Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road
Re: rammed:by the customs & border patrol

If I was in the coast guard I would be very embarrassed to carry out the random boarding part of the job. The coasties are much better suited to being heroes than that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

When I was in my 20's, and the cop's would come up to my boat, I'd say " What do you dip
sh!t's want" and it never went over all that well, usually end up with a ticket I'd never pay and end up in jail a year later for a warrant. Now I just play nice, and it goes smooth. path of least resistance. I still mumble the same thing under my breath as they approach.
chef2sail, Goblinfog and Grunthrie like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-20-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2012

patrickbryant is on a distinguished road

I don't see any mention in the 4th amendment about boats. Boats have been a major vehicle of smuggling for centuries, and that hasn't changed. The 4th amendment only protects us from unreasonable searches. Considering the scope and extent of the risks, being boarded so the CG can have a look around isn't unreasonable. Especially since anyone can operate a recreational vessel. Those of us with CG licenses have had to undergo fingerprinting and pass a background check. The risk of a vessel being exploited for a terrorist attack is very real, and the impact to our economy would be immeasurable.

Try imagining what would happen to our economy if all inbound container ships were forbidden from approaching our coasts due to the practical impossibility of searching inside all those stacked containers -- after something bad came out of one of them shoreside. It's a real risk. I'm as Libertarian as anyone, but I also believe the US has a right to protect its borders, intercept terrorists, and curtail smuggling. Now imagine: along comes someone in their recreational boat, no license, no background check, no way for the Coast Guard to know if the people aboard are even sane: and the Coast Guard wanting to take a look at what's going on inside that boat seems reasonable to me.

I assure you that, if you get boarded, when they ask you for your ID ... and you hand them your Merchant Mariner Credential and your TSA background check card, they will treat you differently. Otherwise, they have no idea who you are and what you're up to out there. Want to be treated differently? Go get licensed.

It's a matter of balance - something that's in short supply in our culture. Compromise and moderation seem to be dead virtues, as I'm sure the flames I'm going to get will demonstrate.
Brewgyver likes this.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-20-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-20-2012

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

I don't see any mention in the 4th amendment about boats.
My home is my home it is unreasonable without a signed warrant.

Boats have been a major vehicle of smuggling for centuries
Other than the long historical perspective, so have planes, cars, backpacks/purses and pockets. So what is your point????

inbound container ships Yes hassle a six knot vessel but not a 20+knot cargo ship that their load is only what ??? at what fraction of a percent is actually inspected? Brokers cleared my last shipment.......guess what was NOT inspected?

Otherwise, they have no idea who you are and what you're up to out there.
It is my right not to tell them what I am doing or where I am going. It is not their business. I do not talk to cops other than the basic hi and by. Not rude, just to the point and brief. That is another "right" you would love to give away.

if the people aboard are even sane: A license, credential or TSA background check card is not assurance of sanity or safety.

I'm sure the flames I'm going to get will demonstrate. Yes, you are in such danger you are willing to live in a police state that cannot possibly protect you. To the point of facilitating the repression of people who have no interest in acts of terrorism. Flames not really, just amusing to see an intelligent being pretending that the house that is burning is a sound structure.

I'm as Libertarian as anyone You are not even on the same planet as a libertarian.

Sailing a boat is not a terrorist act.
Old 11-20-2012

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

Just to let people know I am not against the idea of a safe and sound country.

1. Boat inspections can be done at dockside. I cannot out run a MV.
2. Most sailboats tend to go in circles...some smaller and some bigger, then dockside .
3. Real "bad boy" types are not gonna use the average joe six pack special.
4. If the cops want you they can and will find something to bust your balls with.
5. I really appreciate the coasties when they do rescue our/my ignorant ass/es.
6. But seriously, how many boaters do you know/heard of or even read about are into things other than fun boating activities?????????
Old 11-20-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
When I was in my 20's, and the cop's would come up to my boat, I'd say " What do you f@get's want" and it never went over all that well, usually end up with a ticket I'd never pay and end up in jail a year later for a warrant. Now I just play nice, and it goes smooth. path of least resistance. I still mumble the same thing under my breath as they approach.
( disclaimer, I live in Key West and have a lot of gay freinds so I can say that word)
(EDIT BY CD - personal attack)

This is meant as a half joke, I'm sure you're not an idiot, but being friends with a group of people does not excuse the prejudiced nature of your words. I would have thought if you had a bunch of gay friends that you would steer away from using any gay terms derogatorily.

In terms of letting the coast guard board me... why wouldn't I? I'm all legal, and have nothing to hide... and being friendly goes further than being a jerk to them. Remember, these might be the same guys and girls who are picking you out of the water some day after something bad or stupid happens.
chef2sail and Capt.aaron like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 11-20-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Personal attack
Old 11-20-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
(edited by cd - personal attack)

This is meant as a half joke, I'm sure you're not an idiot, but being friends with a group of people does not excuse the prejudiced nature of your words. I would have thought if you had a bunch of gay friends that you would steer away from using any gay terms derogatorily.

In terms of letting the coast guard board me... why wouldn't I? I'm all legal, and have nothing to hide... and being friendly goes further than being a jerk to them. Remember, these might be the same guys and girls who are picking you out of the water some day after something bad or stupid happens.
Yes indeed I am an idiot. It wasn't untill I embraced my inner idiot that I started to overcome it. I changed the phrase to the other term that pop's in my head when I see the orange dinghy. I alway's go a little far don't I? I set up my life raft in a way that I can most likely get my self to the nearest down wind piece of land, I hope I never need those guy's. I do appriciate them for the lives they have saved.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 11-20-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If the authorities didn't find so many rules being broken during the boarding process, I am convinced the taxpayer would stop paying to have it done.
chef2sail and wingNwing like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-20-2012

LooseDiamond is on a distinguished road

There is a recent 3 part article on Coast Guard boardings and your Fourth Amendment rights from sailfeed.com. It is very informative, as well as links to other writings on the subject.

If you wish to skip the reading, I will summarize it for you:

You don't have any Fourth Amendment rights on the water, and haven't since 1790.

Quote:
“There are two main ways to board a vessel—either with permission, or without.”
Had to delete link. Only had 9 posts and I need 10. See if I can post it next...
Old 11-20-2012

LooseDiamond is on a distinguished road

Here you go:

Coast Guard Boardings and Your Fourth Amendment Rights, Part 1 | Sail Feed