Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Second boat suggestions?

I'm not sure that you'll find too many other Pearson sailboats in the 27-30 foot range that have the features that you are looking for. In particular the earlier 28' models (the 28-1 made in the mid 70s to around 82, and the Triton made before that) were both tiller boats. The 28-2 (1985 until 1989) is a wheel boat. They are all pretty different boats, the Triton is a very stout full keel boat that is one of the most common small across ocean vessels. The 28-1 and 28-2 are coastal cruisers, but the 28-2 is a more modern design with the types of features that you were looking for.

Islander 28 shoal draft is another boat that I'd keep an eye out for. Wheels were common (if not the default) and the layout will feel familiar yet more spacious compared to the Catalina 25. An Islander 30 was one of our top choices and I'm moored next to one right now. They are very nice boats, and the Islander 28 looks very similar if not better.

Another interesting boat to look at if you get the chance is a S2 9.2C. I didn't really care for it myself, but it is an interesting and fairly successful attempt to put 2 cabins into a 30' boat. They all have wheels and are pretty common so it should be easy to find one to view.

I looked at a lot of boats in the 28-32' size late summer and early fall this year when we were shopping. I mentioned the 28-2 not only because we bought one, but because it is one of the few 28' boats that I know of that has all of your requirements (except for catbird seats, and they are easy to add).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2012
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

When searching for our first boat, I saw an S2 6.8 22' and LOVED that boat. I couldn't get the seller down to my price, so I had to walk away. I also saw a 9.8A that was for sale in the early part of the season, and it was BEAUTIFUL. I've thought those would be great boats for us. The 9.8C, and the Seidelman 28, are both interesting and tempting. There's one for sale in central NJ that I've been tempted to go see. I like the idea of a center cockpit for a lot of reasons, though I'm not sure I want that much freeboard when trying to dock in wind (our C25 got blown around a bit, and this seems like it would be worse). But the cabin looks like it would be a lot of fun for my family.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the Islanders; I haven't given them much thought.

Thanks for the great feedback!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The weird thing with the S2 center cockpit is that you give up all exterior storage space. There are no cockpit lockers at all. The freeboard also scared me away. The 28-2 has a lot of freeboard as well, but it feels like it gets blown around about as much or a little less than the C-25 (probably due to the extra weight). It is hard for me to make a direct comparison though, our new slip is a lot more sheltered than the one where we kept the C-25.

The P28-2 has a huge cockpit locker that is a lot like the dumpster on the C-25. Our's has more "systems" in it though, the hot water heater, cabin heater, holding tank, and shore power charger are all in there. There is still plenty of room for 6 fenders, mooring lines, a toolbox, deck brush, and the normal locker things.

Islander makes really nice boats, although the fabric headliner makes it harder to inspect them for leaks. I don't know how common they are on the east coast, but they are very common over here. Another 28 footer that often has a wheel here is the San Juan 28, but I don't think those are on the east coast much at all. It is also an IOR design, something that I was personally avoiding.