Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013

puravida11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

Hi guys, Paul Loli, 29 year old novice sailor looking for advice on good charts for these particular areas. My older brother recently purchased a boat, 44ds jeanneau, that is coming to Miami late next month. We have sailing experience for the past two years, two dozen hours or so with captain, ASA up to 104, and we have a plan on having an experienced captain that we know teach us once we're aboard next month for a few weeks or so, depending on our comfortable we get. We're taking precautions as well in getting the ASA 105 & 106 just to give us even more experience. We're novice sailors, cautious, but we are trying to make small, short term goals, far as making it across to Bimini, or West End, because this is a first for both of us. We are the types to really get our heads down and we found a groove together very quickly once sailing, but realize that there is so much more to learn. Our grand goal is to make it to Fortaleza, by June, for the World Cup. We have recently purchased good explorer chartbooks, all editions for near Bahamas, Exumas, etc, but we really haven't found anything too detailed for the Trinidad and the Brazilian Coast area, up to Fortaleza. Does anyone happen to know good charts that are worth purchasing for these particular areas? I understand this is a lot for our first post, but have been following this site for awhile now, and there always seems to be knowledgeable advice. We are in over our heads, but we're willing to work and try and see if we can make it. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

While we all want to sets sail for parts unknown and fall off the grid and be an explorer, it's hard unless you have money socked away. I'm living a meager lifestyle now in hopes that I can have a nice nest egg in 10 years. Maybe it's possible, IDK.

My more realistic plan is to have enough to acquire a nice suitable boat for a live aboard situation and then exploring reasonable/cheap place to live aboard on the gulf coast, Florida panhandle or west coast of Florida. I'll work at Starbucks or maybe even a West Marine store or maybe tend bar and be that cool 50 something guy that lives on his boat and makes a mean latte. Maybe I'll take 2-3months each year and have an adventure in the islands and then return to my home port.

We all need dreams of we are just another mammal....
Old 09-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Coastlife, if you really want to try that you can go into for yourself like Doc Ford. Or work for someone else. Either way you need to find out who sells the fish, because they'll bebuying them from you. Maybe. And what fish or reefs are around you, to know what to catch. And state laws in every state, to find out what you can catch and whether you'll need permits.

Or you can just catch what you like and put 'em up for sale on the aquarium web sites. Might be profitable, might get you arrested, depending on what you run afoul of or not.

Either way you need to find out who is buying and selling what, and then contact them.

I didn't think you had any hard coral reefs off Louisiana.
Old 09-25-2013
Son of Njord

Thermophile is on a distinguished road

Havnt finished reading this, will do so as cell service permits, buuut a friend ofnmine lives on a boat in FL and plays guitar in bars for tips and is a photographer for a living. Me? I have no artistic talents. Unless you could find a way to live off the water?
Old 09-25-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

How about a real job, making real money ? There is a gold rush going on, Good help is hard to find.and oil companies fly their workers from camp, 2 weeks in and 2 out. Talent and skills are necessary so get the training and go for it.If I were to do it today I'd go for a career as Power Engineer. I've spent years dumpster diving but I also worked for Dome,Exxon and Beaudrill (Gulf)and my off time contracted services as research ship captain. The opportunities open before you as you go .On the other hand, piddling off the dock for pocket change might be just the ticket.
Old 09-26-2013
Son of Njord

Thermophile is on a distinguished road

After i posted that a coworker here was talking about that same thing. But that would be like half livabourd.
Old 09-27-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I can see how you could make money being a dive master, but how do you do it while travelling? How do you get the jobs? Do you teach diving, do underwater work on boats? I'd be interested in more specifics.
If you are a diver, and willing, you can make money anywhere near boats inspecting, cleaning bottoms, changing zincs and picking stuff up off the bottom of the harbor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-27-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
While we all want to sets sail for parts unknown and fall off the grid and be an explorer, it's hard unless you have money socked away. I'm living a meager lifestyle now in hopes that I can have a nice nest egg in 10 years. Maybe it's possible, IDK.

My more realistic plan is to have enough to acquire a nice suitable boat for a live aboard situation and then exploring reasonable/cheap place to live aboard on the gulf coast, Florida panhandle or west coast of Florida. I'll work at Starbucks or maybe even a West Marine store or maybe tend bar and be that cool 50 something guy that lives on his boat and makes a mean latte. Maybe I'll take 2-3months each year and have an adventure in the islands and then return to my home port.

We all need dreams of we are just another mammal....
If you play your cards right, in ten years you can set yourself up to cruise indefinitely. You will find that you spend more time in port than at sea anyway and a part time job at WM (A good idea for any boater) or waiting tables will give you the opportunity to make friends and contacts that can advance the cause.

Dreams are all well and good but goals are better. The difference? A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.

Old 10-16-2013

MDBoatBabe is on a distinguished road

Hi all!
I'm a livaboard on my 57' Chris Craft Constellation Connie. I'm a commercial diver; I clean boat bottoms. (web site removed)
I love what I do and do what I love.

Calm winds and fair seas,
Marlene

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-16-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Commercial web site removed
Old 10-16-2013

sailorsnook is on a distinguished road

Are you a travelling liveaboard Marlene?

Tags
liveaboard , making a living , making ends meet , making money , surviving