SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   rammed:by the customs & border patrol (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/94139-rammed-customs-border-patrol.html)

2belize&back 11-15-2012 09:39 PM

rammed:by the customs & border patrol

In cruising,you are bound to be checked out by the authorities,and i did not mind at all.they are professionals doing the job of protecting the waters,infrastructure and other boaters, ect.. in my @4000 mile trip, i had 11 encounters.; 1-sheriff, 1-harbor police, 2-parks & wildlife, 3- coast guards, & 4- customs & border patrol zodiacs.sometimes a full search & records check is made,others just a welfare and to make sure all the required safety gear is on board.my last contact was in belize city with the coast guard.while docked there for a week,we became good friends,and was given a tour of their zodiac,"a gift" from the u.s.( $ 500.000.00) in u.s. dollars.anyways,the encounter, i will not soon forget, occurred on my way back through galveston. i was moving right along well heeled over on a reach,when a c & b patrol boat approached from astern;"we are going to board you" they yelled.i nodded my head in affirmative,gave them the "ok"sign, and waved my arm with a "come on" gesture.they came up to the highside starboard quarter and one guy jumped onto the c-22's bench seat.then their zodiac hit my corner and spun me 90 degrees to starboard instantly.a combination of the zodiacs momentum pushing on my beam,and my keel acting as a brake,made theirs ride up onto and roll mine over,so that a huge amount of water came over the port rail.the guy that had jumped into my boat was now scrambling back onto his bow,thinking that my boat was going down.just as quickly as this had happened,they got theirs off of mine and she righted herself and i got back on course and to speed,whilest the scuppers drained.and again they approached,"we are going to board you",i gestured and yelled " come to the portside,low side".they did,two guys jump on ,we shake hands and smile.they ask me to slow the boat down, i release the jib and the search was on...and then they were gone. 2 b cont...

chucklesR 11-16-2012 08:43 AM

Re: rammed:by the customs & border patrol

So basically, you had no thought of making the boarding action safe by heaving too, dropping sail etc.. and yet you want to complain?

That's like complaining when a cop is chasing you with his lights on, then rams you to get you off the road when you refuse to pull over.

MysticGringo 11-16-2012 08:51 AM

Why didn't you slow the boat?

deniseO30 11-16-2012 08:56 AM

I'd of assumed you were "running" because you didn't slow down or heave to.

Vasco 11-16-2012 09:18 AM

Usually when they board you they tell you to maintain speed and course.

Ninefingers 11-16-2012 10:18 AM

If they wanted him to drop sails I think they would have told him to do so.

lancelot9898 11-16-2012 10:29 AM

I have only been boarded once and they did request that I maintain speed and course. This brings up an episode where a friend of mine was partipating in an offshore race and had the helm at night when all of a sudden a zodiac approached from the pitch black of the night. He refused to grant them permission to board and wanted to see more ID. They then disappeard into the black of night only to return with some more ID. He was still not satisfied and even when they pointed to the zodiac with the coast guard markings he told them that meant nothing. He told them if they wanted to board that the mother ship would have to light up. It did, but then after all of this going on I expected him to tell me that they did a very detailed inspection after he granted them permission to board. However no inspection took place and they just let him continue with the race without even boarding.

bljones 11-16-2012 10:37 AM

Boarded ELEVEN TIMES in 4000 miles?
I'd be asking myself, why am i attracting unwanted attention and how do i stop doing it?

deltaten 11-16-2012 10:44 AM

I think this is 2BB's subsequent attempt at [fictional] prose, rather than an account of his wanderings. Whether based in fact and actual events or strictly from imagination is up to the reader.

smackdaddy 11-16-2012 10:50 AM

I don't really care. I just look forward to Part 2.