Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road
warning:do not try this at home-part#6

...i went to the store,got anouther 6 lg jars of peanut butter and more tortillas,filled all my h2o jugs and w/ help from the coasties,got lats and lons of a few hazzards i wanted to avoid.including;banco chinchorro,cozumel & isla mujeres.i planed go way off shore to catch the current,now to be in my favor.i also had been keeping an eye on hurricane isaac on the weather channel at the raddison hotel.isaac had been tracking south of haiti then made a decisive turn to the nw,they forcasted it bound for cuba & the keys.then anouther trip to immagration to take me off the pending list, and they gave me 24 hours to clear the border.i told the dock master i'd send him a postcard & thanked him...i skirted alot of islands and by dusk had put the last one behind me,and kept bearing ene,& into the current. so,i'm looking at @ 1000 miles to texas,though not in a straight line,had to go around the yuc peninsula...in 4 days that east wind & north current had me back amongst all those little fishing boats that would be there one second & not the next, because of the height of the waves...freighter sightings droped off,the moon and stars, used as navigation,freed me up from having to look at gps or compass as much...i heard a weird noise,the tack welds where the gooseneck attached to the mast had failed,likely a result of some violent accidental gybes on the icw,the boom now rubbing on the mast.i loosend the slideing cleat in the mast slot, that was used for the cunningham,raised it up and jury rigged the gooseneck to it...now,this part, might wrinkle some of your sails,(and hope i don't give cruisers a bad name) but,i did some sleepsailing.lashed the tiller on a reach.not too much different than heaving-to with the anchor light on,only a little faster.useing the alarm on my phone, i'd wake, have a look and zzz again.wouldn't do it elsewhere,but in the middle of the gulf in prime hurricane season...(thus the title of this thread)after 6 days north of the penisula the wind died for 2 days, then a west wind and i changed my bearing to the north...2 b con...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: warning:do not try this at home-part#6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2belize&back View Post
....then anouther trip to immagration to take me off the pending list, and they gave me 24 hours to clear the border.i told the dock master i'd send him a postcard & thanked him...
I would love to hear more about this
Old 11-26-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: warning:do not try this at home-part#6

...i went to the store,got anouther 6 lg jars of peanut butter and more tortillas,filled all my h2o jugs and w/ help from the coasties,got lats and lons of a few hazzards i wanted to avoid.including;banco chinchorro,cozumel & isla mujeres.i planed go way off shore to catch the current,now to be in my favor.i also had been keeping an eye on hurricane isaac on the weather channel at the raddison hotel.isaac had been tracking south of haiti then made a decisive turn to the nw,they forcasted it bound for cuba & the keys.then anouther trip to immagration to take me off the pending list, and they gave me 24 hours to clear the border.i told the dock master i'd send him a postcard & thanked him...i skirted alot of islands and by dusk had put the last one behind me,and kept bearing ene,& into the current. so,i'm looking at @ 1000 miles to texas,though not in a straight line,had to go around the yuc peninsula...in 4 days that east wind & north current had me back amongst all those little fishing boats that would be there one second & not the next, because of the height of the waves...freighter sightings droped off,the moon and stars, used as navigation,freed me up from having to look at gps or compass as much...i heard a weird noise,the tack welds where the gooseneck attached to the mast had failed,likely a result of some violent accidental gybes on the icw,the boom now rubbing on the mast.i loosend the slideing cleat in the mast slot, that was used for the cunningham,raised it up and jury rigged the gooseneck to it...now,this part, might wrinkle some of your sails,(and hope i don't give cruisers a bad name) but,i did some sleepsailing.lashed the tiller on a reach.not too much different than heaving-to with the anchor light on,only a little faster.useing the alarm on my phone, i'd wake, have a look and zzz again.wouldn't do it elsewhere,but in the middle of the gulf in prime hurricane season...(thus the title of this thread)after 6 days north of the penisula the wind died for 2 days, then a west wind and i changed my bearing to the north...2 b con...

I hear there is a movement afoot to do away with teaching cursive writing in schools nowadays. May as well do away with that formality also.

Last edited by Seaduction; 11-26-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Used wrong quote.