Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Domicile or Residence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
SV G introduces a very good distinction. What is required to be withheld has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with what you owe. Employers have the legal requirement to withhold (not opining on this posters specific situation) and can be personally liable for it if they don't.

If you don't end up owing anything, you have to go get it back.

Filling out your W2 correctly tells the employer how much to take out. You can claim 'exempt" from federal Taxes. Of course your year end earnings, interest, dividends, rents, capitol gains, misc income may subject you to additional taxes.

You may want to take a closer look at what qualifies you as a "non resident" for federal tax purposes. Less then 30 days in country qualifies you for about a $90,000 exclusion, not including IRA contributions, deductions etc.Very handsome offshore dividend when I work/live/sail/ offshore.

A good tax accountant will save you a bundle of boat bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I can't imagine that any state is still doing this. Maybe you're grandfathered in or something, but everyone I know regardless of what state has had to provide a physical address. Thank you PATRIOT ACT...
Yea, I was surprised as well. This was last May and I was in the middle of moving so I did not want my "old" address on the license, and did not have a "new" address to use either so she said just use your PO Box since that is stable. My job was able to do an address change to my PO Box as well but may not have been satisfied with that on hiring. Heck my old license had a wrong address on it for 7 years, as I moved about 4 months after getting it and NY does not require you to get an new one, but only to update the state with the new address.
Old 11-29-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In that stage of our life, we don't expect to have a very big house. A condo would even be preferable.
Only problem w/ a condo, you've got those monthly association dues.

Personally I'd like to go up to midcoast maine. Long as you weren't right on the water, things are pretty resonable up that way. Maine in the summa, down south in the winta.
Old 12-03-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Only problem w/ a condo, you've got those monthly association dues.

Personally I'd like to go up to midcoast maine. Long as you weren't right on the water, things are pretty resonable up that way. Maine in the summa, down south in the winta.
Condos are nice, especially if you are a seasonal resident, to have lawn care and exterior maintenance done for you. Of course there are association dues, but the price is usually lower than for a freestanding house as well, so it is often a wash.
Old 12-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Condos are nice, especially if you are a seasonal resident, to have lawn care and exterior maintenance done for you. Of course there are association dues, but the price is usually lower than for a freestanding house as well, so it is often a wash.
I've lived in a condo more than once, rented, bought homes, built homes, you name it.

I've never seen Homeowners fees exceed the cost of what you would pay for the same services in a home. Garbage, lawn care, snow removal, common area taxes and maintenance, pool maintenance, driveway repair, roofs, gutters, etc. Even with a surprise special assessment, its always been a bargain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-03-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

I only mentioned condo fee's because when you add them to property taxes it does increase your monthly nut. Problem I have w/ a condo is "air space" is all you really own.
Old 12-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I only mentioned condo fee's because when you add them to property taxes it does increase your monthly nut. Problem I have w/ a condo is "air space" is all you really own.
Fair point, all must be taken into account. But, if you own a fee simple single family home, it has serious cash flow requirements too.

Ask anyone that purchased their home in the '05 to '06 timeframe in just about any US metro area and they can tell you what air space is. It's the lost value of what they thought they owned.

Don't get me going on the "American Dream" to own one's home. Its a contrivance. Nothing against it, but one would have been much better off renting over the last decade and probably the next to come.
peoples1234 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.