Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Induction vs electric vs alcohol stove?

Your boat could be getting to customized and you may not be adaptable, Why LED'S if your at the dock? Or maybe a cottage at the lake? My boats about freedom,something hard to find around the world...Dale
Where God got it done!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

A good deep cycle golf cart battery has a capacity of 6v * 220ah = 1320 w/h. That is to full drain, but the common wisdom is not to drain these batteries more than half way. So using your induction stove for one hour will require two batteries that weigh around 60-70lbs each. This is the whole house bank on a typical small cruising sailboat.

Your Origo alcohol stove will run for many many hours on one gallon of fuel. It is very safe to use as well (much safer than pressurized alcohol stoves) and is pretty efficient. I can't see any reason to have an electric stove on a sailboat.

In transient slips around here shore power usually costs $3/day. That will buy you a new gallon of fuel for your alcohol stove every 3 days. So it's also cheaper.

I personally don't really get the desire to use high power devices on sailboats. I hate dealing with the shore power cable and see it as a necessary evil to keep a dehumidifier running in the winter. I look forward to summer and not needing to hook up my shore power anymore.
Old 12-17-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
..... I can't see any reason to have an electric stove on a sailboat.

In transient slips around here shore power usually costs $3/day. That will buy you a new gallon of fuel for your alcohol stove every 3 days. So it's also cheaper.

I personally don't really get the desire to use high power devices on sailboats. I hate dealing with the shore power cable and see it as a necessary evil to keep a dehumidifier running in the winter. I look forward to summer and not needing to hook up my shore power anymore.
I'm with you there, Mr W!!.. completely don't get setting yourself up to rely on electricity to make even a cup of coffee. Origo/alchohol if you must, or a proper propane installation makes more sense.. even for powerboats, IMO.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-17-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
A good deep cycle golf cart battery has a capacity of 6v * 220ah = 1320 w/h. That is to full drain, but the common wisdom is not to drain these batteries more than half way. So using your induction stove for one hour will require two batteries that weigh around 60-70lbs each. This is the whole house bank on a typical small cruising sailboat.

Your Origo alcohol stove will run for many many hours on one gallon of fuel. It is very safe to use as well (much safer than pressurized alcohol stoves) and is pretty efficient. I can't see any reason to have an electric stove on a sailboat.

Alex... all good points... but my electrical knowledge would tell me my deep cycle battery is 12v @ 480 amp/hr = 5760 w/hr... certainly enough to cover a good weeks worth of the induction stove use since it is the most efficient of all electrical stoves... second I only use it while on the dock... again very efficient, third I thought I mentioned the 2000 watt Honda generator.... surely that is 10 plus hours on little over 1 gallon... more electrical needs than I need for weeks of the induction ovens use... maybe you need to read up on it... sure it might seem like it's 1500 watts but that is 1500/hr and the stove only uses less than 5-10 minutes total per 'on' time so that is 1500/6= 250/hr use of electrical watts used per 10 minutes time... very efficient... 4 minutes or less to boil a pan of water... then while offshore I have a propane stove I 'might' use on occasion... rarely would I even cook during a day or two sail... I would just make prepared food or quick meals... did I mention I also have a 700 watt microwave and it works perfectly fine also while on shore power and offshore too? I think anything flammable is not going to be inside this boat and only gasoline to power the outboard and generator will be in the cockpit in it's appropriate vented location.
Old 12-18-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I went for a 4-burner electric cooktop and oven on the new "Zanshin" so that there would be no propane inside the boat (I have a propane aft for the BBQ, and as a reserve cooking mechanism). The system works incredibly well, I turn on the inverter for the hobs, have instant hot plates or oven, then finish off with a cool kitchen a couple of minutes later.
I was skeptical about electric cooking aboard before I went this way and now I'm happy I chose it.
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2012
always busy with sailing

480 ah 12 v is a huge battery, I assume that is a battery bank made of four individual batteries. I was giving the capacity of an individual battery, not a full bank.

It sounds like your mind is already made up. If you like the idea of an electric stove than just install one.

We all have different approaches to how we sail and what we want to carry aboard. I have no desire to carry 350lbs of batteries or a generator so it would never occur to me to use an electric stove on a sailboat. I enjoy cooking so my stove gets regular use. As a result an electric stove would never make sense for me. It sounds like you have a different set of priorities and objectives.

Your model for fuel/electric use of the stove is overly simple. Boiling 2 gallons of water to make crabs will use twice the power (or stove time) as boiling a gallon of water to make pasta. Making brown rice will take more power than making instant oats just due to the longer simmer time and convective heat losses. If you only boil 1 liter of water at a time then you can make a simple model like one stove use is 10 minutes of full on time. However for your very limited use of the stove it sounds like you'll be fine.
Old 12-18-2012

Yes mind and galley is already made up... stoves (2) are in both won't be used at the same time although they can as long as the total wattage does not exceed over 2500 watts... they are working great and haven't had a glitch... they cook as described, don't need special pots as many have said, there is a metal cook surface you put on top of the stove if you have non metal pots but I have special pots to use on the stoves... the batteries are 12v 8D batteries and I have two of them and they only total 200 lbs... plus only one is used for the cooktop use the other is used for general use on the boat to run electronics, lights, etc... I'm planing on installing a flexible solar panel I have that is used in the roofing industry and is blue in color that will be on top of the cockpit dodger I will be getting made... two of these solar panels are all I think I need to keep these batteries in tip top shape... this will be of course after the sailboat is brought back to Savannah, GA. where we get a little more sun.
Old 12-18-2012
always busy with sailing

Why ask what others thing about stove options if you've already made up your mind? You could have just presented this as a "here is my project" type of thread.

The 8D deep cell batteries that I've seen weigh 150lbs each, so my estimate was a little off, but not a lot.

I'm curious about the solar panel fabric that you are using. Do you have more information on it, specifically the watts generated per square meter or other useful metrics?
T37Chef likes this.
Old 12-18-2012

I asked about the magnetic interference of the induction stove elements against the compass and other electronic equipment... no one answered and I did some basic tests to see if I got interference and I didn't so I installed the stoves... will need to go out further and do some tests though... the solar cells are Dow's solar roof shingles... the ones I have are the earlier versions without the glass inbedded and they are fully flexible like a hard fabric... they are 18 inches wide and 8 feet long... they have 8 solar cells in each panel, each solar cell produces 12 volts @ 18 watts so 8 panels produces 144 watts... I have two of these panels on hand. The new DOW panels are single panels and have a more rigid glass surface but are still flexible and need to be nailed/screwed onto a rigid panel... see here:

www DOT dowpowerhouse DOT com/why-powerhouse/index.htm

So if I get the dodger made to accomodate the 2 solar panels I should have 288 watts/hr going to my solar controller and into my 2 batteries... hopefully.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 12-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
So if I get the dodger mage to accomodate the 2 solar panels I should have 288 watts/hr going to my solar controller and into my 2 batteries... hopefully.
So how many watts do you have to reserve for your electric guitar