SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Veterinarian near Lake Worth, WPB for Bahamian trip (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/94502-veterinarian-near-lake-worth-wpb-bahamian-trip.html)

F15EWSO 11-27-2012 09:10 PM

Veterinarian near Lake Worth, WPB for Bahamian trip

We are in Melbourne and will be at Lake Worth in a few days and need a local Vet to give a health certificate for our cats. We've done all the required paperwork with the Bahamian Ag folks and are good to go this is just the last part. The requirement is the certificate must be issued just prior to arrival, difficult to do with weather windows etc. Does ANYONE have experience with a local vet who is understanding to these immigration issues.

hellosailor 11-27-2012 10:06 PM

Re: Veterinarian near Lake Worth, WPB for Bahamian trip

Not offhand, but IIRC the Broward Co. Humane Society has a shelter and clinic near the FLL airport, and they should be able to refer you to someone.

RichH 11-27-2012 10:17 PM

There are two such 'understanding' vets in the North Palm Beach Area. Take your own pen with you for them to fill out the form, you fill out the date when in the Bahamas:

1.Town & Country Animal Hospital
11788 Us Highway 1
Palm Beach Gdns
(561) 626-1233
within walking distance of the north Lake Worth anchorage

2. Juno Beach Animal Hospital
12834 U.S. 1
Juno Beach
(561) 626-8000
you'll need a taxi, as its a long walk from the North Lake worth anchorage.

Before committing to any vet be sure that they agree to an undated 'health cert.' for the Bahamas. No one in the Bahamas ever bothers with checking the date as they only want your money .... but you never know when or if you run across an obsessive compulsive ... and the health cert. is dated at more than the 48hrs. limit.
;-)

F15EWSO 11-30-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichH (Post 954066)
There are two such 'understanding' vets in the North Palm Beach Area. Take your own pen with you for them to fill out the form, you fill out the date when in the Bahamas:

1.Town & Country Animal Hospital
11788 Us Highway 1
Palm Beach Gdns
(561) 626-1233
within walking distance of the north Lake Worth anchorage

2. Juno Beach Animal Hospital
12834 U.S. 1
Juno Beach
(561) 626-8000
you'll need a taxi, as its a long walk from the North Lake worth anchorage.

Before committing to any vet be sure that they agree to an undated 'health cert.' for the Bahamas. No one in the Bahamas ever bothers with checking the date as they only want your money .... but you never know when or if you run across an obsessive compulsive ... and the health cert. is dated at more than the 48hrs. limit.
;-)

Rich H,
perfect!! Own pen, understanding vet. The cats are very healthy, not trying to pull a fast one but my boat is just not 48hrs fast. Just the info and referrals I needed. THanks for the information.

hellosailor 11-30-2012 08:26 PM

Rich, you know, even if that information was deleted today, it is already in the search engines and web archives "forever". It could easily be read as a public statement that certain licensed professionals do and will break certain laws. That's the kind of stuff that sometimes get used to cause great damage these days.

Yes, that kind of stuff really happens.

RichH 11-30-2012 10:57 PM

Sometimes one has to undertake extraordinary measures to 'live' with extraordinarily inane and thoroughly myoptic bureaucracy. ;-)

F15EWSO 12-01-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichH (Post 955351)
Sometimes one has to undertake extraordinary measures to 'live' with extraordinarily inane and thoroughly myoptic bureaucracy. ;-)

Rich, thankfully there are those vets and others who can see and "help" in overcoming this myopic bureaucracy. Otherwise how could we work this particular issue for example. Most likely legislated and drafted in a period of air travel where 48 hrs seems like a long time. Thanks again for the useful post.

miatapaul 12-03-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 955299)
Rich, you know, even if that information was deleted today, it is already in the search engines and web archives "forever". It could easily be read as a public statement that certain licensed professionals do and will break certain laws. That's the kind of stuff that sometimes get used to cause great damage these days.

Yes, that kind of stuff really happens.

I don't think anyone was implying they would break the law, just that they understand what needs to be done to qualify and what forms need to be filled out. I know some Vets may not deal with the paperwork often.

F15EWSO 12-04-2012 11:54 AM

I just left Town and Country Animal Hospital and they were very helpful, courteous, kind to both our cats, and provided excellent service. They went through our paperwork, furnished necessary certificates and forms and I would go to them for service if I lived in the area.

The doctor sifted through the necessary caribbean forms and knew which forms and data were necessary for our pets. The forms are a bit "broadbrush" and are not tailored for dogs, cats, birds, etc....so professional attention is needed.

On of the doctors there is a sailor and understands the words weather window.

I would use these guys again in a heartbeat.

Best wishes