Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dean101

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road
warning:do not try this at home-part#1

before heading out thru big sarasota pass into the gulf,slow moving tropical storm debby at dusk, had spun off a tornado that just missed my anchorage by a 1/4 mile just outside the pass-a-grille channel, nw of st. pete.. a gust had caught my attention, then 2 blue flashes (transformers).the next day i learned of the damage, @10 houses and a marina dry stack storage took a beating and apon arriving in bradenton,heard of 4 boats sinking in the channel, and 5 were blown from their moorings and into the pier. the public transportation aided in my provisioning.10 large jars of peanut butter & 200 tortillas(previously i had been doing the ussual beans, rice, chilli, pasta, fig newtons,tuna, sardines ect...)but i just wanted to simpliy.the other consumables; 17 gallons drinking water,multi vitamins,vitamin c,and rolling tobaco. about the boat.'72 c-22, new bottom job,a new banks mainsil,4 jibs;storm, 70%, 100%, and a delaminating 150% genny.8 hp evinrude w/ 1 quart gas in the tank.50 w solar panel, battery, anchor & nav lights,wind indicator arrow on top of mast, vhfw/x,a depth sounder. portable am/fm, ni-cad battery charger, bulk head mounted compass,hand held gps(lowrance-i finder-go 2).so, it was a barebones set-up,no radar, auto pilot, no charts, no passport. my only complaint with the boat,is that the swing keel klunks side 2 side when not underway in rough water,(the winch cable had snapped long before),so,i would then keel haul the keel from the side W/winch to reduce some of its motion.also when bowed into a steep wave, the keel would swing back then move forward and slam the keel box violently. the first few days,(i thought 17 days would be doable if the winds were right,it took twice that),there was light to no wind. then a few days of numerous violent thunderstorms w/ multiple lightning strikes so close to the boat, (that i could not even count to one BEFORE THE BOOM) moving across the water quickly,(i saw a tornado form up high,but it did not come down) making me wonder which one i would cross paths with,ready to drop and lash the sails and toss out an improvised sea anchor that i bolted onto my anchor chain. AT @120 miles out noaa w?x faded away, then a good am station from the keys disapated a few days later.i saw sea turtle swiming and thought that poor guy had a long way to go.keeping an eye on my progress via gps was the game and soon it made me aware that the current was now starting to take effect...2 b con...

Last edited by 2belize&back; 11-21-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: forgot to add; that i had a depth sounder
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: warning:do not try this at home-part#1

I think I would have to be under threat of certain death for me to intentionally be 120nm offshore with only a single hand-held gps and no charts in a boat with an iron keel pounding the hull in all but the mildest of conditions. If it can't be retracted because of the broken cable, I would fashion some wedges and wedge that sucker in place before the beating opened up a leak.

I think it's great that you are off on your big adventure and I'm looking forward to the day I can leave on my own, but I would want to know that every part of my boat, including the keel and available nav sources, are just as ready for that adventure as I am. I hope you arrive safely and have no significant problems out there.

Take care.
msmith10 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: warning:do not try this at home-part#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2belize&back View Post
i saw sea turtle swiming and thought that poor guy had a long way to go
That's the same thing the turtle was thinking!