Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers

Libby, been traveling a bit so here''s a belated follow-up...

First, congrats on the move, riggers job, and getting out on OP''s boats. Each of those decisions will, whatever else they bring, add immensely to your growing body of knowledge. Sounds like you are very much on track!

Re: the Allied boat you''re looking at, if it''s 36'' it''s a Allied Princess. (If it''s a Misress, it''s a 39'' footer). This is quite a nice cruising boat and I''ve seen many fixed up ''to the nines'', both in ketch & cutter configuration. Draft is a bit shallow for windward work but she''s stoutly built and comfy. Using the aft-oriented wheel is an acquired taste <g> and note how you feel about the worm gear steering, as it may not have enough sensitivity for your tastes.

Just to recap, W32''s have a devoted, loyal following and we continue to come across them out in the Caribbean, sometimes fixed up elegantly and sometimes trudging along despite being terribly ignored by their owners. Some of us just don''t ''get it'', sitting in a small cockpit with no comfy coaming to lean against, letting the deck wash sweep under your buns while holding onto a big thick tiller connected to an unbalanced (ugh...pull harder!) rudder. Others revel in the security of a heavily built cruiser that''s taken many a neophyte offshore to foreign lands, that looks ''like it should'', and has that pointy stern that''s truly the only proper shape aboard a cruising boat. I guess everyone''s right, in that debate. <g>

Glad to hear you''re considering increasing your planned expense, since I honestly doubt you can''t leave the dock on a well-provisioned, freshly prepared (by you or the previous owner) cruising boat - even a small one - without spending multiple times the $10K figure you originally mentioned. Tho'' no doubt there are folks out there that have somehow managed it...

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2001

mmatthews is on a distinguished road

Libby:
I''m selling a boat for about that price. Me and my wife sailed from San Francisco to Charleston through the Panama Canal over the course of two years on a Westerly Centaur, 26 feet. Feel free to email me mmatthews@sailnet.com
Old 07-08-2001

wilhoite@optym.com is on a distinguished road

Libby, look for one of the smaller Bayfield yachts as a possiblity for yourself. The Bayfield line was designed by Ted Gozzard whose speciality is/was short handed cruising boats. The yard built 26-28 footers up unil 1987 or so. There is a bayfield discussion group on the Sailnet lists that is very active.

Another strong small boat is the Northsea 26. These boats are trailerable but are very capable cruisers. I know of several that have been single handed across the Atlantic.

Good luck!
Ken & Sue aboard Fe Ciega
Old 07-15-2001

IronWind is on a distinguished road

Libby
Try http://www.goodoldboat.com
They have excellent articles on older boats all fairly cheap.
For a small Boat I would advise a Flicka or a Yarmouth 23, this is based on me just loving the little craft. A they have alot of room.
Although Alburgs and Tartans are good also.
I know where there is a 35 ft Westphal center cockpit {older} with all gear that has fore and aft cabin. Its in bad need of paint but older couple needs to sell it due to health reasons. Is in water but un used in about 3 yrs.. cost I think around $5000
Ive been in the boat as of late and it would be a great liveaboard, with TLC.
And the boat is capable of Blue Water in the right hands.
IronWind
Old 07-18-2001

Libby is on a distinguished road

The Westphal sounds interesting. How might I contact the owner? Where is it located? Thank you for the tips.
Old 07-19-2001
JeffH

Westphals are open boats and are not liveaboard pocket cruisers and in fact are not even cruisers.
Jeff
Old 07-19-2001
JeffH

That will teach me to respond to the "Messages since last visit". I assumed the discussion was of the Westphal 32 One design. Sorry folks.
Jeff
Old 08-11-2001

Libby is on a distinguished road

Hi Jack. Well I took your advice and am strongly considering buying a Vega 27. I have made an offer and we are in negotiations. This one has been dry docked for about 15 years, but appears to be in good condition, as it was kept covered. It has a new diesel, but I would have to complete the installation. I also need to install a holding tank. One reservation is the lack of headroom forward of the main bulkhead, as it would be cramped for living aboard, but it is the first boat I have looked at that I really want to SAIL. Guess that''s what they are for, after all.
You mentioned they routinely did transatlantic crossings. Do you know of any circumnavigations? Are they designed to be offshore / bluewater cruisers? Should I have a lot of confidence in it''s seaworthiness? What boat might be a good comparison? I know the Tartan 27 is much heavier and keel/centerboard, but how would the 2 compare as far as coastal - blue water cruising ability?
Any further suggestions are most welcome from everyone. I am really grateful for the network of support that this message board has provided. Thanks for everyone''s feedback. Happy sailing, -Jen/"Libby"
Old 08-11-2001
JeffH

Actually, with a PHRF rating of 234 the Tartan 27 would be noticeably faster than the Vega at 246. The keel/cb on the Tartan would result in better upwind performance and raised would result in better performance as well. The centerboard can be adjusted to balance the helm under way as well reducing weather helm.

While the Vegas have a strong cult following they have never had any great appeal to me. I have never actually seen an article or heard of one doing either a transatlantic or a circumnaviagtion voyage but that does not mean it did not happen...it just means I haven''t heard of it.

Jeff
Old 11-20-2001

whistler is on a distinguished road

Hi: There is so much to do and so little time. I am a great lakes cruiser and have just purchased an old Ericson 39. She has just returned from 4 years in the carribean and has a lot of goodies on board. My question is where does one start to organize a piece-meal trip south to Bahamas. I want to spend about 4 months a year down in the south (winter). Does anyone know where I can get information on Erie Barge Canal - Hudson River and charts to go outside down to the Chesepeake. Is this a good summertime venture? How long would it take to go from Annapolis to Florida? You see -so many questions and so little time.

Thanks