SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Making a living as a liveaboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/94893-making-living-liveaboard.html)

sailorsnook 12-11-2012 11:13 AM

Making a living as a liveaboard

Is anyone interested in discussing ways to make a few pennies whilst being a travelling liveaboard? I've tried a few things, with limited success so far, which experience I can share, but always open to new ideas!

chucklesR 12-11-2012 11:18 AM

Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

I work with computers, primarily database. The only thing I can't do remotely via the internet is shake your hand.
There are also a lot of small 'fix this specific problem' websites out there where people and companies list jobs and take bids on them; again related to databases.

Keep in mind that most countries have serious problems with foreigner's coming in and working. It helps if you don't actually make any money in those countries, being paid via the internet helps.
Heck, having internet on the boat helps :)

Capt.aaron 12-11-2012 02:31 PM

Dive Master.

Slayer 12-11-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.aaron (Post 960077)
Dive Master.

I can see how you could make money being a dive master, but how do you do it while travelling? How do you get the jobs? Do you teach diving, do underwater work on boats? I'd be interested in more specifics.

remetau 12-11-2012 03:19 PM

Computers have the best pay. If you have the skills or the ability to learn them, then your potential could be unlimited.

I have worked remotely as a programmer for over 7 years doing Lotus Notes, DataStage, Java, and Enovia. There is always work out there available.

Tim R. 12-11-2012 04:27 PM

I have been working in IT for 25 years. Programming, consulting and now management. When I throw off the lines in 2014, the last thing I will want to do is work on computers.

We will have enough saved to go out for multiple years. We will not plan on working until we come back or settle down somewhere else.

wind_magic 12-11-2012 05:14 PM

Could make crochet easter bunnies and sell them to people at easter.

Oh you wanted a serious answer. :D

I would think that anything that needs to be done on a boat is a skill you could sell to other boaters. Someone has to keep the brightwork bright, and scrub boat bottoms, and all that.

remetau 12-11-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treilley (Post 960121)
I have been working in IT for 25 years. Programming, consulting and now management. When I throw off the lines in 2014, the last thing I will want to do is work on computers.

We will have enough saved to go out for multiple years. We will not plan on working until we come back or settle down somewhere else.

Agree, but it was IT that gave me that opportunity. Thankfully, most of it has been while also living aboard and coastal cruising.

guitarguy56 12-11-2012 06:19 PM

I'm an aerospace engineer and contract my services to many companies so I get to travel some... right now in Everett for Boeing... I do however have a side business I often do while I can live aboard although not doing it at the moment and that is restoring and servicing Italian car gauges and aircraft instruments... done many Ferraris, Maserati's, Fiats, and other Italian cars... many of my restorations have gone to Pebble Beach, Montery, and other fine car shows and have won best of show... well known in the car circuit and actually make more money at it than contract engineering...

Remetau, regarding Enovia... ha ha ha... using that right now along with Dassault Systems Catia V5 and other software to design the advanced turbine nacelle for the next generation of Boeing 737Max, 777Next, 787-10. and the new airplane program under wraps... These are skills that can be used even while travelling on the sailboat but you need high powered wi-fi or satellite internet to keep linked to the company or in other words 'virtual engineering'. :eek:

Lance-AR 12-11-2012 08:46 PM

I always pictured myself going from one harbor to the next repairing sails.