Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: rammed:by the customs & border patrol

The single handling dude is more suspect, especially right on the border, like the Marquesas, where the border patrol, DEA, coast Guard, marine patrol, sheriff and Home Land all have boat's and are on constant patrol. Same for South Texas. A single dude on a small barebones boat is more likely to have what they are looking for than a family on a nice Catalina. Come to think of it, it's a good cover Brian, I know a guy in Mexico if you need a little extra W.A.M. ( WALKING AROUND MONEY) wink wink just kidding......but it's true....not really....well.............no I don't know any one.
Old 11-16-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road

well,you can "belize" it or not.it's a free country.i sailed for adventure,and i found it.for solitude & found,for nature and to get better at sailing.check.to chuckles:ie. "complaining"? i said in post, "i did not mind it at all". to bljo; ie "boarded 11 times"? i said "11 encounters" in fact,i was boarded 3 times.twice by the b&c and once by the cg.the cg was a welfare check and to make sure i had a noise making device,pfd & throw cushion.ie. to "atracting attention". i think that one is not used to seeing a 22' cruiser.also having a swing keel & kick up rudder,allows one to go into areas that a fixed keel cruiser can not. to cruisedad; i can't disagree on the "crazy" coment.i left tampa on a whim.i was getting tired of the icw, and had not got the big adventure yet.hence,belize."i think i can make it,let's go for it!'...oh,and so you don't extrapolate anymore out of my quotes, the "let's" means me, myself, and i, and the boat. untill the next thread...i've got a 2 maybe 3 more. ...2 b ...
Chkm8 and Grunthrie like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2belize&back View Post
well,you can "belize" it or not.it's a free country.i sailed for adventure,and i found it.for solitude & found,for nature and to get better at sailing.check.to chuckles:ie. "complaining"? i said in post, "i did not mind it at all". to bljo; ie "boarded 11 times"? i said "11 encounters" in fact,i was boarded 3 times.twice by the b&c and once by the cg.the cg was a welfare check and to make sure i had a noise making device,pfd & throw cushion.ie. to "atracting attention". i think that one is not used to seeing a 22' cruiser.also having a swing keel & kick up rudder,allows one to go into areas that a fixed keel cruiser can not. to cruisedad; i can't disagree on the "crazy" coment.i left tampa on a whim.i was getting tired of the icw, and had not got the big adventure yet.hence,belize."i think i can make it,let's go for it!'...oh,and so you don't extrapolate anymore out of my quotes, the "let's" means me, myself, and i, and the boat. untill the next thread...i've got a 2 maybe 3 more. ...2 b ...
I Belize ya dude, I sailed a 28 foot centerboard sloop non-stop from Key Largo to Mexico and on down to Belize in 1990 when I was barley 20 years old. The Belize defense force boarded me, had a laugh and left, later they helped me un step and step my mast, and the U.S Coasties boarded me in the Harbour leaving Belize out by English Cay. Northern seasonal weekend sailors don't get it. Keep the stories coming man, I like 'em.
H3LlIoN likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-16-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

What I'd like to know is - what is your COAST guard doing patrolling & boarding even American boats in Belize and the Caymans?

Did the USA extend is economic zone a tad while we weren't looking?
larrytwo and Brent Swain like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-16-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

LOL. Nothing like a five year old to hasten a safety inspection. Trust me on this, best insurance to have if your flares are expired IMHO. We’ve been boarded four times in the past forty years. All by the USCG and all either motoring or motor sailing. On time we were following a StFYC sail boat when returning from the Delta. As he got close to the Carquinez Bridge he quickly hoisted his sails and we thought “that was odd, there’s no wind”. Sure enough the local bridge troll zoomed out from behind a bridge pier, drove past the StFYC boat and boarded us. My friends tell me that teenage daughters are a magnet for boardings.

The USCG can board an American boat anytime, anywhere. The US has treaties with the Caribbean nations for drug enforcement giving them the authority to board pretty much everyone down there. With everyone fearful about piracy and the drug wars in Central America, It’s kind of nice to know that the Coasties are at hand if you should need them.
Chkm8 likes this.
Old 11-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
What I'd like to know is - what is your COAST guard doing patrolling & boarding even American boats in Belize and the Caymans?

Did the USA extend is economic zone a tad while we weren't looking?
They're there, omnipresent. First thing you see when you sail in to Cartegenia is a U.S. Navy Destroyer anchored in the middle of the harbour and A Coastie Launch Hanging on it's Davits. In the regan and then Bush senior years, they would swab your cabin top with q tip to look for weed rezin, in case you were smoking a doobee (sp?) in side. Possession. We had t_shirts made up that said "U.S. coast guard.. one seed is all they need to make you bleed. They were cutting peoples boat's up with chain saw's back then.
chef2sail and Brent Swain like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road

sloop,once again, extrapolation.i did not say the us coast guard boarded me in belize.but, when i was inbetween cuba & the yuc penisula, a small (maybe 80' to 100') came from behind and went by very close.i thought for sure they were gonna check me out.
Old 11-16-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
My friends tell me that teenage daughters are a magnet for boardings.
The girls could do worse yes?
Old 11-16-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
i was getting tired of the icw, and had not got the big adventure yet.hence,belize."i think i can make it,let's go for it!'...
Screw the naysayers...you're my kind of guy 2B&B. I look forward to the next installment.
Capt.aaron and Brewgyver like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
sloop,once again, extrapolation.i did not say the us coast guard boarded me in belize.but, when i was inbetween cuba & the yuc penisula, a small (maybe 80' to 100') came from behind and went by very close.i thought for sure they were gonna check me out.
I dunno, I kind of figured that the COAST guard would do exactly that and your Navy would patrol beyond your coastal economic zone. I guess what you actually have is two Navies, junior & senior.

Call me naive.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.