Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
...we would also be most comfortable with expecting the right and the freedom to go where we want and do what we want as long as nobody else is hurt by our actions.
Well, you can EXPECT that all you want, but in today's world, it simply doesn't exist. You only have to travel between a few countries to realize that there is red tape and bureaucracy everywhere. Every country has their laws, and every country insists that you obey them. I'm pretty sure there aren't any countries on this planet that make a special exception for sailors who expect to be able to "do what we want as long as nobody else is hurt."

But, like I said, I won't judge. If you want to work "off the grid," "on the black," "under the table," or whatever they call it wherever you are from, then I say, more power to ya, and good luck!

However, I do reserve the right to be righteously unimpressed, and even laugh at your foolishness, if you make this choice, happen to be one of the few who get caught, and then whine to the world about how unfair it is for you to be punished. I only mention this because--can't remember if it was this forum, or one of the others that I frequent--some time back a poster went on a tirade about the injustice of him being jailed and fined by foreign officials when he got caught breaking their laws. He thought it was terribly wrong that HE got caught when so many others don't. Sorry, but you will get no sympathy from me on that one!

Last edited by denverd0n; 02-11-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Travel to foriegn countries and you'll see ton's of foreigners owning businesses. I built and owned a night club in Isla Mujeres. I own property in Honduras, who's motto is " Honduras, we are open for business" I'm contemplating building a bar on my dock, maybe putting out some moorings. Permits are in place to be paid, pay 'em. I've worked under the table in foreign coutries. I built fiber glass sh!t tanks in Belize city. In '92, I was broke and demasted up Haulover creek in Belize city. The owner of the Marina that I was in debt to hired me, he needed a good glass guy. I was under the umbrella of " nobody messed with him." I've run under ground charters. It's not illegal if you don't " charge". Just don't be stupid about it. I've worked legally as a dive master, delivery captain, merchant marine. I painted flowers and moons on t shirts and sold them to mostly Guatemalan tourist's in the mountains of Guatemala. I paid the local administration for a street vendors permit daily. Resourceful is what you need to be, and sometimes have a local partner. People who say you can't do it, have'nt done it, and people who say you can, have.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 02-11-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the basic human freedom which would allow people to earn a living and co-exist anywhere, peacefully.
... expecting the right and the freedom to go where we want and do what we want as long as nobody else is hurt by our actions.

This has to be the funniest post Ive read for ages.

Your country may have a Bill of Rights. If it does its one of the few in the world. And no country that I know off alow illegal immigrants or Visitors to work. Or some right of free passage.

But I am not here to tell you how the world works outside your cloistered area. Go cruising and learn.

Mark
Old 02-14-2013

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Quote:

We can cast off our lines for anywhere

"They" don't like this, but for now, they can't do a damn thing about it.

:-)
Fair winds.
Smugglers code. Submarines work good to.
elspru and Kajungizmo like this.
Old 02-14-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
This has to be the funniest post Ive read for ages.

Your country may have a Bill of Rights. If it does its one of the few in the world. And no country that I know off alow illegal immigrants or Visitors to work. Or some right of free passage.

But I am not here to tell you how the world works outside your cloistered area. Go cruising and learn.

Mark
Mark... I wasn't saying that is how the world IS, I was saying that is how it should be.

At 56 years old, and having travelled around the world, I could surely not be that naive and stupid to think what you thought.

I apologize for not being clearer.
Old 02-14-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Travel to foriegn countries and you'll see ton's of foreigners owning businesses. I built and owned a night club in Isla Mujeres. I own property in Honduras, who's motto is " Honduras, we are open for business" I'm contemplating building a bar on my dock, maybe putting out some moorings. Permits are in place to be paid, pay 'em. I've worked under the table in foreign coutries. I built fiber glass sh!t tanks in Belize city. In '92, I was broke and demasted up Haulover creek in Belize city. The owner of the Marina that I was in debt to hired me, he needed a good glass guy. I was under the umbrella of " nobody messed with him." I've run under ground charters. It's not illegal if you don't " charge". Just don't be stupid about it. I've worked legally as a dive master, delivery captain, merchant marine. I painted flowers and moons on t shirts and sold them to mostly Guatemalan tourist's in the mountains of Guatemala. I paid the local administration for a street vendors permit daily. Resourceful is what you need to be, and sometimes have a local partner. People who say you can't do it, have'nt done it, and people who say you can, have.

Now THIS is the spirit! Bravo Captain!
elspru, Razcar and slax like this.
Old 02-18-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Coming in at the end of this thread, and new in the community here. It would seem that with the various skill-sets I have I should pretty well cover most of my needs, abroad even? IT/IS Unix/Cloud infrastructure background. Currently work remotely 80%+ of the time. Looking to make that full break to 100% remote but getting pushback from my current gig, riding it out for now but feeling comforted by what I am seeing for the IT/IS around the world idea... I do have some other skill-sets (electronics/communication/metal-working/woodworking/light-fiberglass/sewing/fire-performance/jewelry) and have spent may years traveling on land using those skills, northeast welding in a tram shop, fl as a vet-tech, co as a wisp admin, az building log houses in prescott, back and forth across the state, canada, and down through panama with the fire performance (for tips/beer at tourist hotspots, and with/without a local troop and a hat) and guerilla jewelry (hemp/silver/copper/etc wire-knot work). I am in an interesting transitional time in my life right now and have found alot of time on my hands for reflection on life and plans unfulfilled. through that I have been coming back to the nomad in me and the ideal path of freedom with self sustainability needed to fulfill that nomadic desire while ensuring it is not a burden on others, specifically those I am responsible for on the mainland and those I am visiting (not taking from the local economy but adding when able, via special skill/ability/product/function)

From what I am gathering I can:
1.) Use what I have saved to purchase the most optimal version I can find of what I need available in my budget (3-8k, 28-32', prob in need of work, a good income at the moment to facilitate repairs/improvements bi-weekly, just seems to go elsewhere, could be the 1600$ rent maybe)
2.) Continue to accumulate a nest-egg before leaving my current gig, while improving/sailing/learning my new home and honing the other skills needed.
3.) Work to support our (self/ship/dog) needs needs while abroad using IT/IS and ANY other skill-set I can tap into from my broad experience base in life, and use savings to ensure land needs are taken care of (support/family/etc...)
4.) Either it works out and I can keep going, I come home (to moms? or a couch somewhere) broke but with an awesome experience for life and find a new cubicle job), or more likely somewhere in the middle? I find a balance that works for me between the two, if I have to land in a harbor somewhere and get a unix/windows/IT gig, it pays well enough to support the long term, 3months at a time even I feel would cover the costs of more then the other 9m, esp when minimized.

Thanks for all the good previous info, looking forward to more to come. I will try to keep things updated as I move through the motions of securing 100% remote and the lifestyle I desire.

Happy sails.
slax
Old 02-18-2013

joelsanda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slax View Post
2.) Continue to accumulate a nest-egg before leaving my current gig, while improving/sailing/learning my new home and honing the other skills needed.

3.) Work to support our (self/ship/dog) needs needs while abroad using IT/IS and ANY other skill-set I can tap into from my broad experience base in life, and use savings to ensure land needs are taken care of (support/family/etc...)
Slax - this is what I'm doing now. I have three years left for the nest egg. At which point I hope to buy and find a liveaboard marina in the southeast while I refit the things I want done.

Hopefully things don't change much in my life and that egg doesn't crack.

I'm also hopeful I can find IT work as a tester. I have 15 years of software testing experience and ought to be able to find contract gigs that will keep the kitty from draining too fast. Have you looked into sites that bid out jobs for contract IT work?

I've got a long standing relationship with a QA placement company in the U.S. west that I'm hoping will be able to funnel work my way when I'm parked for a fair amount of time.
Old 02-19-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsanda View Post
Have you looked into sites that bid out jobs for contract IT work?

I've got a long standing relationship with a QA placement company in the U.S. west that I'm hoping will be able to funnel work my way when I'm parked for a fair amount of time.
a bit, I have done several contracts though until the recent trend in operations to the cloud they have usually required some system side interaction from me. new future dawning for us infrastructure folk..

qa/testing is solid remote, at the last two larger corps I have worked at, we have had several testers in overseas locations with no problems whatsoever..
Old 02-19-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

SLAX,

Overall, I would hope you would believe that you will survive / succeed at least as well while living on a boat, as you have while living on land.

As with all of us, as long as you are willing to do what is available to you to earn what you need, you will survive.

I have met some people who place boxes around themselves, wherein they are ONLY a: "realtor / accountant / manager / etc." and it is those people who remain out of work for months & years.

When I have been "in between computer programming contracts", I have taken security guard jobs, washed boats, i.e., whatever was available to me, and therefore never went flat broke.

Good luck and fair winds!

Doug

Tags
liveaboard , making a living , making ends meet , making money , surviving