Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

I really like, or see the potential(to be more accurate), of a variation of things for barter and sale, combined with as broad a range of applicable skills as possible, and a willingness to make things happen. As mentioned there is always an amount of monies needed for vagrant/visitor slips, fuel, crossing the panama canal, maintenance, and whatever you need but can't trade (barter or sweat equity). Though imagine these to be less in certain spots as compared to others. Some interesting combination of a mobile gypsy vendor, and a sailing the farm sustainability with enough excess to use for trading, and handy-person finding anything that they can do for some amount to help keep those things requiring cash in order. have done it in every other type of vehicle, including several pairs of foot wear, and seen others do it. adapt, diversify, survive
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

A reasonable amount for personal use is fine as long as you declare it on your return. If you are suspected of criminal activity and have 10 cases on board you are going to have a problem. If you have no prior run ins and have 10 cases on board you will be fine as long as you declare it and pay the duty. There is no restrictions on how much alcohol you bring back into the country for personal use.

You can have as much as you can fit on the boat and no crime is committed until you unload it without declaring it.
slax (07-09-2013)
Old 08-13-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

"Back in the 90's, when they were giving credit cards away, I somewhat seriously considered signing up for all I could, taking max cash advance on every one, and sailing off alone."

I know a guy who did it back in ´93. His wife had recently died and the govenrment was royally screwing him somehow, so he maxed out as many cards that he could get his hands on and took off until the statute of limitations on debt ran out and came back for more..hahaha. He was brilliant about it.

Actually I agree with Capt.Aaron. Necessity is the mother of invention, so if you have to break bricks to get a paycheck to eat, you break bricks no matter what IT background you have.

Beautician is a possibility for the girl on the boat. Restaurant work as a barback is another one.

When I was a liveaboard coastal cruising the west coast of florida for work, I met a woman who weaved bamboo leaf baskets. They weren`t big or fancy, but she had a line of tourists lining up to buy one off her for 5 bucks each. I still have mine 17 years later to remember the life just before I moved to Norway which is a whole nother story in itself.

Would it/could it be possible to follow along with the regatta circuits and time it out to arrive before it starts to put the word out that you can repair such and such for this or that price?

Last edited by Andrew65; 08-13-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2013
Happy Dance

Kesmg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
Run drugs, guns and liquor. When I was in the Coast Guard that seemed like the business most live-aboards were in. We were constantly being reminded to not overlook Ma and Pa on their sailboat when doing boardings. We would frequently review cases where a sailboat was boarded and the 70+ year old Grandmother and Grandfather had large quantities of illegal drugs on board.

I think from a practical standpoint unless you work part of the year and cruise the rest or are independently wealthy, bartering is the only real way to get the items you need like fuel and provisions.
For Real? I would assume we would not be considered suspects, but now see your point. wow. My husband is IT, would that help our sincerity?
Katrina
Old 08-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

FWIW, the best job I have ever heard of as live-aboard was that of a family I bumped into in North Queensland many moons ago: They had a (rather rare) license to catch Tropical Fish.

A couple of hours a week with a scuba tank and a net was enough to keep them in pocket money whilst they simply enjoyed life in paradise..
Old 08-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
FWIW, the best job I have ever heard of as live-aboard was that of a family I bumped into in North Queensland many moons ago: They had a (rather rare) license to catch Tropical Fish.

A couple of hours a week with a scuba tank and a net was enough to keep them in pocket money whilst they simply enjoyed life in paradise..

Met a guy who collected rare shells and sent them to collectors around the world.

Met another guy lately who teaches English via Skype.
Kesmg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
Kesmg (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Met a guy who collected rare shells and sent them to collectors around the world.
A Beachcomber, huh?? Sounds like hard work to me.. Like gold prospecting, if you don't find something saleable, you'll be out there the next day, and the next.. never knowing when you'll get enough for your next meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Met another guy lately who teaches English via Skype.
and good luck to him.. That would frustrate the hell out of me!!
Atlas likes this.
Old 08-18-2013

melody1204 is on a distinguished road

I have a full-time job with a promotional marketing company that I'm fortunate enough to still be able to do from the boat, but I also have side jobs that I do for extra income.

I've updated websites for people (found on Craigslist, word of mouth, etc.) as well as built some from scratch. Simple stuff, as I'm not a professional web designer, but I know enough to make a decent looking site and I can read/write html.

I also make jewelry and have my own online jewelry shop called Maggie & Milly. You can check it out here! www.maggieandmilly.com

I write a blog called Saving To Sail that has a post on ways to replenish the cruising kitty.

Basically you just have to be creative and versatile. Some things may bring you money one month, but not the next, so just take that into consideration. Some months I make a nice chunk of change making and selling jewelry, but sometimes I thank my lucky stars that I still have a full-time job.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Old 09-25-2013
Young Liveaboard

Coastlife247 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

This sounds awesome. I have a degree in biology as well as an open water SCUBA cert. How can i get into scuba diving for reef tank fish????
Old 09-25-2013

khammett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorsnook View Post
Is anyone interested in discussing ways to make a few pennies whilst being a travelling liveaboard? I've tried a few things, with limited success so far, which experience I can share, but always open to new ideas!

Work at Labor Ready...same day cash.

Tags
liveaboard , making a living , making ends meet , making money , surviving