there might not be an option, even if you have waterfront property. Many harbors have long waiting lists for mooring permits.

I waited 10 years for a mooring in Noank, CT. I've been on the list for Stonington, CT for 10 years and it's looking like I might not make it to the top in this lifetime.
Old 11-11-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Another thing you might want to think about ... there are many "retirement guides" about various states/regions of the country that furnish things like taxes, cost of living, etc. You might want to start there, since you'll be land based, then start looking for places within those areas that fit your boating needs.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-11-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
When you get towards New England, just throwing a mooring out there might not be an option, even if you have waterfront property. Many harbors have long waiting lists for mooring permits.

I waited 10 years for a mooring in Noank, CT. I've been on the list for Stonington, CT for 10 years and it's looking like I might not make it to the top in this lifetime.
I don't think that's the case in Maine. Pretty sure you can get a mooring in Portland right away. Houses in some communities around there, like Falmouth, give you waterfront access, which I'm pretty sure gives you the right to install a mooring.

The only drawback to Maine might be that the sailing season is a little short, although if you have your own mooring you could probably stretch it beyond what the marinas offer.
Old 11-12-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

A farmer from NY ? Go south!!! Where its warm!!!
Old 11-12-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

I'd say Palm Coast in Florida. No income tax, cheap housing, and while you cant just plop a mooring, anchoring out in Florida cannot be restricted outside of designated mooring fields.
Old 11-12-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

If your interest is sailing, I would certainly recommend you look in NC or SC, where the cost of living is much less, and you you can use your boat all year. In New England, your boat will spend six months sitting covered in a marina. Now that six month period can still be a happy period if you like to ski as much as you like to sail...but otherwise, as a lifelong New England sailor (and skier), I'd say go south.
njadventure likes this.
Old 11-12-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the replies. I'm tempted by the warm weather in the south, but even coastal Maine will be milder than what I'm used to.
What I really want (besides the usual concerns like available health care, low crime, taxes, etc) is a locality where I can put my own mooring in. It seems some NE towns, as mentioned above, have long waiting lists while others don't.
Do people commonly own their own moorings in harbors in the Carolinas and Florida?
John V

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.