LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Re: rammed:by the customs & border patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseDiamond View Post
Great link, thanks.

But they are the only agency that can do that.................?

My understanding is that other agencies (maybe not DEA but I think they too) need a warrant. Sheriff, city police, fish and game etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Can you imagine, as part of your job, you have to enter a strangers boat? As time passes, you learn that many of those strangers actually have something to hide. Most are probably lack of PFDs, but you'll find contraband, etc, in your career. Can you imagine getting up in the morning and wondering if today will be the day that one of those boarding results in the crew firing shots? Will it appear more likely from the crew that is mouthing off and angry?

We can debate whether they should have the authority to do so, but the boarding officers are doing what they are told, not what they decided on a whim. How much would you need to be paid to risk your life at your job? Pretty brave in my book.
Brewgyver and Grunthrie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-21-2012

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

many of those strangers actually have something to hide. Please cite your source number of boardings and percentages of contraband found.

Pretty brave in my book. Lets see what an average boarding party carries as far as weapons at the ready. Not forgetting to include the yahoo in the bow with a machine gun pointed at the "suspects" Now lets see what the "suspects" are packing...... Brave my arse...... Coast Guard aren't victims, they choose their job as do any other law enforcement groups. If they want to board I doubt anyone is gonna stop them.......ever......Although I would love to see them board a foreign trawler in the Aleutian region. Naw...that is not gonna happen.....lol Since I am a citizen of the US and somewhere there is this document saying that they do not have the right...then yea...I will say something.......
Brent Swain and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 11-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Do I really need to go find a citing that the USCG finds contraband? That's just stubborn.

I have a good friend whose daughter is currently applying to the Coast Guard academy. I'm sure, in her career, she will be asked to do boardings. I am also absolutely certain that this lovely young lady, who is a great student and loves the water, has no intent to be the bully she will be characterized as by the stubborn. She will have to do her job.

Also, before one throws a stone at the bravery of someone who enters a room, without knowing what or who is waiting for them, I would like to know they've had the ball$ to try it. Armed or not.

Consider this. Over your entire career, there is going to be just one single day that you are going to walk into your cozy office and there is going to be someone in there with a gun that knows he needs to get past you to stay out of jail. Just one day and you don't know which it will be. You keeping the job? You can take a gun with you, if you think it changes anything.
chef2sail and Brewgyver like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-21-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Do I really need to go find a citing that the USCG finds contraband? That's just stubborn.

I have a good friend whose daughter is currently applying to the Coast Guard academy. I'm sure, in her career, she will be asked to do boardings. I am also absolutely certain that this lovely young lady, who is a great student and loves the water, has no intent to be the bully she will be characterized as by the stubborn. She will have to do her job.

Also, before one throws a stone at the bravery of someone who enters a room, without knowing what or who is waiting for them, I would like to know they've had the ball$ to try it. Armed or not.

Consider this. Over your entire career, there is going to be just one single day that you are going to walk into your cozy office and there is going to be someone in there with a gun that knows he needs to get past you to stay out of jail. Just one day and you don't know which it will be. You keeping the job? You can take a gun with you, if you think it changes anything.
The poor girl, My heart goes out to her. Just out of curiosity, where did she grow up and what do you think prompted her interest in the Coast Guard? I've been doing a personal survey/ research. I alway's ask Coasties where they are from and why they joined. They alway's join with the best of intensions and usually they end up disapointed with how it actually is.
I'd like to know how many coast gaurdsman have died at the hands of an agressor in the situation of a boarding. I'm betting close to none. They do fall in the line of Rescue which is the highest form of selfless sacrifice and should be honored to the highest degree. The boarding crew's are a different troup than the Rescue. The rescue crew's are like the elite or special force. We've all seen the swimmer movie with Kevin and Ashton. We need a Coast Guard, no doubt, and their boarding procedures, once you've gone through them, are mild. They don't bully or intimidate. When off shore it's almost commical the green faced, wide eyed kid's they send over in the orange dinghy, It is usually me showing them some compassion because they usually want to be there even less than I want them. They're just doing what they are told. In some cases I know more about what's going on than they do, it's seem's like most boardings I've been through are some sort of training excersize.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-21-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did she grow up and what do you think prompted her interest in the Coast Guard.
She grew up on the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario. Can't speak to her motivation.

Quote:
.....they usually want to be there even less than I want them. They're just doing what they are told.....
That's my point for sure.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 11-21-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: brave

Brave is sailing a Cat 22 to Belize. Alone. Man that does take some cuhones. I'd like to hear the tale for sure, with pictures.
H3LlIoN likes this.
Old 11-21-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

That's my point for sure.[/QUOTE]

And she accepts the risks without question.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 11-21-2012

patrickbryant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscooter View Post
many of those strangers actually have something to hide. Please cite your source number of boardings and percentages of contraband found.
I realize you are just saying: "show me your facts and numbers" but, you are demanding that posters here become accountants and statisticians. If you really want exact numbers, I suggest you file a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Coast Guard - which any US citizen has the right to do - and once you obtain those numbers, come back here to refute any inaccurate statements.

Demanding those exact numbers up front, when honest people are exercising common sense and expressing those facts in good faith, is unreasonable. We can't possibly carry on a dialog if we need every number down to the penny before we express an opinion.
Minnewaska and Brewgyver like this.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-21-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added link to to USCG FOIA page
Old 11-24-2012
Banned

cherev is on a distinguished road

"We can debate whether they should have the authority to do so, but the boarding officers are doing what they are told, not what they decided on a whim. How much would you need to be paid to risk your life at your job? Pretty brave in my book."

There's no 'debate'; USCG boarding a vessel, moored or in motion, while wielding M-16s is an armed home invasion if you live aboard. If there's no probable cause, they've committed a criminal act. No bravery involved when an elderly sailing couple is sitting in their cockpit and wondering what the heck is going on.

If you don't set out to daily harass and molest passersby, then no risk is incurred.

As for "doing what they're told", isn't that the 'defense' made at Nuremberg by some Nazis?

No, the USA is in a very bad way, for it's evident that the Soviets and Nazis actually won the war, ideologically and practically, and those lives expended in the "defense of freedom" were ultimately wasted. Red Dawn is thus become a documentary, with daily episodes videoed by police dashboard and intersection surveillance cameras. Except the children must shoot each other.

Last edited by cherev; 11-24-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.