SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

warning:do not try this at home-part#3

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  2belize&back 
#1 ·
...so now,late july,gps showed @150 miles across the yucatan channel sw to the tip of the penisula.would've liked to stay for a day,but i did not want to meet any cubans.(i'm sure theres alot of good folks,and why is there still an embargo?) was able to sw it for a couple of hours before the current took hold again,and pushed me norwest.freighter sightings on the rise,a uscg passed close by.more and more,i liked sailing at night,with the moon and a cool breeze.one glance at a freighters lower bow light,compared to it's higher stern light,shows it's direction,and if their lined up,it's heading right for you.the next evening it was just getting dusk,and i was looking behind me at a huge super cell to the se admiring the awsome cloud formations.way above the horizon i saw 5 lights in the shape of a lop-sided star.now,i have never seen a ufo,a ghost or bigfoot.iv'e never seen anything that i could not explain.i've listened to the 'coast to coast' am radio show at night,with people calling in about some crazy stuff,to which,i've been beyond sceptical.but these lights i saw.venasuaila(sp)was 1200 miles in that direction,but the super cell was right behind the lights.they stayed on for 20 seconds,then one by one they went out.a few moments later,back on, again, 1 by 1 out, then the final time,same way.then 3 red lights,like a leaning tower,on for 10 seconds,then out.one more time.then just one red,out.and that was it.a mystery.oh,and no,there was no drugs or alcohol on board. now,north of the penisula,in shallower waters of 100' and less,the current eased and made my way slowly south.came across @80 fishermen in 8' boats drifting with 8 to 10 lines each.a mothership would pick up a few each, and tow them home when done for the day.two nights later,i went past a city all lit up with two cruise ships off shore.did not know it at the time,that it was cancun.my gps would only zoom down to a 300 mile range showing a vague outline of the land mass ,then blank screen after that.the next day i huged the shore just outside of the reefs to avoid current and 20 miles south i came to an older looking village.i found a calm spot between the reefs,and sailed thru with 10 feet of water under the boat and ,in smooth waters,up to a pier and docked.within moments,i saw an official looking fellow walking towards me with a clip board in hand... 2 b con...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.