Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Induction vs electric vs alcohol stove?

Quote:
So how many watts do you have to reserve for your electric guitar
An acoustic guitar needs no electrical watts since they were invented some 300 years ago?
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I could see using an induction Hot plate when at dockside for convenience. But not as a main cooking source unless I had a nice big boat like Zanshin, I assume he has a onboard generator to charge his batteries. No way would I want to go to the trouble of hooking up a portable generator to be able to cook, if my batteries were low. Two eight foot long solar panels? Where? Why not minimize your electrical demand if you want to go solar?

My only issue with alcohol stoves is that they give me a headache, so I am stuck with propane. Of course I like to cook, so I really like to cook over a flame, not electric. Can't stand cooking on Electric.
Old 12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I could see using an induction Hot plate when at dockside for convenience. But not as a main cooking source unless I had a nice big boat like Zanshin, I assume he has a onboard generator to charge his batteries. No way would I want to go to the trouble of hooking up a portable generator to be able to cook, if my batteries were low. Two eight foot long solar panels? Where? Why not minimize your electrical demand if you want to go solar?

My only issue with alcohol stoves is that they give me a headache, so I am stuck with propane. Of course I like to cook, so I really like to cook over a flame, not electric. Can't stand cooking on Electric.
Don't understand the difficulty in what I've done and why one version is better than the other unless one has tried it... it works perfectly for me... the boat is not an ocean going vessel, not going to Hawaii or New Zealand with it... coasting up and down the Puget Sound area in close vicinity of less than 20 mile or less radius, maybe go to Anacortes, San Juans, Port Townsend, etc.... so not much cooking going on there... mostly the stoves are for use during moorage or while in the slip... don't see what the negative reaction is... it's the same reaction when a computer is given to a senior citizen... at first it's 'why do I need that electronic junk, I can read a newspaper or book'... but seniors are embrazing the digital age slowly... after all you're on this forum on a computer on the internet... 'ya ain't reading this on a book are ya?'. Any fuel used whether it's kerosene, propane, alcohol, butane, even wood is full of it's own dangers both to health (carbon monoxide, inhaling soot, smoke, etc.) and fire danger (open flames, oil spitting/falling onto open flames, etc.) to the boat (many flamable objects in close proximity to the stove like seat cushions, etc.)... why use it, why risk it? To each his own... I've chosen mine...

Regarding the solar panels... Yes... 8 feet long 18 inches wide and as flexible as a 1/8th inch plastic panels... in fact I have it rolled up as we speak in a coil that is only 12 inches diameter stored for use... they work fantastic... so when I get ready to get my dodger made they'll be incorporated on top of the dodger getting all that glorious sun in Georgia/Florida...

Last edited by guitarguy56; 12-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2012

inprin is on a distinguished road

If you haven't already gotten rid of your origo and it is in good condition Iwould be interested. Email to iprince at roushfenway dot com
Old 12-22-2012

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

Does your induction cooktop work with your inverter?

Any storm in a port...
Old 12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob142 View Post
Does your induction cooktop work with your inverter?
Bob... the induction cooktop is running on the slip power and with a switch to convert to inverter power from the batteries.... it is very efficient (98% efficient compared to any other form of cooking)...

Inprin... the old Origo stove was tossed in the garbage... not useful when it was replaced with the induction stove... didn't want to buy replacement parts for it... the induction stove is very cool to work on and clean... nothing like it... may even replace the electric stove at home for an induction cooktop surface!
Old 12-22-2012

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

I have been cooking with induction at home, work and on the boat on shore power for a couple of years...but when I plug in to my inverter it doesn't work...it is a 1750 inverter so I am going to try a 3000...

Any storm in a port...
Old 01-31-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

This may sound like a chop shop type idea that others poo poo in other threads, but how about those ultralight hiking stoves that use pressurized white gas (and can also burn diesel, gasoline, kerosene, and rum)? It's super light, lights like a rocket engine and is rather self contained.... someone tell me it's a bad idea...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcar View Post
This may sound like a chop shop type idea that others poo poo in other threads, but how about those ultralight hiking stoves that use pressurized white gas (and can also burn diesel, gasoline, kerosene, and rum)? It's super light, lights like a rocket engine and is rather self contained.... someone tell me it's a bad idea...
The only thing I don't like about these on a boat is that they can really only be used when the boat is steady, and they are best in a quiet little cove at anchor.

Please support my
Old 01-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcar View Post
They throw up high flames when they are priming, flames that are likely to catch curtains over your stove area on fire.

White gas is highly refined gasoline, and not something that I want to carry a lot of on my boat, especially inside the cabin.

Alcohol stoves (like the Origo) are a lot simpler, effective, and safer.