Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea View Post
I just went to the Los Angeles Ruby Conference last week, and it was interesting to see that LOTS of companies are now "office free" where everyone works from wherever they happen to be. Many, perhaps most, worked from diverse and mobile locations.
Funny thing is.. Yahoo is getting away from that. They are now making all their employees roll into the office every day

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Funny thing is.. Yahoo is getting away from that. They are now making all their employees roll into the office every day
yah but yahoo is slowly declining into a computer catacomb of antiquity... and losing serious equity in the process.
elspru and Thermophile like this.
Old 04-02-2013

estopa is on a distinguished road

I am in IT as well and currently work remotely as a "telecommuter". I do not liveaboard but enjoy summers daysailing with my blackberry connected to work. Our industry certainly has gone through transformation. I don't see "office" space in our future. The future demands our nature of work to be a lot more transient. I see a future of wintering in the islands or down south as long as a broadband internet connection is present.

Also, there are many other passive investments out there. One I am slowly building up is investing in Multifamily apartments. This provides a steady cash flow. Only drawback is that you will have to hand over the reins to a property manager. In essence you will have to manage the manager. Although I think this would be a great source of income for people to travel the world. Of course it will take time and money to foster this.

I've read folks basically renting out their current residences as well. If there is positive cash flow this could be another avenue for liveaboards.
ChristinaM likes this.
1986 Oday 222 #686
Old 04-19-2013

lavidanueva is on a distinguished road

Why not try massage therapy. There will lots of aching backs from baby boomers setting and hauling anchor.
aprilsails likes this.
Old 07-04-2013

bill1974 is on a distinguished road

With skype and teamviewer I service customers from all over the world since 2008.

It is hard and demanding, no solution yet for afloat, since skype talking and teleservicing demands bandwith.

But I am working on it.
Razcar and qas1981 like this.
Old 07-04-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Yah its been an interesting adventure this working from vessel reality. Tis quite hard to stretch out and have more then a single monitor and room to think. Nice when things arent blowing up but sometimes I miss stuff cause I am not able to keep all the HUD's up and open... bandwidth has been an issue as well, though am slowly getting it in order. Most of the time I can pick up the marina wifi when at the slip, seems to serve the purpose during most days (business hours at least). I have another small DC linux box running 2 x 4G data plans multiplexed and shared as an access point for when the wifi is saturated or when out beyond the range of wifi. Can justify the 90$/month with work needs... and when they're both getting good reception, 2x4G is more then enough bandwidth, coverage in most of SF Bay, even under sail. Still doing more research for long-range comms, but feel this setup with the right carriers, or dual carriers for those spots w/out one or the other along the coast.. could cover most of the coastal cruising area out west. Cost could get a little dicey as you get further south if your crossing into mexico (or within 30miles of the border) I would look at international plans ahead of time. The more I think about it for longer voyages though, the more I am leaning towards utilizing whatever other skill-sets I can and staying away from IT/IS stuff except when/if absolutely needed. Its hard enough for me to be stuck below on the freekin keys for a 12-16hr day as is, imagine it would be a bit more lamesauce if I was say in a distant land.

cheers,
slax
qas1981 likes this.
Old 07-04-2013

hydrodog is on a distinguished road

I have a diesel welder generator that provides back up power to my boat and do most welding processes..... always keep a bottle of argon for al welding and plasma cutter .... can do steel and aluminum welding whenever someone needs it for extra cash.
slax likes this.
Old 07-05-2013

A nice working station needs 2 x 22 monitors and a 500 w low voltage supllier in order to execute webmaster tasks and service calls with team and skype.Plus an auxilliary notebook and an external disk for backups. I have made a foldable wooden desk wich foldes the notebook and abovethere is a 19 inch monitor connected to notebook as extended desktop.

Fold the notebook hide the chair and I have the space again.

I need the space easy accesible because below there are my 325 hp steyr diesels.
slax and qas1981 like this.
Old 07-06-2013

There is software that can take one whole website in your hard disk for offline browsing.

So you can travel and read off the grid.

Also a nice tablet can carry half a ton of books that you will need 5 lives to read,lol.

Samsung note is light and you can read in the bed as a normal book.

The key is:

Learn something difficult,only a few know about,make a product,service around it.Solve the problem for ever.No I will not tell you the industry because I eat there ,lol

The industry must be forever not something that will die.eg Health sector is for ever.

You can have sugar and cholesterol digital meters ,consumables and sell service to other cruisers.

Last edited by bill1974; 07-06-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-06-2013

Gustafson78 is on a distinguished road

As with all of us, as long as you are willing to do what is available to you to earn what you need, you will survive.

Tags
liveaboard , making a living , making ends meet , making money , surviving