Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
whatever was available to me
I think this sums up cruising economics in general.

Make hay while the sun shines ...

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
SLAX,

Overall, I would hope you would believe that you will survive / succeed at least as well while living on a boat, as you have while living on land...
Doug,

Thanks for the input, I am definitely not one to stray from other work when it's available and often really enjoy stepping out of the IT thing for a while to learn something else new, inevitibly for the last 20yrs I have come back to it, usually when the right combination of need/opportunity arise. As while it takes its toll on the body and mind often, it does pay well and thats often needed. Looking forward to diversifying even more and adding to my belt of skill-set's.

best,
slax
Old 02-24-2013

pcloot is on a distinguished road
Hi ,
Good idea but you can't do it alone !!
You need several people and then is the question where ?
Old 02-25-2013
Arrgh!

u4ea is on a distinguished road

I just went to the Los Angeles Ruby Conference last week, and it was interesting to see that LOTS of companies are now "office free" where everyone works from wherever they happen to be. Many, perhaps most, worked from diverse and mobile locations.

Skype works better -- much better -- than cell phones. Its easy to find WiFi hot spots even in the apparently most primitive islands. Ditch the cell iPhone for an iPad Touch.

I have found that by looking around a bit, its easy to find the WiFi, and then to arrange phone calls or even video calls if the bandwidth is stable and fast enough (usually the case).

Using Git, and pushing and pulling when at WiFi, is a professional way to get things done.
elspru likes this.
Old 02-25-2013

joelsanda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea View Post
Using Git, and pushing and pulling when at WiFi, is a professional way to get things done.
You must be a developer? I have a tester who worked for me from his sailboat in Marina Del Rey. As a test manager that was the same as someone working overseas, in the sense there was a VPN and a need to have a local data store for him to execute scripts against.

I know I can play up time zone difference - nothing beats having a Caribbean time zone when you are testing builds for a company on the west coast :-) I routinely aimed for remote testers that had a good half day on a build before my team showed up for work. They vetted the build and found the obvious defects before my senior testers deep tested.

I wonder how it would be to pair a tester with a developer that way, say if both used their respective skill sets to bid on contract jobs and paired up for the contract?
elspru and qas1981 like this.
Old 02-26-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsanda View Post
You must be a developer? I have a tester who worked for me from his sailboat in Marina Del Rey. As a test manager that was the same as someone working overseas, in the sense there was a VPN and a need to have a local data store for him to execute scripts against.
DevOPS here so code as infrastructure is the name of the game... We still maintain our own DC so I for the moment have to be within a reasonable response time for escalated sites issues, but the DC is in SF so anywhere nearby can be within a reasonable amount of time..

Trying to make the break to full time remote, but kinda like it where I am so waiting it out and staying local for the moment.

I like the idea of a remote team sudo complete with all the needed skill-sets to bid on jobs as a team, been slowly working on growing my contact list of people with a proven track record in there roles while working remote. And have been able to bring several of them on for either placement or gigs needing specific skills. Again keeping an eye to the future, and whatever possibilities arise.
ChristinaM and qas1981 like this.
Old 02-26-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised that through all of this thread no one has suggested becoming a marine surveyor.
Old 02-27-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'm surprised that through all of this thread no one has suggested becoming a marine surveyor.
Or a hooker.

Old 02-27-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Or a hooker.

I tried that .... no takers
Silvio likes this.
Old 02-27-2013

joelsanda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slax View Post
I like the idea of a remote team sudo complete with all the needed skill-sets to bid on jobs as a team, been slowly working on growing my contact list of people with a proven track record in there roles while working remote. And have been able to bring several of them on for either placement or gigs needing specific skills. Again keeping an eye to the future, and whatever possibilities arise.
I've got a good solid contact with a test contract/placement firm that I've used for over a decade of contract and direct-hire testers. They are aware of my plans to cut the lines in a few years and that I'll be looking for work when the weather turns mean and nasty. They're in mountain time so I'm hoping an east coastish time zone makes me a little more attractive for contract jobs. Nothing like a tester hitting builds four hours before the programmers roll out of bed.

Tags
liveaboard , making a living , making ends meet , making money , surviving