Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012

yossarian is on a distinguished road
Re: rammed:by the customs & border patrol

Quote:
in both the u.s. And canada denying a search can be grounds enough for a search warrant, especially in vehicles.
Quote:
and in the 1970's some automotive search cases were held to be illegal in the us on the same grounds, then a few years later the ussc reversed itself when the states came up with the clever idea that your license was only issued if you consented to waive your rights. Which you legally can't be asked or required to do, either.
Quote:
hellosailor, could you cite that decision for us? Akaik, police still cannot search vehicles without permission unless the have a warrant.
Quote:
refusal of a request to search is indeed all the probable cause (when coupled to the reasons the officer wanted to do the search e.g. Shifty eyes, reefer smell, etc..) that is necessary for a warrant.
For the record - none of this is accurate.

1) There is an "automobile exception" to the fourth amendment's warrant requirement, but it is not an exception from the probable cause requirement. So the police may search a vehicle without a warrant, but not without probable cause. Some states (Vermont, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and others) have held that there is no automobile exception to the warrant requirement of their state constitution thus requiring a warrant for all automobile searches.

2) Denying a request to search does not constitute probable cause to search (or to get a search warrant) and does not factor into the probable cause analysis. It's a right you get to invoke without penalty.

3) The automobile exception doesn't come from implied waiver by consent, it comes from the exigency exception. The logic is that automobiles are inherently mobile and that any time the police want to search a car, there is a risk that the car will leave, so they need the right to search without a warrant (but with probable cause) in order to preserve whatever evidence is in the car.

/your friendly sailnet defense attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Writing in stream of conscious, gives me a little poetic freedom to puncuate the pauses of salty speak. I'll try to pay more attention in the future, so my point is not lost on the anal.CaptAaron
I second that emoticon
H3LlIoN likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-19-2012

Who cares if they search me or do a courtesy inspection....If they catch someone sneaking a dirty bomb in the US through it or 1 ton of cocaine its a small price to pay.

Note: I did not say carte blanche eliminatuion of the fourth amendment

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-19-2012

Azzarac is on a distinguished road

By "ill-clad honey" I have to assume you are reffering to the 1970's polyester green pant suits... Yeah, not on my boat buddy LOL! Since I've had my other boat topped out at 54 knots I'm going to straddle the fence on cherev's comment and propose that instead of pushing the troubles off on the powerboat groups maybe we should unite and voice our issues uppon the lawmakers to get something changed. If that should fail, we can face them down with our huge civilian armada. Sending the powerboaters out first of course...

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
Old 11-19-2012

patrickbryant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
If they wanted him to drop sails I think they would have told him to do so.
I agree. I asked a Coast Guard friend of mine, who's done hundreds of boardings, and his reply was : if the Coasties want you to change anything about your speed and course, they will say so -- don't try to help them until you're given instructions. It's safer for everybody that way, and any quick maneuvers could be misinterpreted as evasion.

He also told me that they used to hail: "Come about and heave to." But they so frequently got quizzical stares from the modern crop of racers ("heave to? how do ya do that?") that they gave up on those instructions.
Brewgyver likes this.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-19-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

They have a harassment quota for the minimum number of people they are required to harass on any give day, regardless of how innocent they may be. That and the rise of the fear industry, may be the source of the problem.
H3LlIoN likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 11-19-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2012
Jim Sanders

Jimmy E is on a distinguished road

Almost got boarded once by the US Coast Gaurd. I say almost because on this specific day we were crossing Erie in a 26' Grampian / 4 knot winds / wing on wing, in following seas. We watched the Coast Gaurd travel back and forth for more than hour waiting for us to cross the border.....I am assuming they got board waiting, and eventually disappeared on the horizon.
There's a moral in here somewhere
Jimmy
Old 11-19-2012

patrickbryant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
They have a harassment quota for the minimum number of people they are required to harass on any give day, regardless of how innocent they may be. That and the rise of the fear industry, may be the source of the problem.
As long as they're polite and don't damage anything, I don't mind being boarded. I've heard and seen the Coast Guard save a lot of boaters from certain death in the cold brine - that I feel it's a small price to pay for having them around. What upsets me is the vast amount of US Taxpayer dollars that go into rescuing people who have no clue about seamanship.
Old 11-19-2012

Quote:
What upsets me is the vast amount of US Taxpayer dollars that go into rescuing people who have no clue about seamanship. Patrickbryant
Do you have any metric to support this? How much was CG money was actually spent on rescuing people?? What is the alternative..let them drown? How do you prevent this? So should the CG rescue the people who work the commercial fishing boats on the Bering Sea? That seems like a suicide mission we taxpayers are supporting if you ask me. I dont care if I eat another opelio crab again.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-20-2012

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised that so many seem to accept US authorities just boarding us for no reason other than they want to. What I'm talking about is the 4th Amendment, which says,

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Yes, customs has always had the right to board vessels approaching from foreign waters, but that doesn't explain how the USCG and local police have assumed the right to board vessels in domestic waters.
GMFL, Stella's crew and H3LlIoN like this.

Last edited by Andrew Burton; 11-20-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.