Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: ? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August

I'm glad you bought that boat. She's been calling me like a Siren for the several months she's been on the market. Really nice looking boat. Best of luck with her.
OffWeGo likes this.
Old 12-19-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

August from Port Dover is no problem.You might find some useful tips at "Primer For First Timers Heading South" and if you choose the Canal route to the Hudson "Cruising The New York State Canal System".
msmith10 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012

Stonecutter36 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecutter36

Going South??? For those that sail the Great Lakes' getting south is really three trips in one package. I won't start with the Great Lakes by now you have sailed them enough to have an understanding of what to expect. The first adventure is the locks to get out of the lakes " The Erie Barge Canal" The basic equipment for these canals is a good set of fenders the larger the better a strong fender board at least 2"X8"X10 feet long and two Ĺ" lines cut to one and a half time your boat length. I've seen 8 foot boards swallowed by the holes in the lockwalls. Mark the lines so you know how tight you are pulling each end. This will help you to not pull yourself into the wall as the water pushes the boat around when the lock fills or empties. Once you get the hang of the lines you will feel like you are on a stage coach driving a team of mules. Your deck help will need a pole to fend off as the ends of the boat swing into the wall . Don't push>>> Just hold the boat off << if you start pushing you will end fighting each others efforts. I include the Hudson River as part of this canal trip. Your first glimpse of the ocean is just that a glimpse. Should you chose to do it as an over night to Cape May or as a number of hops Manasquan, Atlantic City, Cape May. You will find it similar to sailing the Great Lakes except bigger water. What I mean is the waves are just bigger. From Cape May down the Delaware Bay through the C & D Canal and The Chesapeake Bay is trip 2. Now here a cruising ground you could get to like with lots of interesting place and adventures. If it wasn't for the winter, it gets cold here too. I would have been contented to cruise for a year or two. Nothing special needed here but you will get to test your anchoring skills and hardware. Your Dingy will now come into its own as a major means of transportation. Anchoring off cities like Baltimore Annapolis and Washington will show you an interesting contrast of old shipping cities and new industrial centers all welcoming you with their brand of hospitality. Don't miss towns like St Michaels, Smith Island or Salisbury they will provide you with a unique glimpse of history today. Read you charts carefully depths or overhead power line do block some channels. Trip 3 is the ICW or Inter Coastal Water way . A collection of cuts, lakes, sounds, rivers and other water passages devised by man and God to get you south. Endow with a variety of climate change over distance it affords you a rare opportunity to sample temperate to tropical environments on and off the water. From northern big city hustle to the warmth of southern hospitality the Intercostals Water way lays it on your door step. You are now in Florida and what lies ahead is trip 4 "foreign lands" .Don’t stop now but enjoy where you are. See you in Grenada
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2012

OffWeGo is on a distinguished road

This site is amazing, thank you to everyone for all these posts and information. Every bit is appreciated. This is going to be such a life change for DH and I, and we are so excited. I know that I am nervous too, but I look so forward to this next stage of our life together. Thank you again.
Old 12-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Have at it!!! There will be a reasonable amount of staging to pull the mast, transit the canal, then restep and tune the rig. Perhaps even have the stick shipped to the other end. Several of us have done it, if you need tips.

Then you head down the Hudson, which I had no appreciation for when I was young and growing up just north of NYC. Now, I find it one of the most beautiful rivers in the world.

Its not until you decide to exit the Hudson that you really need to worry about hurricanes. You should have plenty of notice to plan for a contingency along the way. You should check with your insurance company, however. They typically won't cover you below the Carolinas until after Nov 1, unless you have that included and pay more.

Have fun..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-19-2012

Thank you, I know my dear BIL is very happy she is staying in the family. We've had some wonderful sails both on Orial-C and his previous 30' C&C Patricia.
Old 12-19-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

There are several here on this board that live along the Hudson, myself included. I know some of us are always open for a drink as you go by! If you make the trip, feel free to contact me, and I will help with any local knowledge if possible. There is a thread by Joe the Cobbler that is still on going about much of this trip (he went from the Finger lakes down) but he seems to have found someplace in the Chesapeake to keep him occupied for a while.

Just looked at the listing on Yachtworld, She looks like a beauty!
OffWeGo likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 12-19-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Here is the thread I was talking about. Joe and I spent over an hour on the phone just gabbing about miscellaneous boating, shoe and other stuff. He seems to be quite the gregarious character for sure!

Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

15 pages long, but worth the read!
Old 12-21-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

If you do the Erie hudson Route and have the time, think about turning left at the Battery. A month or six weeks in Long Island Sound and Narragansett Bay would be highly rewarding and help prepare you for the hop off the New Jersey coast. You might find it the most enjoyable part of trip south.
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 12-21-2012

Living and breathing research! I must find a good wall map to start highlighting all these suggestions Thank you.