SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   warning:do not try this at home-part#7 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/94467-warning-do-not-try-home-part-7-a.html)

2belize&back 11-26-2012 08:48 PM

warning:do not try this at home-part#7

...had not seen a ship or plane for two days...about 175 miles off shore due south of houma,i passed an oil super structure # times the size of the typical oil rig...much later i smelled something like kerosine,looked ahead and could a patch of calm water,oil in the water and sailed right thru it.was not long before i was surrounded by a maze of rigs,all shapes and sizes with crew boats comming and going.srimp booats were working too...i was hove-to with a weak anchor light on,my small 50 watt solar panel not able to keep up with the demand.was doing the phone alarm drill,getting a couple of zzz's,when i heard metal noise,rose in an instant,then a voice"wtf man?" i looked up and saw my port spreader hanging."sorry 'bout that" i yelled,and pushed the tiller to port.we separated right away,their outrrigger that held out their "bird" was what made contact...i sailed under jib alone for 50 miles,untill the wind calmed.tied a line onto the end of a cresent wrench and threw it up and over the starboard spreader down to a caribeaner fixed to stancion and back to winch to gain back some tension on the mast,lost. raised and reefed main,put on a smaller jib.this in time got me back to the boat yard,where my trip had begun.next day my friends brought the beer and i learned 'em of my adventure.they had a hard time "belizeing" it, 'till i produced the 30 day visa.i sold the boat back to the guy i bought it from,for alot less than i paid....fairwinds sailnetters...this is 2belize&back...over & out.

sailortjk1 11-26-2012 08:57 PM

Re: warning:do not try this at home-part#7

Maybe your 7 part series should be titled, "What not to do on a sailboat."

Sorry, but its so hard to understand your post, I believe you struck an oil rig or vessel of some kind and that broke a spreader which you tried to fix with a line? And it was your port spreader that needed repair but you threw the wrench over the starboard spreader.

Did you not have a spare halyard available?
I am just trying to understand better what was going on.
I will now go back and reread all 7 parts.

Siamese 11-26-2012 10:15 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sailortjk1 11-27-2012 09:18 AM

I give up.
The guy that wants to cross the Stream and sail to the Bahamas should read this.
Yes, I do believe this should be called "What not to Do." and the admins should make it a sticky!

azguy 11-27-2012 10:01 AM

I'm starting to think this guy dreamed the whole trip while smoking some.....well you get the idea....

MokaKat 11-27-2012 10:19 AM

Maybe I missed the part of 'why' he did this! I understand having an adventure, but to Belize and back without any chance for enjoying the ride seems strange. Also not having a passport would really restrict your options. Maybe there is more to this story!

Sal Paradise 11-29-2012 08:24 PM

deserves a better write up and ....pics!!