SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Australian insurance costs (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/94221-australian-insurance-costs.html)

hana2012 11-18-2012 08:05 PM

Australian insurance costs

Hi everyone. Look, honestly, I understand that in order to get a quote on a boat the company insuring it wants a survery to know exactly what they're getting into. But it does make learning what's involved in owning a boat really darn difficult. How to plan? Buy a boat and then find it costs $100,000 a year to insure?? (ok, yes that is dramatic and ridiculous...but I'm just a bit peeved).

So are there some Aussies here who might help me get some idea?

A 40 ft boat, 20-25 years old (the boat, not me...I wish - I'm in my 40's). Good condition, fibreglass hull, diesel engine. Liveaboard and occasional future cruising. Moored at a river marina pontoon mostly and sometimes just a mooring. Relatively inexperienced captain, sailing 1-2 yrs ...but will have done a number of courses to increase skill in being crew, maintainence and coastal skippering.

Am I looking at $100 a month, $500 a month? :o

tdw 11-18-2012 08:22 PM

Re: Australian insurance costs

Quote:

Originally Posted by hana2012 (Post 950192)
Hi everyone. Look, honestly, I understand that in order to get a quote on a boat the company insuring it wants a survery to know exactly what they're getting into. But it does make learning what's involved in owning a boat really darn difficult. How to plan? Buy a boat and then find it costs $100,000 a year to insure?? (ok, yes that is dramatic and ridiculous...but I'm just a bit peeved).

So are there some Aussies here who might help me get some idea?

A 40 ft boat, 20-25 years old (the boat, not me...I wish - I'm in my 40's). Good condition, fibreglass hull, diesel engine. Liveaboard and occasional future cruising. Moored at a river marina pontoon mostly and sometimes just a mooring. Relatively inexperienced captain, sailing 1-2 yrs ...but will have done a number of courses to increase skill in being crew, maintainence and coastal skippering.

Am I looking at $100 a month, $500 a month? :o

From memory you should be looking at around $750.00-$1000.00 for under $100,000.

hana2012 11-18-2012 08:43 PM

That was pretty silly of me to leave out the cost of the boat - lol. I'm glad I'm not performing surgery on anyone today.
Is that an annual figure?

mikel1 11-18-2012 09:27 PM

Here in the U.S. that would be annual . . . are you kidding . . .!?

tdw 11-18-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hana2012 (Post 950210)
That was pretty silly of me to leave out the cost of the boat - lol. I'm glad I'm not performing surgery on anyone today.
Is that an annual figure?

Jesus I hope so ..... :eek:

hana2012 11-18-2012 09:40 PM

Lol. I was only partially kidding. My whole reason for asking is every time I see any post about insurance it's like people are shocked at the price of it...so I began to wonder if it was really that crazy.

I think it's not a bad annual premium considering a boat is floating on the water and is totally out there in the elements.

ReefMagnet 11-18-2012 09:54 PM

Generally speaking, over 20 yo and you need an insurance survey which needs to be redone from time to time at the insurer's whim. Location, mooring type and the boat itself all factor into each co's risk assessment and hence the premium. Best thing would be to get quotes directly from the insurance co's. They will give you a quote regardless of whether or not you have an insurance survey.

tdw 11-18-2012 10:11 PM

Hana .... remember that is for base line insurance ... comprehensive and public liability but does not allow for racing or offshore cruising.

As per ReefMagnet's post ... you'll need that survey to get the insurance cover but I'm surprised that they won't quote you subject to survey. Try Anchorage, Nautilus or Club Marine. I've found that insurers usually require a survey every five years.

hana2012 11-18-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefMagnet (Post 950257)
They will give you a quote regardless of whether or not you have an insurance survey.

Actually I tried that and they wouldn't. I felt quite thwarted and that is why I tried on here - and much more successfully too if I may say.

Thanks for your other advice. Good to know what they are looking for. :)

hana2012 11-18-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 950262)
Try Anchorage, Nautilus or Club Marine. I've found that insurers usually require a survey every five years.

Thank you! The one I tried was sydneyboating.com.au

I don't blame them for wanting a regular survey...so much can go wrong in a few years it seems.