SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

warning:do not try this at home-part#4

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  2belize&back 
#1 ·
...he said he was mexican coast guard & asked if i had a permit."no just id & papers for the boat" and that i was heading for belize.told me that "if i stayed in the boat" i'd be "ok"."do you know that there is a hurricane is comming?", "no"i said.his clipboard had a printout of the predicted path,which in two days, would make landfall somewhere between cancun & belize city as a cat #2.i got permision to tie up to a mooring ball inside the reef.then, i met estaben,steve in english,said his dad was from the states.he said this towns name is 'puerta de morelos'.i told him i needed to get some food,drinking water,a little gas &and to dispose of some trash.we worked out a deal of some trade & money.i had a unused 350 watt inverter & a mag flashlight...with everything stowed,i started the motor and realized that the throtle had frose up and jury-rigged a shoelace to the right spot to make it work with the cover on.i motored to and tied upto the sturdy/new looking ball,slept.all the next day,boat owners got together and moved the @ 25' open boats w/biminis & good sized outboards(that they used to take the tourists out to the reefs for snorkeling & diving)out of the water onto the beach &up &over the sea wall,into the towns plaza.i removed jib & main bungeed the halyards away from the mast & tarped .tuesday night the winds blew, but the waves were geting knocked down by the reef so it was not too rough.i had been in similar conditions before in the columbia river gorge,in winter.but i was sure glad that the good folks there helped me out,and when i sailed away,gave them a long thankyou wave.so,with @250 miles remaining to belize city,there was sunny days w/ ocasional t-storms & a consistant east wind(reaching),following the reefs,passing houses & small resorts...the anchor would not pull up,tried different angles w/moter,no luck.winched & winched,finaly came up w/ fluke bent to almost a 90 degree.now,i needed a dock or mooring ball.at the end of the day i came around a bend & saw a huge commercial pier,just on the other side was a small town w/ a dock inside the reef.i docked next to a small mexican navy boat that had their clothes drying on lines.they...2 b con...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.